DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Banned

Default Looks like -CURRENT has a new toy..

So, doing my usual source-commits check.. I noticed this commit:

http://www.marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&...2327104788&w=2

Looks like OpenBSD has it's own sound server/mixer now..

Think anyone will write mplayer/vlc back ends to libsa(3) any time soon?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

What's wrong with OSS?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Administrator

Yeeeeeaaah! Another useless audio shit, yeeaaah!

Use crossplatform OSS@FreeBSD / OSS4 or die.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Banned

Wow, such negativity..

They still have the OSS compatibility layer.. as for the official OSS4, that isn't ported to OpenBSD, and it shouldn't be either.

What this allows for is a base ability to "multiplex" audio sources, i.e: instead of one program hogging the audio(4) device.. they can send data to a unix socket handled by aucat(1).

Basically it's a base replacement for things like esd or aRts.. all of which use the OSS API themselves.. a sound proxy if you will..

That is all.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Administrator

So in short it alows in kernel sound mixing of many input streams but only using new libsa and not OSS?

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Banned

In kernel? no.. aucat(1) was retrofitted with a "server" functionality.

Let's look at it this way, on OpenBSD.. the audio(4) framework is independent of ossaudio(3).

aucat(1) directly communicates with the audio(4) framework, libsa(3) communicates with aucat(1) via a Unix socket (in /tmp), if aucat isn't running.. it falls back to directly using audio(4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre Ratchov
programs can use the new libsa(3) library to play and record audio. The library provides a very simple API to connect to the audio server; if aucat(1) isn't running, it uses the audio(4) driver transparently instead.
Most 3rd party ports use ossaudio(3), wrapper library /usr/lib/libossaudio.*, or one of the other (Typically GPL'd) sound servers I mentioned above.

Everyone happy now?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Administrator

Everybody comunicates with everybody, but I still dont know what you are talking about

default:
libsa <--> aucat <--> audio

failback:
libsa <--> audio

... but where is OSS in this stack?

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Banned

It isn't anywhere, OpenBSD's audio(4) driver has it's own API.. i.e: audio(9).

libossaudio <--> audio(4) <--> audio(9) <---> Chipset specific drivers, etc

If you read the man page DESCRIPTION.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossaudio(3)
The ossaudio library provides an emulation of the OSS (Linux) audio interface.

Use the native interface for new programs and the emulation library only for porting programs.
None of the base utilities use the interface, it's only a wrapper for porting applications...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Banned

Further update, looks like they renamed it... so, libsa is now libsndio.. also, ports are already starting to get patches!

http://www.marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&...6721928989&w=2
http://www.marc.info/?t=122507731000007&r=1&w=2

From the looks of things, it coexists nicely.
Old 27th October 2008
Administrator

Any reasons why they do not want to import OSS4 / OSS@FreeBSD?

Old 27th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

OSS4 is GPL ...
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
OSS4 is GPL ...
... and BSD
... and CDDL

Old 27th October 2008
Banned

Right, OSS4 is available under all 3 licences.. but the maintainer of all things audio, doesn't want a port of OSS4.

It's a kernel module, most definitely won't end up in base.. they don't like kernel modules.

Also, they don't need to port it.. the existing interface works fine.. even if they did, OSS4 doesn't support stream multiplexing either.

From what I can tell, the consensus is.. "It's easier to keep the existing framework, and merge features from the BSD licenced OSS4 when applicable."
Old 27th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
OSS4 doesn't support stream multiplexing either.
From OSS4 wiki I get other info:

Code:
-- Transparent Software based Audio Mixer 
-- Allows applications to share the same "real" audio device
   regardless of what format is requested by the application. 
-- Ability to mix stereo and multichannel audio streams up to 7.1/200Khz/32bit.
More here: http://opensound.com/wiki/

Old 27th October 2008
Banned

You win this round champ, regardless.. my first point remains valid.

http://marc.info/?t=119976229400002&r=1&w=2

The topic was all about OSS4's BSD licenced release, Jacob Meuser, the maintainer, has already mentioned the fact that OpenBSD supports more chipsets with it's native framework.

I count 22 in the 4.3 release, for various architectures.. some are even on i2c buses.

The point is: They designed a native audio API they like, they improve it with each new release, and they've audited it for security.

So, debate over... IMHO.
Old 27th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
You win this round champ, regardless.. my first point remains valid.
That was not my point mate, to win or lose.

I just want (propably as many others) that UNIX systems should use one crossplatform "thing" for audio. Currently OSS is most populated (and always was if you do not count Linux where they reinvent the wheel every friday).

It may be libsa or even something totally new designed from scratch, but imho current best jack of all trades is OSS from FreeBSD or OSS4 (or prolably some mix of these two).

