DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2016
New User

Default OpenBSD - where do you use it?

Just a general question for talk and wondering what the communities thoughts are about OpenBSD.
A little about me, I have been using the BSD's for many years. I was introduced way back when they were started in 1999. I have at least one desktop or laptop running OpenBSD or FreeBSD. Also I have other computers running Linux, Mac OS, as I am just a general computer nut. My friends use to joke about how I was a backup backbone site for the Internet back in the day because I had so many running systems.
Fast forward to 2016 and OpenBSD is still alive and kicking, but the world has changed, everyone runs around with an Android or iOS phone in their pocket. I have been working in Information Technology for close to 20 years and all the companies I have been employed at are using Windows. New smaller companies seem to be using the web version of Microsoft products (Office365).
By contrast the BSD community, over the years, has been the most helpful and friendly sort of people I would like to work around. Here's my question, when and where is OpenBSD still being used very actively?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2016
Marveled user

I use OpenBSD 5.1 on my old Pentium 3 laptop, it works perfectly.
I use OpenBSD 5.3 on my Sun Blade, works nice, but the video is poorly supported.
But I don't use them very often, just to make some tests.

I use daily OpenBSD 5.7 on my ThinkPad, to work (Qt, PostgreSQL, LibreOffice, etc...).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2016
Spam Deminer

I use a laptop as a home computer and it has had OpenBSD on it for two years.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2016
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

I've been using it on my router/firewall for years. I also used it on the Desktop for a while, several years ago. Before that I used Slackware. Now, after several years of OSX and an increasingly outdated install (to put it mildly) I'm in the process of putting OpenBSD on my Desktop again. This time hopefully for good.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2016
More noise than signal

I use -stable on production servers and build machines, -current on workstations. Servers provide network services (routing, dhcp, dns, monitoring, ...) and a variety of mail, web, and general application services.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2016
The World is Yours.

I use it at home on a workstation, firewall, and a laptop.

I work in IT for a Fortune 500, which is mostly RedHat (bare metal host), Windows (virtual servers to host AD infrastructure and exchange), FreeBSD (zfs file servers and routers).

For personal computing, OpenBSD because it is simple to understand and maintain compared to the complicated work infrastructure. I just want something that works that I'm familiar with when I'm not "working." I spent more than half of my life using BSD. First installed FreeBSD at age 13, and that is approaching 20 years ago. Came to OpenBSD six years ago.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2016
Shell Scout

I came to OpenBSD, more or less by accident. I'd used various Linux flavours for many years (15?) and tried out FreeBSD once or twice within that time. Two years ago I decided to give OpenBSD a whirl and gradually used it more and more. I now have -current on my desktop and 3 Thinkpads (i386 and amd64). I keep Linux on one Thinkpad because I need Skype when my wife is abroad; also I very occasionally have to use Flash.

Very unfashionably, I don't have a smartphone of any description; just a very basic mobile (cellphone).

Incidentally, my persistence with OpenBSD was quite a lot thanks to the knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum who patiently answered my newbie questions, so my sincere thanks to you all.

Last edited by acampbell; 12th August 2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammatical
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2016
Open Source Software user

I have always favoured lightweight operating systems, easier to get to know & less to go wrong.
I prefered DOS over Windows, & then found Linux in its infancy, tried to use it, but my computer was too under powered.

When I got a better box, I tried again, & this time I was able to start to learn how a 'real' OS worked.

I still only have the basics nailed, but have used Linux, (first RedHat & then Debian), since 1999.

Somewhere along the line, I came across & investigated BSD, first FreeBSD, then NetBSD, & finally OpenBSD.
I have OpenBSD on a netbook & a desktop as a general desktop OS, but I mainly use my favourite Linux distro, which is AntiX, of which I use the 'base' version for preference.

I need Linux because I do a lot of Youtube, both watching & uploading, if it wasn't for that, likely OpenBSD would be my OS of choice.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2016
Package Pilot

I am writing this from Lumina Desktop, OpenBSD 6.0 current.
I want to show support for a group of developers that have given so much back, I believe OpenBSD with it clear purpose of security is a vital part of the ecosystem that leads to these security innovation that later become adopted of other systems.
I feel somewhat more secure with this human readable system, that has been audited, and that is somewhat exotic, and less profitable for attackers to learn.
And as I explore i find part i like, bsd.rd is a very robust installer, I have had, windows, and ubuntu installer fail to install, bsd.rd finish it trough every time, as long as it have found network card and internet conection, it will not stop due to scratch on cd media like other installer do.
So easy to just add bsd.rd to / to upgrade to next base system.

Wish list for OpenBSD:
File system for SSD, to reduce wear of the SSD.

Wish list for OpenBSD foundation
Transparency regarding code, was a part of the reason OpenBSD was made i believe. This transparency is lacking regarding the OpenBSD foundation.
I just read news some time ago 2014: "One month ago, OpenBSD put the call out for a corporate sponsor to handle the project's CA$20,000 annual electricity bil"
Money should be spent on developers.
Se FreeBSD foundation for ideas for how it should be done.
Old 12th August 2016
OpenBSD language porter

I hear there's this shell service running OpenBSD: https://devio.us/
It's generally not difficult to find OpenBSD running in the wild, you just need to know how to look (which, notably, is much different than where to look).

I do take issue to one thing said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psypro View Post
Wish list for OpenBSD foundation
Transparency regarding code, was a part of the reason OpenBSD was made i believe. This transparency is lacking regarding the OpenBSD foundation.
I just read news some time ago 2014: "One month ago, OpenBSD put the call out for a corporate sponsor to handle the project's CA$20,000 annual electricity bil"
How is the OpenBSD Foundation not being transparent? http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html

Quote:
Money should be spent on developers.
Se FreeBSD foundation for ideas for how it should be done.
Not really sure how the OpenBSD Foundation isn't spending money on developers?
Old 12th August 2016
Package Pilot

I made a septate thread about the foundation.
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9920

Cool to see AsiaBSD con speaker. What a great forum, with so many informed users.

RIght now I have a OpenBSD httpd based web-server, (very easy to setup), and a separate OpenBSD seedbox for linux/bsd torrents. Working good so fare.
Old 12th August 2016
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Cool to see AsiaBSD con speaker. What a great forum, with so many informed users.
That custom title is in jest. While it's true that I have spoken at AsiaBSDCon (and BSDCan, and vBSDCon, and NYC*BUG, and CDBUG, and been interviewed twice on BSDTalk and twice on BSD Now and once on BSDMag, and am a core organizer of NYCBSDCon, and guest lecture all the time in university courses specifically on *BSD...), my speaking is very much not what I'm known for.