DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2015
Shell Scout

Default Upgrading -current today caused problems

I upgraded -current today after about a month to 2015-09-14. That went OK but when I tried to upgrade the packages from 2015-09-13 all of them failed, apparently owing to library problems. It looks as if there is a discrepancy at present; no doubt the solution is to wait a few days.

A more serious problem was that startx failed, complaining about openssl not finding libssl3.so.37.1 and consequent inability to create a cookie. I was able to work round this by commenting out the lines in /usr/X11R6/bin/startx that test for the cookie, though I don't fully understand what is happening here. Presumably this also arises from the package upgrade failures?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2015
More noise than signal

Whenever there is a library bump, the possibilities of package mismatches occurs, and pkg_add(1) will not update packages if it notes library inconsistencies.

There have been a LOT of library updates this past week, because a Hackathon has been underway. The snapshot you were using was built during the Hackathon. Xenocara, kernel, and userland development occur simultaneously at these events and sometimes, due to the pace of change, snapshots may have internal inconsistencies. The -current branch *is* the development branch, and -current users need to be aware of the types of changes underway. Subscribing to source-changes@ can help.

Hackathons are not announced to the general community. Perhaps we should be warned. During Hackathons, the pace of change typically triples.

The next snapshot should resolve these issues for you.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2015
Shell Scout

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it must be something like that.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2015
More noise than signal

Things should be settling down now. According to the schedule on Bob Beck's shirt, anyway.

http://pic.twitter.com/LCONN7YyaJ

---
Edited to add:

Here's more information on Hackathons. It includes a better image of that shirt, and many others.

http://www.openbsd.org/hackathons.html

Last edited by jggimi; 15th September 2015 at 10:36 AM.