Quote:
Thanks for links about OpenBSD OSS discusion, will read them later.

The argument that it supports more chipsets is very small unfortunelly, if I recall corectly even ALSA supports more chipsets, but we all know what mess ALSA is, and how greatly "crossplatform" it is also ... or should I say crossdistro?

Old 27th October 2008
Banned

You keep trying to peddle OSS@FreeBSD, what makes that better then OpenBSD's existing framework? commits go in every day.. improving drivers, fixing bugs.. originally, OSS was proprietary.. many operating systems used the published API specifications and wrote wrappers to their already existing audio infrastructures.

Just because they open sourced the "real deal", doesn't mean everyone should drop their own codebase.. one they've maintained for years.. just because it'll make 5-6 people who can find the differences happy.

They have a compatibility layer, they have a native layer... and they have a new multiplexing layer.. many programs that have "audio support" also have support for backends.. as demonstrated by the recent SDL update, you can even switch between them at runtime.

Again, OSS was an API... people used that API to allow easy porting of applications, as a courtesy only..

If you still don't agree with this, fine.. but how is it any different from FreeBSD's implementation of OSS? why do you also assume it's better?

Eventually this will turn into a flame war, I don't want that.. to be fair, this is the OpenBSD section, and you are FreeBSD user, different philosophies are going to happen.. you're free to gloat about how better everything is in the other sections. (You know, the ones at the top of the forum index..).
Old 27th October 2008
Banned

It should also be noted that NetBSD is exactly the same in this regard, I believe OpenBSD's audio interface is a descendant of the work done in NetBSD.. including the ossaudio(3) wrapper libraries.

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi...4+NetBSD-1.3.3
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...th=OpenBSD+2.2
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi...3+NetBSD-1.3.3
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...th=OpenBSD+2.2

Often the two merge changes from each other, and NetBSD doesn't have a OSSv4 port either.

From the looks of things, tracing commit logs.. and man pages.. it's been around since the very first releases of both NetBSD and OpenBSD.

That's over 11 years of independent development my friend.. worthy of some respect.
Old 27th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
You keep trying to peddle OSS@FreeBSD, what makes that better then OpenBSD's existing framework?
I "peddle" OSS@FreeBSD or OSS4 which you forgot prolably. I "peddle" them because of easy porting audio aplications, standarization, everybody use OSS and everybody are happy, simple, even KISS.

Quote:
commits go in every day.. improving drivers, fixing bugs..
Thats what open source software is all about, whats the diffrence here?

Quote:
They have a compatibility layer, they have a native layer... and they have a new multiplexing layer..
Layers ... people love to create them, if morethen better. This is what I am talking about mate, use ONE layer everywhere, for example OSS, didnt taht makes things simpler?

Quote:
If you still don't agree with this, fine.. but how is it any different from FreeBSD's implementation of OSS? why do you also assume it's better?
We do not have to agree, but we can respect each other.

Better? Its just very good OSS implementation that works very good, you do not have to port anything if it comes to audio part of the port, it will just work.

Quote:
Eventually this will turn into a flame war, I don't want that.. to be fair, this is the OpenBSD section, and you are FreeBSD user, different philosophies are going to happen.. you're free to gloat about how better everything is in the other sections. (You know, the ones at the top of the forum index..).
As every other section its purpose is discussion, what discusion you would have with all the same votes, "yes its great", "indeed, its fabulous", "yeah its the best", "right, thats the way to go", you see ANY discusion in recent quotes?

The things we currently do in this thread is discussion, but I think that you are taking it little too personally mate.

Old 27th October 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Better? Its just very good OSS implementation that works very good, you do not have to port anything if it comes to audio part of the port, it will just work.
What lead you to believe OpenBSD's ossaudio(3) wrapper is broken or incapable? as I said, many things in the ports tree use it.. ossaudio(3) and libsndio(3) are essentially alternative frontends to the native audio(4) API.

libsndio(3) could theoretically be ported to other systems, but in the end.. it's a simplified way to access all the features of the audio(4) API that might not be directly possible with the libossaudio(3) wrapper.

I admit, I'm getting "protective".. but both you and Carpetsmoker came here advertising OSS4/OSS@FreeBSD as the only solutions to the Unix-sound problem.

I'm not aware of the statistics, but many people use the Esd/aRts/Jack flavours instead of OSS directly. (Due to it not being a "requirement" of the API to concatenate multiple audio streams into 1.)

What harm is there in having a base library capable of fulfilling the functionality of these.. GPL.. library? I myself don't use the Esd/aRts/Jack flavours of ports due to the often complex configuration requirements.. as a punishment, I can only listen to sound in 1 application at a time..

Let's just close this topic, I respect both of you immensely.. in many matters were likely agree 100%.. but it is clear this isn't one of them.