DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Programming

Programming C, bash, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, you name it.

View Poll Results: What is the best web programming language?
Perl 7 21.21%
PHP 13 39.39%
Python 6 18.18%
Ruby 3 9.09%
Java 0 0%
JavaScript 0 0%
AJAX 1 3.03%
ASP.NET 0 0%
VB.NET 0 0%
Other 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Best Web Application Language

Hello,

What do you think is the best web application language for creating things such as forums, blogs, shopping carts, etc.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2008
Arp Constable

If you like Perl, Perl is best: if not, PHP5+ is best imho.

I like working in Perl but generally find PHP easier for generating pages. If I had to convert a data set to HTML, I would prefer Perl . But when it comes to just handling webpages, PHP5. Although imho PHP has a lot more (annoying) short-comings then Perl; it can be quite nice to work in and is getting better to work in as time progresses (PHP6). The only really bad thing I can say about PHP, I usually find tri-lingual tangles of it that makes improving my back-swing look like a lot more fun...

However, I do admit, I would really like to try Python and Ruby On Rails someday for my web needs. In some shape or form though, you can really use any language server side but it may as well be a fun one ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2008
Port Guard

This really interests me, I don't have any web-programming experience, probably will start with python (django).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2008
New User

How about Smalltalk (the Squeak version). It has a very interesting way of handling the call backs, basically retaining the state for you when using the Seaside framework. Then your web application looks like normal application.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2008
Spam Deminer

Perl, no doubt.
Ruby on Rails as runner-up.Could change my opinion when I will be more litterate on this last one.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

The most used language on the web is Java. PHP is widely used. The trend I'm picking up in new languages is Python over Ruby because people are finding cracks in Ruby they don't like.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Java ?!
Are you sure about that?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
The most used language on the web is Java.
I find that very hard to believe.

Cite your sources!
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Source1
Source2
Old 22nd September 2008
Arp Constable

I can't say how often Java is used (since I don't work in the field), but I've seen many a site that appears to be using JSP. And I have also had one major US/Can store give me an unhandled NullPointerException with full backtrace when using their website xD

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 24th September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

drhowarddrfine, unless I am mistaken or missed something, those only show graphs for overall language usage, not for web language usage ... Which are of course two different things
Port Guard

Can you define best? Are we talking most used, fastest (either in runtime speed or perhaps overall development time), manageability of the code base, inherent security model, flexibility, etc?? I find I use PHP quite a bit for web development work simply because it is almost universal through web hosts and so many scripts and libraries are available for it ..
Old 24th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

@carpetsmoker,
True because 100% of all Java programmers are not doing it for the web but the only other thing to go on is what you see for yourself and, perhaps, the "help wanted" on the job boards. Coincidentally, on another forum, someone brought up this same subject. Last year, I ran through the job boards of 5/6 major cities: San Francisco, LA, NY, Chicago, St. Louis and one more to see who was hiring for what. In that case, the comparison was between PHP, Java and .NET. PHP ads outnumbered .NET 4:1 and Java was even higher.

When somebody posted the question today, I looked at monster.com for listings in San Jose (essentially Silicon Valley). Java outnumbers .NET 109 to 39 listings.
Old 19th October 2008
Python Wrangler

I'd say Python is making great headway and I'm really not a fan of Ruby for reasons already outlined (cracks, etc.).

Java seems to be great, less issues than it used to have, but I'm not even remotely fluent with the basics, so I guess that's a point of great bias. I'd love to be, but I've had no time to be (we'll fix that later, I hope!). I still think Java is great for websites/webapps.

Perhaps Java is more widely used for LAN/intranet/infranstructure, which is where I have experienced it most, and it does exceptionally well there. At the same time it does, at times, have a heavy feel, but having built in features and Sun's lovely gift of identity management, etc., was sure to do that, I guess. Seriously, Java is great in itself, I just hate the sluggish and broken applets idiots keep putting on the intranets... I'm sure they'd be fine if they weren't poorly hacked together.
Old 19th October 2008
New User

I don't know if it's the best, but I know what I like, and that is Perl. I tried PHP & Linux when I was getting into *nix things because they were shiny and had the buzz. First I migrated to NetBSD, and then Perl.

Within the *nix community, there is an incredible variety of technology. Find the one you take a shine to, the one that resonates with you, the one that fits with your way of thinking and go for it.
Old 19th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

CGI in asm is the only way to go.
Old 19th October 2008
Python Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Why not go the whole hog and get a monkey with a 9v battery and some resistors in its mouth to lick the exposed cable ends at some great speed?

It's a dialect of ... LOLPYTHON?
Old 20th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo319 View Post
I don't know if it's the best, but I know what I like, and that is Perl. I tried PHP & Linux when I was getting into *nix things because they were shiny and had the buzz. First I migrated to NetBSD, and then Perl.

Within the *nix community, there is an incredible variety of technology. Find the one you take a shine to, the one that resonates with you, the one that fits with your way of thinking and go for it.
If you don't mind, could you tell us why you prefer Perl over PHP? Certain features, language syntax, portability, etc.?
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Old 21st October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Absolutely agree and, in fact, I've done this recently.
Old 21st November 2008
vigol

According to the Natural structure of the W3C and furute of the Web, and of course my opinions, there's a warm Sahara in front of the proprietary system like C#/ASP.NET even with some elegant frameworks like 3.5 or even 35.0!