DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th September 2009
Security Geek

Default DNS Hosting

I currently have accounts with three domain registrars, hosting various domains for both business and personal uses. Each of these has varying degrees of functionality and I'd like to consolidate them to one DNS Hosting Provider. This provider must be able to offer me the ability to set all the usual (e.g. A, CNAME, MX, NS, SOA, TXT, PTR) and also offer the capability for URL redirection (i.e. my regional company domains like .eu and .cn that I simply point back to my main .com). I do not want to have to run my own DNS servers. Security and reliability are the most important concerns for me.

Initial searches have led me to check out DNSPark and UltraDNS. Has anyone had experiences (good, bad or otherwise) with either of these, or maybe suggest other providers which I should consider?

Thanks!
Nick
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th September 2009
Tcpdump Spy

I have experience with FreeDNS and EasyDNS.
FreeDNS is, well, free. It works pretty well, when I launched this site I used it here to, but it didn't seem very well suited to any serious traffic.
Still use it for my personal site and stuff and for that it works well.

I've been using EasyDNS for the most of this site's existence and am rather satisfied with them.

Quote:
and also offer the capability for URL redirection (i.e. my regional company domains like .eu and .cn that I simply point back to my main .com)
Best done on webserver IMO so you can get a proper 301/302 HTTP return code and not some javascript linkthing.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2009
Security Geek

Thanks carpetsmoker, will check those out.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

I've had a free account at DNSpark for a few years. I never used it much, and barely use it at all nowadays (so am not sure how much useful I can say).

I can add A, CNAME, NS, MX and TXT records, not sure if a paid account offers more. The web interface seems ok. At first I was a total newb to this, but was able to get it going.

I set the IP address using ddclient. This has not been totally reliable though over time; I'm not sure why.

If you haven't already, you might want to check their system status page in case it gives any insight into reliability.