DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
Shell Scout

Default Box Wont Boot After Editing /etc/hostname.athn0

I am having a bit of a problem installing a wireless card.
The machine has one wired ethernet and one wireless card (athn0)
The athn0 will act as an access point for wireless devices.

The first thing I do is install OpenBSD 5.2 and reboot.
I have no issues until I edit /etc/hostname.athn0

The wireless card I have is a d-link DWA-566 which uses the Atheros which should work according to http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Wireless

After reading this http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...athn&sektion=4 I see that in order to get this working as an AP I have to edit /etc/hostname.athn0 to this
Code:
inet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 NONE media autoselect mediaopt hostap nwid my_net chan 11
then I reboot and I get these errors

What am I doing wrong?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

First note that I do not use wireless

This is a typical case that normally should be reported to the OBSD developers on the OpenBSD misc mailing list.
However, if you would report this, the first thing they would ask is to install the latest snapshot to see whether this problem still exists.

So try the latest snapshot to see if the problem persists
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
More noise than signal

I can't see your errors -- perhaps its the Great Corporate Firewall I'm behind. You can boot in single user mode ("-s" at the ">" prompt) and then mount your filesystems, set your $TERM, and edit as needed.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
More noise than signal

Update: I went to cell phone to see your crash image. An assertion in AR9003 chipset processing occurred because of invalid values on general purpose input/output ports.

The most recent update to this driver is in -current (after 5.2), and the patch log states:
Quote:
Fix hardware kill switch detection for the ar9300 chip family. The driver was checking the wrong bits of eeprom to determine rfkill switch pin and polarity, and was reading the wrong register to determine rfkill gpio pin state. ok kettenis@
I recommend repairing your system from single user mode as I described above, then "upgrading" to a recent snapshot, and then trying to set your athn(4) NIC to AP mode again in -current.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
Shell Scout

I went out and downloaded the latest 5.2 iso and thats what I am using.
mirror.esc7.net/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/i386/cd52.iso

I am not sure what is mean by the latest snapshot but I seem to have the latest iso 5.2 installed.(above link)

I bought a different brand and will reinstall it tonight with a fresh install.

Thanks for the help!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
I went out and downloaded the latest 5.2 iso and thats what I am using.
mirror.esc7.net/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/i386/cd52.iso
You have downloaded the ISO for 5.2-release. If you want to download the latest snapshot of -current, you will need to go to /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386 at the same mirror site.

If you are unfamiliar with the difference between the -release & -current flavors, study Section 5.1 of the FAQ. In essence, -release is the CVS tagged version of OpenBSD officially released every six months. -current is the head of the CVS tree where all current development takes place. The ISO's of 5.2-release comes from work last dated August 2012 (as I recall....). The latest snapshot of -current was built earlier today, & contains the changes jggimi mentions.

In addition, downloading cd52.iso only downloads the bsd.rd installation kernel (on a bootable CD...). You will still have to manually download the corresponding filesets through ftp(1), etc. You will find that the install52.iso ISO image contains the bsd.rd kernel + all filesets; nothing else needs to be obtained.

Lastly, note that the size of cd52.iso is significantly smaller than install52.iso. The reason for the difference is the absence of the filesets. More related information on what can be found at the mirror sites can be found in Section 4.3 of the FAQ.

Last edited by ocicat; 10th January 2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: clarify when OpenBSD 5.2 was tagged
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Final comment of the differences between -release & -current flavors.

Determining which flavor of OpenBSD is installed can be found by looking at the output of:

$ sysctl kern.version

For users of -current, output will be similar to the following (I compile my own releases, hence the unfamiliar domain name...)::
Code:
$ sysctrl kern.version
kern.version=OpenBSD 5.2-current (GENERIC.MP) #107: Sat Nov 24 23:05:33 CST 2012
    webmaster@build.pricklyfish.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP

$
For those who build -stable, "-current" (in the highlighted output above...) will be replaced with "-stable". Those who are running -release will see nothing in the kern.version output which specifies the flavor installed.

Last edited by ocicat; 10th January 2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: clarity
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
More noise than signal

EverydayDiesel, obtaining alternate hardware would of course circumvent the problem. Solving the problem, however, means going beyond 5.2-release, which is static and will never change. Please take ocicat's recommendation and review FAQ 5.1 -- it will help you to get a clearer picture of the tests and then the solutions outlined below.

Recovery

• Boot in single user mode ("-s" as described above).
  • Mount filesystems (e.g.: # mount -a)
  • Set $TERM for editing (e.g.: # export TERM=vt220)
  • Edit /etc/hostname.athn0 as desired (e.g.: # vi /etc/hostname.athn0)

Solution Testing

• Confirm that Host AP mode causes the panic, so that the failure is repeatable. (e.g.: # ifconfig athn0 mediaopt hostap)
  • Download a -current bsd or bsd.mp kernel from the most recent snapshot at your nearby mirror. (e.g.: /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/bsd.mp) Store it in your root directory with a memorable filename, such as test.
  • Boot the test kernel in single-user mode (e.g.: "test -s" or "boot test -s" at the "boot>" prompt).
  • Confirm that Host AP mode does not panic (e.g: use the same ifconfig(8) command as shown above, if that is the command that caused a panic with 5.2-release.)
Solution Implementation choices
  • Move from 5.2-release to -current. Upgrade to the most recent snapshot by downloading the snapshot's RAMDISK kernel bsd.rd, copying it to your root directory, reboot and select it at the boot> prompt, then choosing Upgrade at the "Install, Upgrade, or Shell" prompt.
  • Retrofit the -current driver patch to -release, build a custom kernel, and use it in place of the 5.2-release GENERIC or GENERIC.MP kernel on your existing system. This patch is for -current only, it is not available in -stable or in the Errata list for 5.2-release. This option requires knowledge of and understanding of OpenBSD's source maintenance procedures described in detail in FAQ 5, as well as a basic understanding of IC driver implementation in BSD and the BSD kernel source code tree structure.
  • Wait for 5.3-release, on or about 1 May 2013.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th January 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: clarity, typo
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2013
More noise than signal

FYI - earlier today, a different athn(4) related panic (uvm_fault) was reported to the bugs@ mailing list. The user, on -current, was using Host AP mode with the AR9271 chipset The panic occurred after a device association. A developer has already supplied a patch to the user to test.

I too have an athn(4) NIC, but with yet another Atheros chipset, the AR9285. I didn't attempt to recreate your problem as yours is specific to the AR9300 series. I may attempt to recreate the one reported to bugs@, when I have time.

Last edited by jggimi; 10th January 2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: clarity