DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 23rd September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
OpenBSD FAQ refers to xorg.conf.d? I don't believe that is true.
I'm talking about the "following -current" part.It's in the upper links.Jggimi posted it for the first time then i repost it in a later answer.
Old 23rd September 2011
Banned

The FAQ only suggests you remove the xorg.conf file and allow the X server to automatically configure the keyboard, based the on wscons keymap, see kbd(8).

It does not suggest you migrate to xorg.conf.d, you can use setxkbmap(1) in your .xinitrc/.xsession file or continue using xorg.conf.
Old 23rd September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
The FAQ only suggests you remove the xorg.conf file and allow the X server to automatically configure the keyboard, based the on wscons keymap, see kbd(8).

It does not suggest you migrate to xorg.conf.d, you can use setxkbmap(1) in your .xinitrc/.xsession file or continue using xorg.conf.
But there's also another link which leads here:

http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/do...html#id2548546

Which suggests using xorg.conf.d .
Old 23rd September 2011
Banned

Yes, but that's upstream Xorg preference, which as I said is migrating to xorg.conf.d (..directory of config files) vs a single classic xorg.conf.

That site also states you can use setxkbmap, and the reader is assumed to understand that on OpenBSD, you can add the relevant lines to your xorg.conf.
Old 23rd September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
That site also states you can use setxkbmap
I agree.In fact if you check my posts you can see that i also mention this option as a command to change the keyboard layout.
Old 23rd September 2011
Banned

Yes, preferred method on OpenBSD, and I believe was the part they wanted you to read.
Old 23rd September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Yes, preferred method on OpenBSD, and I believe was the part they wanted you to read.
I believe that i should read any info provided.And i don't believe that 's the *only* thing they wanted me or anyone else to read.

Last edited by sepuku; 23rd September 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 23rd September 2011
Banned

The relevant bits on the page are applicable to OpenBSD, and can be added to xorg.conf or set manually in your .xinitrc/.xsession scripts.

They're trying to get automatic configuration working, so that the xf86-input-wscons driver can accept a keyboard layout configured system-wide using the system supported wscons layouts or using XKB layouts configured using either setxkbmap(1) or using deprecated file-based configuration, which includes both xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d.

The -current FAQ simply states,
Quote:
If you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that exists mainly to set keyboard type and nationality that file should be removed.
Meaning, if you only created the file for keyboard configuration, you should switch to using the user-specific setxkbmap configuration.

For many people, you do not need to have an xorg.conf (..or xorg.conf.d for that matter!). However, it is often neccessary for video cards that need additional quirks to run properly.

That -FAQ entry was NOT suggesting you remove xorg.conf for all purposes it serves OR switch to xorg.conf.d.

I'm not going to argue with you any longer, I'm giving you the facts, if you're running into some sort of language barrier, I simply can't help you overcome that.
Old 23rd September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
For many people, you do not need to have an xorg.conf (..or xorg.conf.d for that matter!). However, it is often neccessary for video cards that need additional quirks to run properly.

I never said "hey people that's what you must do".It's what i did and worked for me and wanted to share it.

You are negative without any specific reason at the moment.If you are not going to argue then simply don't.You don't have to say you will not.If you don't then it's obvious you did not argue.

Tags
adding keyboard layouts, greek layout, openbsd5 snapshot