DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Book reviews

Book reviews Reviews of books related to BSD and computing in general.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2017
just passing through

Default Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Edition

Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd Edition
by Bertrand Meyer

ISBN 0-13-629155-4

Quote:
This Jolt Award winner takes the reader through the clear, logical, and comprehensive formation of a method for object-oriented software development ... the Eiffel method. During this journey, the author evolves a notation capable of expressing the products of each phase of development, from analysis through implementation. This notation is the Eiffel programming language.
website
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2017
just passing through

I've only been reading this book for a little over a week but I am blown away by the clarity and sobriety of the writing style (especially for a computer-programming/software-engineering book).

Later this year or early next year I will probably start the development of a GUI application similar to vcode that will need to be deployed on multiple platforms. This book, in conjunction with the EiffelStudio, the standard, and the rich set of developer documentation, is beginning to look like it might be a complete, coherent solution with exceptional quality. It will be a few more months before I can make a decision but it is very possible that I might buy into this methodology wholeheartedly for this type of application. (Uh oh, did I drink the kool-aid?)

Last edited by hanzer; 27th August 2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: polish
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2017
just passing through

I was wrong. The book is just another unhinged sales pitch of evangelical fervor. The communication style rapidly degrades into an OCD/Tourette's-like battology with interpersonal metaphors and anthropomorphic perspectives that is so typical of computer science and software engineering books. BTW - I don't think this domain of human activity is anything like a science or engineering institution; it's more like wild religions of pseudo-intellectual techno-cults.

Last edited by hanzer; 31st August 2017 at 12:13 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Is there any book you would recommend about OOP?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2017
just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
Is there any book you would recommend about OOP?
I'm not familiar with the OO technology landscape. My initial enthusiasm in EiffelStudio was that this might be a complete, coherent toolkit that could be used to build a reasonably efficient and reliable, cross-platform, embedded-multimedia GUI application. Very significantly, regarding my enthusiasm, is that a complete solution includes a mature, well-developed human interface to the tool-set (documentation, tutorials, reference material, cookbooks, community, etc.), and at first pass, something like that seemed to exist. And finally, that the tool-set/method is based on a convenient set of principles that could be comprehensible and competently usable without extensive investment in training and practice. As it turns out, the enthusiasm was premature and probably due mostly to a projection of hope[1] and need[2]. Two or three weeks of research (a rather high cost) produced a more realistic assessment.

[1]: a hope that software "engineering" technology isn't the degenerate cesspool of gang and cult nonsense that it seems to be
[2]: a need for usable technology.

Last edited by hanzer; 11th September 2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: punctuation
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th September 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
toolkit that could be used to build a reasonably efficient and reliable, cross-platform, embedded-multimedia GUI application
Maybe just use {C++, QT5} or {Java, JavaFX}? The latter probably is slightly less responsive, but I would not be suprised it would be responsive enough.