DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Build Process Warnings

Greetings:
I'm rebuilding my system now; and have noticed a few warnings listed in the process.
1) Redefinition of variables previously defined
2) Ignoring "#pragma" warning
3) Fastcall ignored

Obviously, I'm not a systems programmer. Were there any "build logs" besides the dmesg we should be sending to the developers when we detect such numerous warnings?

Thanks
I'm on Lynx now, so I've no idea how this is going to look, so pardon the layout.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
I'm rebuilding my system now; and have noticed a few warnings listed in the process.
1) Redefinition of variables previously defined
2) Ignoring "#pragma" warning
3) Fastcall ignored
Given that we don't know where this is happening, there is little anyone can say.
Quote:
Were there any "build logs" besides the dmesg we should be sending to the developers when we detect such numerous warnings?
No. It is not clear from the information provided that this is a systemic error.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Given that we don't know where this is happening, there is little anyone can say.

No. It is not clear from the information provided that this is a systemic error.
Aye. Something wasn't right when I tried to reinstall.
I had the release disk - installed it, reconfigured the partions to allow more disk space to /usr(per my older thread - will post ref after I get a gui browser up) checked out the -current tree; but had some problems initially when I tried to rebuild the Kernel.
Started the rebuild again - Kernel was build w/o error; but had problems installing terminal and browser related packages. (D-Bus error)
D-Bus Error kept mentioning that /etc/dbus-1/machine.id was not found. /etc/dbus-1 has session.conf, session.d, system.conf, and system.d; but no other fi
Will rebuild - back to staring at text all day. Though Lynx is not bad to go though basic web-based email and online documents with, I'm definitely going to get a new box on my next Gig to make this a faster chore.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
I had the release disk - installed it, reconfigured the partions to allow more disk space to /usr(per my older thread - will post ref after I get a gui browser up) checked out the -current tree; but had some problems initially when I tried to rebuild the Kernel.

If this is literally what you are doing to install -current:
  1. Install 4.6-release.
  2. Download the source to -current.
  3. Build per the instructions found in Section 5.3
...then you are not building -current in the documented & supported manner.

There is only one way in which a user can move to -current;
  • Per Section 5.3.2, you should be installing or upgrading to closest available binary first. In this case, the "closest binary" means installing or upgrading to the latest snapshot before downloading source. In fact, a number of people who have need of running -current stop after installing a snapshot.
  • Additional information can be found in the Following -current document.
From what can be construed from your quote above, you are not following the authorized method for building.

To say that this is why you have been having problems for so many months is difficult to tell. I suspect you have had to live through a number of errors in order to learn, but with all the false starts you have gone through, you would have saved yourself significant time by seriously studying the documented process first. At the barest minimum, you need to understand what the process is, & understand it well. This is a requirement when working with -current. You must follow the documentation with no deviation (if you expect support...). Please re-read Section 5 for comprehension.

This is a large reason why Section 5.1 specifically states:
Quote:
Most users should be running either -stable or -release.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post

If this is literally what you are doing to install -current:
  1. Install 4.6-release.
  2. Download the source to -current.
  3. Build per the instructions found in Section 5.3
...then you are not building -current in the documented & supported manner.

There is only one way in which a user can move to -current;
  • Per Section 5.3.2, you should be installing or upgrading to closest available binary first. In this case, the "closest binary" means installing or upgrading to the latest snapshot before downloading source. In fact, a number of people who have need of running -current stop after installing a snapshot.
  • Additional information can be found in the Following -current document.
From what can be construed from your quote above, you are not following the authorized method for building.

To say that this is why you have been having problems for so many months is difficult to tell. I suspect you have had to live through a number of errors in order to learn, but with all the false starts you have gone through, you would have saved yourself significant time by seriously studying the documented process first. At the barest minimum, you need to understand what the process is, & understand it well. This is a requirement when working with -current. You must follow the documentation with no deviation (if you expect support...). Please re-read Section 5 for comprehension.

This is a large reason why Section 5.1 specifically states:
So, "Upgrading to Snapshot" involves either 1)Using Install files from the snapshots directory (obvious) or 2) Choosing the "Upgrade Option" from the install media (mine's 4.6) - I'm presuming that choosing the "Upgrade" option (unlike the Install option) will allow me to ftp the core files from the ~/snapshots directory instead of the ~/4.6 directory.
What I don't get is that several app_pkgs (gui browser types) were looking for "etc/dbus-1/machine-id" and giving me error messages for it when the "machine-id" file, according to Openports.se, had been "uninstalled" months(6+, IIRC? ago.
Thanks
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
So, "Upgrading to Snapshot" involves either 1)Using Install files from the snapshots directory (obvious) or 2) Choosing the "Upgrade Option" from the install media (mine's 4.6) - I'm presuming that choosing the "Upgrade" option (unlike the Install option) will allow me to ftp the core files from the ~/snapshots directory instead of the ~/4.6 directory.
No. From the 4.6-release installation materials, "Upgrade" requires your system to be at 4.5. "Upgrade" assumes an already installed system, and one which is only one release back

All "upgrade" does is copy the kernel(s) to the root filesystem, untar all filesets you select (etc*.tgz and xetc*.tgz are never available for selection), and refresh boot blocks. The user must then manually manage /etc and /var configuration files, per each release's published upgrade guide. In recent years, sysmerge(8) could be used to automate some of those configuration changes. For older releases, we had the mergemaster package, with similar semiautomatic facilities.

