DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2008
New User

Default Rosewill RC-218

I posted a message to the freebsd-hardware mailing list, but I may as well post one here. So far this is the only low end SATA controller that provides SATA II through PCI-Express and allows for adequate expansion. Sadly though, this seems to cause kernel panics in BSD. I assume it's because high point uses the marvell chipset and it assumes it's a rocket raid controller. I was wonder on what the status of a generic port of the marvell 8xxxx SATA chipsets to BSD. Linux has a driver, the sata_mv drivers, will there soon be one for BSD?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

I'm not sure offhand, but have you perchance tried it under the latest RELENG_7 or even HEAD to see if it works alright using the most recent kernel code available?

If we've got it, that's where it'll be.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2008
New User

I'm using RELENG_7 at the moment, but I have not yet tried to migrate to current. The issue with migrating to current is that I would have to build things from source, and this installation is on a compact flash card. So many rewrites through compilation may pretty much kill the CF. I guess I can specify an alternative build path for the source tree (via prefix) and have it build the packages on the zpool.