DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2009
vigol

Post ADSL2+ MODEM and Splitter Installing

hi
As I trying to establish an ADSL2+ service in my home, I encounter the following (pseudo)Problems;
frankly, all of these are arising from our district ISP! :

* I wanna to Install an ADSL2+ MODEM (ISP is providing) & Splitter(I've no one just now).
* I havn't any experience on installing an ADSL2+ MODEM & Splitter, but i'm going to try/learn it if FreeBSD.
* ISP offer some kind of product that no one give me the entire requrement
* Beside their offers, their technician just can woking on Windows systems.

* what I need :

- LAN(RJ-11/Ethernet) & PPPOE(I just have FreeBSD!)
- Wireless(for laptop) & Wired (to desktop) -
- ADSL2+ Cabability (ISP provide it)
- And of cource with low/average cost () for using at home atmost 3~4 PC/Laptop and no need for simultanously connection or High definition Router_ing,...

* I was investigating some models and at the end, I was found a few models from "Billion co" that fit to my requrements.

But ISP said:

1- You(I !) can't Install MODEM & Splitter, it's a compliceted process.
2- your desired MODEM's are not in our list (They use some others of >> Billion << & other brands too)
and/if Your MODEM maybe OR Could make problem for Our NET as a whole and you will responsible.

Questions:

1- Is there any Detailed guide for installing ADSL2+ MODEM & splitter?
2- Is it realy complicated?
3- Is it true that MODEM can make troble for other users on ISP?
4- They offer some products that with a exception of one of them all are ADSL not ADSL2+ (I'd reviewed their Details on Net).
I know that ADSL & ADSL2+ are different systems, but Is is posible to connect to a ADSL2+ system by a ADSL MODEM?

TNX
bye
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2009
Banned

I struggled reading this, I really wanted to help you.. but almost everything you wrote seemed like gibberish to me.

When you sign up with an ISP, they will give you a modem and a couple line filters.. take whichever modem they recommend, just make sure it includes an Ethernet port.

Setting things up isn't very difficult, but some details differ between countries.. in the western world you need filters on every line except the one that's connected to the modem, the reverse is common in the Europe IIRC.

I can't comment any further, nor do I know the differences between ADSL or ADSL2+.. but it seems unlikely that they would offer you an ADSL-only modem if their infrastructure supports ADSL2+.

Telling your ISP that you use a different operating system only serves to confuse sales representatives, they aren't guaranteed to know anything about FreeBSD.. only what the company policies are.

If you need further help, please try to explain yourself as clearly as possible.

Sorry.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2009
Administrator

You can read about splitters in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL_splitter and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL

The easiest way is to connect the splitter at the spot where the telephone line enters the house/apartment. Here in the Netherlands, most providers offer a Do It Yourself kit to install ADSL. e.g. http://www.xs4all.nl/helpdesk/adsl/s...atel1000sp.php (sorry text is in Dutch).

A splitter has three connections:
  1. the telephone line as is input (carries telephone+ADSL signal)
  2. output line to ADSL modem/router (telephone signal filtered out)
  3. output line to telephone (ADSL filtered out )

Can you post links to the models your ISP offers (English please, our Farsi is terrible )
If you can put a ADSL modem/router into bridging mode it usually is no problem to connect it to a Free/Net/OpenBSD firewall.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2009
vigol

Thanks BSDfan666 & I'm sorry about my awful language!
---------
J65nko:
Thanks for another reply!

Those links to wikipedia.org were useful.
I don't know Dutch! but it's so beautiful : André Rieu/Ode an Maastricht (I don't know its singer ) and those photos on "Alcatel 1000 LP" was useful too.

About the links:
There's no EN link inside the IPS site but I find some outside:

Company offer a Billion 7300 ADSL Modem Router, as a Wireless/Ethernet Solution

But I think they offer a Billion BiPAC 7300G ADSL Modem Router.
Because the first isn't wireless! and the second at least have a same figure as they shown in catalogue!!! and have a WLAN standard too!

Anyway there's two link to both:

Billion 7300 ADSL Modem Router :
http://www.myshopping.com.au/SP--150...L_Modem_Router

Billion BiPAC 7300G ADSL Modem Router :
http://www.myshopping.com.au/SP--145...2_Modem_Router
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2009
Banned

Some ISP's allow you to lease it from them, adding a monthly cost to your bill.. as for integrated wireless features, if your planning to build a BSD router.. you could obtain a separate PCI wireless card which supports HostAP mode.

As I said, the cheapest model is bridge mode allows you to bypass any built-in routing capabilities.. deferring them all to your own BSD router/gateway, which is a little more involved.. but recommended.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2009
vigol

TNX BSDfan666.
Can I arrange something like that you said above, just by Information from FreeBSD Hand book, or I must study some special Network Books like Andrew S. Tanenbaum Computer Networks?

I made a mistake! both MODEM have WLAN standard.
sorry.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2009
VPN Cryptographer

ADSL2 just uses more bandwidth for the DSL signals. While ADSL1 signals were all ultrasonic, and a telephone user could not hear them, some of the ADSL2 signals are definitely audible.
Installing a central filter is the best way to go, if you can. In my country, (Australia), they must be installed by a licensed cabler, although other countries might have sane laws that allow anyone with basic intelligence to do simple things like this. It is just a matter of following simple instructions.
If not, using separate plug-in filters at each telephone works too, and is unlikely to cause problems unless you have a really complex phone system.

Tags
adsl2+, billion, install, modem, splitter