DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2015
More noise than signal

Default Opera will be removed for 5.8

Opera is a commercial, proprietary browser that has only ever been available for the i386 architecture, using compat_linux(8). It was not available as a package, only as a scripted "port" for installation, as the license did not permit redistribution of Opera binaries.

Per this thread in ports@, this version is no longer maintained, newer versions will not run under compat_linux(8), and there are other browsers available.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2015
Spam Deminer

Shareware method to upgrade it to openbsd, freebsd, dragonflybsd, full time coder with 4 effective employers (the fourth opera... and a probable
nondisclosure of code) I for one bought it on
windows98 and would have no problem doing so again...

OR, that is too much work for one or two people vs 2002-era
internet. In which case this post is just wishful thinking.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2015
More noise than signal

The OpenBSD Project is disinterested collectively (due to Project policy) in any NDA with any vendor for access to proprietary source code under any circumstances. That's the "Open" of OpenBSD.
The Opera port was added at a time when there were very few graphical browsers available for OpenBSD, and it was a useful expedient at the time. I can recall no other binary large object block (blob) in the ports tree.
I haven't seen any follow-on post on ports@ from any individual (or development group) who stated they would open negotiations with Opera Software ASA with the goal of obtaining NDAs and other appropriate contracts with Opera, with the intent of porting their newer browser to OpenBSD or other BSD-based systems. If you wan't to investigate what it would take, you're welcome to contact Opera and ask.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2015
Spam Deminer

Considering that the latest Opera is just another chromium based browser, a la Google Chrome, the answer would probably be: www/chromium.

I wonder how long before compat-linux goes the same way?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2015
Daemonology student

After using Opera for more than a decade (since around 2000) on Windows and FreeBSD and being very disappointed with what happened to it and with the company's policies, I can only say one thing: good effing riddance.

Use Otter instead. Opera is dead. Case closed.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
I wonder how long before compat-linux goes the same way?
Rules of conduct are getting some attention in the FreeBSD camp. My personal rules for OpenBSD: Use no wrappers, Use no emulations.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Rules of conduct are getting some attention in the FreeBSD camp. My personal rules for OpenBSD: Use no wrappers, Use no emulations.
+1
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
Shareware method to upgrade it to openbsd, freebsd, dragonflybsd, full time coder with 4 effective employers (the fourth opera... and a probable
nondisclosure of code) I for one bought it on
windows98 and would have no problem doing so again...

OR, that is too much work for one or two people vs 2002-era
internet. In which case this post is just wishful thinking.
What are you talking about? Opera is dead almost 2 years. People just don't get it. It was not about UI it was about Presto engine. Otter or new Opera or whatever nonsense people can come up with is just Google Chrome. If I wanted to use Chrome and its spyware crappy Webkit engine I would be typing this from Chromium.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2015
Spam Deminer

I installed otter from ports yesterday and while it's ok, it's just another chromium/webkit based browser styled as opera 12 - and not really 'fully cooked'. Without the presto engine, I really can't see the point. And some people thought they'd eventually do a full source release of opera 12/presto...
Old 22nd July 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
What are you talking about? Opera is dead almost 2 years. People just don't get it. It was not about UI it was about Presto engine. Otter or new Opera or whatever nonsense people can come up with is just Google Chrome. If I wanted to use Chrome and its spyware crappy Webkit engine I would be typing this from Chromium.
[1]

a...Keeping the presto engine and UI going in any way possible. Just not within
my area of expertise, as evidenced by the replies. Sorry!...

c,d... cannot comment on chrome (does not run here, mysterious library
dependency quirk )... but just then a news article linked at ycombinator.com,
someone off-topic reported problems with chromium/firefox and reverted to
lynx or links.. Does not load in opera (ssl settings) but in seamonkey (mozilla
engine) the GPU starts ramping up the noise level, making the page
problematic.

e... Still wonder if legacy opera (presto engine) can be tweaked to
within licensing run in a jailed chroot, virtualbox, bhyve, etc. to get around
its seeming no-longer-installable-soon status
May be wasting my time, maybe not.
I had it running in a not-complete-chroot to fix a font issue, but upgrading
FreeBSD versions may have broken that. The font issue is fixed, so unable
to spend the time to test.

[1] This is stuff I think about but have no time for, for the most part. I apologize
if I'm wasting anyone's time even posting about it... freely ignore all my posts...
I probably would.
More noise than signal

Quote:
...Keeping the presto engine...
Ill try again, to clarify.

The Opera browser you know, love, and want to "keep" is the closed-source, proprietary intellectual property of the company Opera Software ASA ("Opera"). At this time, it is old. Unmaintained. "Likely insecure." However, it is an Opera asset which they own and control.

If by "keeping" you mean "continue to run the unsupported and unmaintained binaries Opera hasn't yet removed from their public servers," no one will stop you. But you'll be on your own. Any operational or security problems that occur are yours to deal with, and yours alone. Once Opera removes the binaries from their servers, they will not longer be publicly available. The end-user license for the binary packages does not permit redistribution.

