DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2009
Port Guard

Default netbsd 5 xorg no mouse[Solved]

I have done a complete installation (all sets) of netbsd 5 64 bit on my laptop. I have installed gnome on my laptop using the pkgsrc gnome meta pkg. Then I installed modular xorg using this wiki http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg. I then create a config file for X using the command.
Code:
X -configure
and moved the config file to /etc/X11/. I also added dbus, hal and gdm to rc.conf. When i rebooted gdm didn't start so I removed xorg.conf and reboot, this time gdm started but mouse wasn't working . So I edited the xorg.conf and changed the mouse device entry to /dev/wsmouse and protocol to wsmouse and rebooted but gdm didn't start this time. So please help me figure out how to set xorg conf properly. I am unable to add dumps of my config files as I am using fedora live cd to write this post.

When I added wsmoused to rc.conf, the mouse is working in the console but not in xorg.

Last edited by jaideep_jdof; 17th September 2009 at 03:48 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2009
Port Guard

Since 5.0 release there is no need for installing Xorg from pkgsrc, becouse it's in base installation. If you really had installed ALL sets, you probably have parallel two version of xorg, first from installation and second from pkgsrc. Maybe this is the problem?

Try also running gnome without gdm. Add
Code:
exec gnome-session
to your .xinitrc file in home directory and try with [B[startx[/B]. If it works, maybe we will be able to resolve at least one problem, with working mouse.

Best Regards,
Tom
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

My suggestion to add on is to begin by not using wsmoused, for two reasons:

1) It's only used for the console, so if you want to boot into gdm or some such, it's not needed; but the main reason is:

2) If wsmoused is not configured just right it can cause big problems with X. With prior versions of NetBSD it would lock up my computer. (Related to this configuration you need to look at the xconsole parameter in wsmoused.conf(5).)

So I would not put "wsmoused=YES" in /etc/rc.conf at this stage. Once you have the GUI working, you could return to it and see if you can make it work compatibly.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2009
Port Guard

I have disabled wsmoused from my rc.conf and added gnome-session to my .xinitrc, gnome desktop starts using startx but mouse is not working. Is there a way to uninstall the xset which i installed during system installation. Do I have to reinstall netbsd, I dont want to recompile gnome again. Is there a binary package for the gnome meta pkg for amd64. I searched on this ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pack...amd64/5.0/All/ but there is no such package, there is one for i386.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2009
Port Guard

I hope it will be helpful:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=2999
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2009
Port Guard

So if I re install netbsd and unselect xset during installation, and then install xorg using http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg, the mouse should work theme right?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2009
Package Pilot

First, you don't need to reinstall NetBSD. I would suggest removing Xorg you installed through pkgsrc by using pkg_delete. There is nothing wrong with the one that came with base OS. I say that because when you come to update the system leter it would be much easier to update Xorg that way.

Create simple xorg.conf and try starting Xorg. Then note down the errors (if any) it spits on screen, or look for errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or maybe /var/log/messages.

I would also suggest you copy the config files to a USB disk, then using Fedora you could give them here.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2009
Port Guard

So if i do pkg_delete -R for modular-xorg-server, modular-xorg-apps, modular-xorg-fonts, xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse, xf86-video-intel then the issue will be fixed. One more thing should i use -R or -r with pkg_delete.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2009
Package Pilot

You will be fine with pkg_delete without any options. In case you want to know what will have happened if you use one, run pkg_delete -nR package or pkg_delete -nr package and decide if you need those options. Option -n means it will display what would happen, but will not actually deinstall anything.

Also, see the following from pkgsrc guide: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/us...ing.pkg_delete
Old 15th September 2009
Port Guard

I removed all the xorg packages i installed from pkgsrc and added gnome-session to .xinitrc and used startx , the mouse works fine now but gdm still doesn't start, gdm starts if i remove the xorg.conf file which i generated using the command X -configure but then mouse doesn't work.
Old 15th September 2009
Port Guard

While you have properly configured mouse, try to run gdm command (instead of startx) and check if the mouse is working.

If it works, add gdm command to /etc/rc.local, maybe it will work.
Old 15th September 2009
Port Guard

what is the difference between rc.conf and rc.local, and when I auto generate xorg.conf the mouse device is /dev/mouse which i change to /dev/wsmouse and mouse protocol is auto which i change to wsmouse are these correct entries.
Old 16th September 2009
Port Guard

Seems like some of the reply got deleted some how. I want to thank every one for the help. I managed to fix all the issues, so thanks every one.
Old 16th September 2009
Package Pilot

Yes, some posts are missing, see this thread.

I'm glad it's working now. Could you tell us what you did to make it work? Later someone might be having the same issue as you did, he/she could run on this thread but there will be no solution.
Old 16th September 2009
Port Guard

Solution:
1) Remove all the modular xorg package installed using pkgsrc.
2) Reboot your system with the netbsd installed cd and select upgrade option and select the xserver and related sets for installation.
3) Generate a new xorg.conf using X -configure and place it in /etc/X11/.
4) Then restart your gdm.
5) Enjoy NetBSD.
Old 19th October 2009
Arp Constable

Along the lines of this thread. I installed NetBSD 5.0.1to Via C3 cpu based Asus C3 Terminator barebones with sata drives. I installed the xsets during installation.

The onboard video driver needs either "via", or better yet the openchrome drivers which are in package source.

It was a PITA to install as I had to put the drive in another computer.

My Xorg.0.log indicated the openchrome driver is not available. Can I mix the pkgsrc xf86-video-openchrome drivers with the xsets or do I have do go back and reinstall without xsets and build a modular xorg?

Last edited by shep; 19th October 2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 20th October 2009
Package Pilot

Yes, offcourse. Just install the xf86-video-openchrome and change the entry in xorg.conf.