DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2008
New User

Default FreeBSD KDE/GUI DESKTOP HELP

i downloaded the freebsd 7.0 and went through the sysinstall. Once i installed the freebsd on my system i was not able to get a gui desktop like kde 3.5 up and running. I'm completely baffled at this point and dont know what i did wrong. I been racking my brains out on this for quite some time. I've been working with linux for over 2 and a half years so i'm quite familiar with how kde is suppose to work along with the x11 / xorg. I tried going in a terminal and typing startx (like i normally would do if it was a linux problem) but the startx solution didnt seem to help either. i tried reading the handbook and got completely lost with it. Can somebody please give me a very very simplified detail instruction of what i'm suppose to do during the setup installation process in order to get the freebsd desktop kde to show up. I'm a complete newbie at any bsd system. Thanks for all your help
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

X11 configuration
X Display Manager (optional)
Desktop Environments
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2008
New User

im actually having difficulty at this part

After KDE has been installed, the X server must be told to launch this application instead of the default window manager. This is accomplished by editing the .xinitrc file:
% echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc

can anybody tell me where the .xinitrc is located and how i edit it. i think i either need to use nano or ee for the editor but im not sure the exact command i need.

same thing with the kdm
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

1. (!!!) If you didn't configure X11 as written in chapter of the first link you wouldn't be able to launch Xorg at all whether with .xinitrc or not.
2. If you didn't configure display manager (such as xdm, gdm, slim or in your situation most preferable kdm) you would have to launch X with % startx command.
3. All paths started with ~/* are located in your "home" directory. Right after installation there is no ~/.xinitrs file but the command % echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc will create it automatically with 'exec startkde' in it. So there is no need to edit it manually.
Also you should remember that most (if not all) file managers (including dolphin, konquerror and krusader) treat files and directories starting with '.' (the very same .xinitrc) as hidden items. You have to set the "show hidden files" flag to see them. Though mc behaves like that by default. So if you executed echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc command then the file is on its place.
But I repeat without configured X11 this won't work.

Last edited by greencross; 5th July 2008 at 06:26 AM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

PS. By default FreeBSD includes ee and vi text editors so you can choose what you prefer or install your favorite editor via ports or packages.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2008
Arp Constable

Unless you are familiar with vi, you should use ee -> it's simple and easy to use.

(installing nano or your favorite console editor is also a good option)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Tags
desktop, gui, kde, x window