If by "keeping" you mean "maintaining and supporting" -- that's very different. And the remainder of this post is about that. This type of "keeping" will will require you or anyone else with the same desires to negotiate a commercial agreement with Opera. They own the code, even though it is old and no longer being supported.
Disclaimer: I do not represent Opera. I do not know anything about the company, its finances, its structure, or its investments. I have no idea if they would be open to any business proposals like the examples which follow.
Here are two possibilities you might explore. With Opera, as they own the assets of interest to you.
  1. Provide Opera Software ASA with funding and a revenue stream to resurrect their unsupported platform and support it for you profitably.
  2. Provide Opera Software ASA with either revenue per transaction or equity in a new venture with profitable projections that would license their proprietary source code in order to develop, maintain, and support a commercial product.
If you can develop a positive business case for either of these scenarios, or any other business model you come up with, you will have done what Opera has not been able to do themselves. Otherwise, they would be doing it now.

The right people to discuss newly discovered profitable business models aren't on this forum. Instead, they're people with business cards that have Opera's logo on them and job titles similar to "Vice President, Business Development."

Good luck!
Old 22nd July 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Apparently Adobe has used Opera in some of its products and I wonder if they have done any updates to Presto.
Opera was so dear to heart to the OpenBSD community that at one point an OpenBSD developer offered for the first time ever to sign NDA with Opera company in return for natively compiling binaries for OpenBSD. Unfortunately the offer was rejected. I never understood the rush to kill Presto so quickly after almost 20 years of investment. Opera has small market share on the desktop (in part due to the fact that it had ability to misrepresent itself as Firefox or Explorer in order to bypass websites bans). However on Android had solid 10-15% at the moment of the death and even 50% at one point in the past.
Old 23rd July 2015
Shell Scout

Not to take things too off‐topic, but…
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The OpenBSD Project is disinterested collectively (due to Project policy) in any NDA with any vendor for access to proprietary source code under any circumstances. That's the "Open" of OpenBSD.
While what you mentioned about NDAs is true, that’s not the “Open” of OpenBSD. The “Open” of OpenBSD originally referred to the source tree being publicly available to non‐developers through anonymous CVS.
More noise than signal

True. Thanks for the correction.
Old 23rd July 2015
Fdisk Soldier

> business model...

Just thinking aloud here... Perhaps I'm only stating the obvious, however, THE business model lies in collecting user data irregardless of any other feel-good public relations strategy these companies extol. No browser -none- (of the 'big 4' chrome/ie/firefox/opera) are your buddies & should be considered predacious as they've plainly said as much...

<http://www.opera.com/privacy#web>

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/>

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...vacy-statement>

<http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/>

Then of you have hijinks such as 'pocket'...

<http://dustri.org/b/firefox-youre-su...ay-around.html>

or (read article carefully) noscript:

<http://thehackerblog.com/the-noscrip...s-zendcdn-net/>

The future is here & users are for sale indiscriminately. A well populated /etc/hosts file will stop most of the non-sense...

<http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm>
Spam Deminer

Quote:
[1]

a...Keeping the presto engine and UI going in any way possible. Just not within
my area of expertise, as evidenced by the replies. Sorry!...

c,d... cannot comment on chrome (does not run here, mysterious library
dependency quirk )... but just then a news article linked at ycombinator.com,
someone off-topic reported problems with chromium/firefox and reverted to
lynx or links.. Does not load in opera (ssl settings) but in seamonkey (mozilla
engine) the GPU starts ramping up the noise level, making the page
problematic.

e... Still wonder if legacy opera (presto engine) can be tweaked to
within licensing run in a jailed chroot, virtualbox, bhyve, etc. to get around
its seeming no-longer-installable-soon status
May be wasting my time, maybe not.
I had it running in a not-complete-chroot to fix a font issue, but upgrading
FreeBSD versions may have broken that. The font issue is fixed, so unable
to spend the time to test.

[1] This is stuff I think about but have no time for, for the most part. I apologize
if I'm wasting anyone's time even posting about it... freely ignore all my posts...
I probably would.
Sorry to bump the thread, but chrome [chromium] started working again.
Firefox opera seamonkey still mostly upto seamless use...
BTW apologize for one of the first posts in this or another thread. Its meaning
was not stated clearly enough to post... in retrospect, at least to some casual
reader, if my re-reading is accurate.
Arp Constable

I've also started using www/chromium in -current and went back and added it to 6.0stable. There is a click to clean plugin, from the app store, that make cookies/localstorage manageable. Chromium handles content just as well as www/firefox-esr and is not as bloated. The new www/netsurf, version 3.6 that is now in current, also works well on sites that do not rely heavily on javascript..

I'm considering www/iridium, a chromium fork that is a version or 2 behind chromium.