DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Banned

Default compatibility layers

FREEBSD_COMPAT was also yanked recently, quite honestly, I wish it was COMPAT_LINUX that got pushed in front of a whale.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Banned

Is there anyway of re-enabling FREEBSD_COMPAT? Even though I have FreeBSD on the Sunblade now, I have another disk and another machine I can run OpenBSD on. The compat would be a nice feature if it is available for the sparc64.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Banned

No, the source code was placed in the CVS attic.. it only ever worked on i386, and it hasn't been maintained in years.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default COMPAT_LINUX versus FREBSD_COMPAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
FREEBSD_COMPAT was also yanked recently, quite honestly, I wish it was COMPAT_LINUX that got pushed in front of a whale.
Well, that would break use of the Flash plugin with Opera, acroread, and building the older JDKs for the browser plugin, so I guess not everybody agrees.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Banned

What's your point?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Biscuit View Post
Is there anyway of re-enabling FREEBSD_COMPAT? Even though I have FreeBSD on the Sunblade now, I have another disk and another machine I can run OpenBSD on. The compat would be a nice feature if it is available for the sparc64.
What do you use that requires FREEBSD_COMPAT? FreeBSD emulator in the ports is very old, based on FreeBSD 4.11's libs.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by girarde View Post
Well, that would break use of the Flash plugin with Opera, acroread, and building the older JDKs for the browser plugin, so I guess not everybody agrees.
All of these are very outdated and OpenBSD developers seem not wanting to continue supporting Linux emulation because it requires a lot of work to run on OpenBSD. Linux emulation in the ports hasn't been updated for a while.

I think someone's working on adding icedtea to OpenBSD so there would be a JRE plugin for browsers. I do not know if there is any progress.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk1st View Post
All of these are very outdated and OpenBSD developers seem not wanting to continue supporting Linux emulation because it requires a lot of work to run on OpenBSD. Linux emulation in the ports hasn't been updated for a while.

I think someone's working on adding icedtea to OpenBSD so there would be a JRE plugin for browsers. I do not know if there is any progress.
When icedtea works, great, but there still exists a meaningful requirement for a java plugin, at least if you intend to do online banking.