Quote:
What I don't get is that several app_pkgs (gui browser types) were looking for "etc/dbus-1/machine-id" and giving me error messages for it when the "machine-id" file, according to Openports.se, had been "uninstalled" months(6+, IIRC? ago.
http://openports.se is an unofficial, automated service that provides a view into the OpenBSD ports repository. If you do not understand how the ports tree works, or how the tree is one particular state of the ports repository, or the differences between -release, -stable, and -current, all it will do is confuse you, further than you already are confused.

Step 1: Read FAQ 5. All of it. Go back and re-read FAQ 5.1, on how OpenBSD is managed. Then, read FAQ 5 again, in its entirety. It is required if you want to do any maintenance of the OS.

Step 2: Read FAQ 15. All of it. Go back and re-read FAQ 15.4.1, on keeping things in sync. FAQ 15 is on the ports and package system, and this knowledge is necessary if you want to stop digging yourself further into a hole.

---

If you are doing an "upgrade" from one release to another, older libraries (files in /usr/lib) will be retained. Old applications (installed with a previous release) should still work. After an upgrade of the OS, one then updates packages with a new $PKG_PATH and pkg_add -u.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st January 2010 at 04:10 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
More noise than signal

Additionally, one can "upgrade" from the latest -release or -stable to -current. Since -current is a constantly moving target, there is no Upgrade Guide. The steps are:
  1. Review the Following -current FAQ, noting every change you will have to make.
  2. Back up your system.
  3. Download the most recent snapshot's installation media you will use: a compact disc ISO, a diskette image, or the ramdisk kernel. The kernel can be booted from an existing bootblock program, or from a network boot server.
  4. Conduct the upgrade
  5. Boot into single user mode
  6. Mount all file systems
  7. Using the Following -current FAQ, manually or semi-automatically make every change described, when applicable to your architecture.
  8. Exit single user mode, and test that all services start and all subsystems and applications are functioning as intended.
  9. Return to single user mode.
  10. Update installed packages. For some architectures, so called "snapshot packages" may be available. They will -not- be in sync with your snapshot, and may or may not update. You will need to manually build packages from ports for those that fail to update.
  11. Return to multi user mode. Test all updated applications.
You can -then- move beyond the latest snapshot, by rebuilding from -current source, per FAQ 5 and of course, the Following -current FAQ, as the snapshot you use may be older than the most recent architectural change.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Given that you are dealing with an initially questionable installation (what misc@ would label a "Frankensystem"...), you need to reinstall (rather than upgrade...) in order to start from a known state. If you study the table in Section 5.3.2 long enough, you should recognize that your current state does not match any left-hand column value. Now is not the time to assume that shortcuts are possible, recommended, or secretly alright between friends.

As I have stated twice before, it is questionable why you feel you must run -current. I have the suspicion that you think it is more "secure" (& defining "security" is a topic unto itself...). Yes, there have been small improvements which are available now, but within six months, these will be found in -release & -stable too. What you should be recognizing now is that users of -current are expected to have the experience & skill set needed to build the system from the information found on the project's Website & release(8). Users of -current should also be reading the project's misc@ mailing list regularly to stay abreast of issues & act as needed.

Again, from Section 5.1:
Quote:
Most users should be running either -stable or -release.
You really need to take the time & answer to yourself honestly whether you currently have the skills required to deal with freshly minted code.
Quote:
If my assessment is correct (& all anyone has to go from is what we can piece together from your various posts...), you are dealing with a system of unknown state. Any wackiness you are experiencing can easily be written off as manifestations of a flawed base configuration.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd January 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Greetings, everyone!!

@Jggimi - thank you for the clarification on Upgrading to the "closest available Binaries".
@ocicat - thank you for your input - hope I haven't left an impression that I've been ignoring your feedback just to piss you off... ...well, FWIW, I'm not.

One of the reasons I've looked into snapshots is due to the packages.

I've reinstalled - by obtaining media from the "/snapshots" directory. Much less time consuming and more directly to the point.

Noticed that I had some SHA256 notices (e.g., from the install46.iso, the base46.tgz's SHA256 "didn't match with what's listed in bsd.rd", IIRC). I'll retry and verify - is that common with OBSD, or its snapshot files; and should I provide some feedback to the mailing lists? Should I not be concerned, since (e.g, , snapshots are generated frequently, SHA256 wasn't used, etc)?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 22nd January 2010
More noise than signal

The checksum warning is produced if the checksums don't match, for any reason.

You could mount your ISO and inspect the SHA256 file, and compare it against the filesets, and report a mismatch to misc@.