DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Installing packages from USB drive (OpenBSD 4.5)

Hello All,

I am new to BSD and look foward to learning. I have read the man pages for pkg_add think i have a handle on how it works. my problem is i am unable to install a package from a usb drive. i have a dell laptop that uses the ipw-firmware and it is located on my flashdrive. i have created a /mnt/flashdrive dir and mounted /dev/sd0i to this directory. i then cd to that directory and can see the package. i then changed the PKG_PATH directory to /mnt/flashdrive by executing this command export PKG_PATH=/mnt/flashdrive/ i then execute this command pkg_add /mnt/flashdrive ipw-firmware-1.3p0.gz to no avail. I don't expect to be spoon fed the answer but i have searched using google and the forums. any help would be much appreciated. i have heard (read) a lot of openbsd development is done on laptops. it would be nice to have wireless working on this laptop. i would trully feel a bit "geeky" in a good way. thank you in advance.....
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
More noise than signal

You're misspelling the filename, if you're using ".gz".

IIRC, pkg_add will search the working directory before examining PKG_PATH, so all you should need to do is:

# mount /dev/sd0i /mnt/flashdrive
# cd /mnt/flashdrive
# pkg_add ipw-firmware

Give that a try, and see if cd'ing into the directory works for you.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default thank you

thank you so very much jggimi. i will try that once i get home. i really do
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
You're misspelling the filename, if you're using ".gz".

IIRC, pkg_add will search the working directory before examining PKG_PATH, so all you should need to do is:

# mount /dev/sd0i /mnt/flashdrive
# cd /mnt/flashdrive
# pkg_add ipw-firmware

Give that a try, and see if cd'ing into the directory works for you.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default .gz

.gz is a compressed file format, correct? is this why pkg_add will not recognize it a a valid package? or am i completely wrong? do i need to extract the firmware prior to trying to install it?

thanks again
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
More noise than signal

The filename you saved on your memory stick is named ipw-firmware-1.3p0.tgz, not ipw-firmware-1.3.p0.gz.

".tgz" is a shorted use of ".tar.gz".

The pkg_add program will append ".tgz" and look for any release/patch levels to the file name you specify, if the name you specify does not include them. Note my example, above, where I just used "ipw-firmware" without additional information.

When you issue "pkg_add ipw-firmware-1.3.p0.gz", pkg_add looks for a file named "ipw-firmware-1.3.p0.gz.*.tgz" -- which does not exist.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th July 2009 at 05:53 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default .gz

jggimi,

not trying to argue but the package does end in .gz and not .tgz here is a link to the package. I may not understand (probably don't since this is my first day using openbsd) but none the less here is the link. http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/pack...ware-1.3p0.tgz
as you can see it does say .tgz but when you download it, it is appended with a .gz. what am i missing??
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
More noise than signal

Look at the URL you just posted, above. Go on, page up and look. Please note, between the "3p0." and the "gz" is a t.

It's possible you like to argue, but I believe it more likely you made an error when you saved the file, and changed the file name. If so, feel free to ... rename the file correctly.

A discussion of how pkg_add selects file names is in the pkg_add(8) man page, but the definitive logic is in the perl script itself:
$ grep gz /usr/sbin/pkg_add
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Wink help me understand!!!

jggimi,

i really don't like to argue, and in fact consider myself quite the wimp. i did state in my previous comment that the link would indicate that in fact the file was .tgz file, but if you actually click on the link you would see quite the contrary. please click on the link, and tell me what the package name would be saved as, if nothing was changed.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2009
More noise than signal

I did. My browser is Firefox 3.5.1, and it saves the file correctly.

I then brought up IE7 -- I'm consulting, and my customer uses WXP clients -- and IE7 thinks it knows better, and changes the filename unless I right click to "Save as..." and correct it.

Let's blame Bill Gates. We might as well, he can take it.
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

I guess I have some more reading to do. I do apologize if I somehow seemed confrontational, not my intent. I may even be a bit dense. Which would explain why I need you to explain it to me like I was a 5 year old? I will give what you suggest a try and get back to you. Thank a lot for taking the time to assist me in this endeavor. Like I said before, I am willing to learn and fully expect a few bumps and bruises along the way.
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks jggimi for that thorough explanation as to what is exactly happening. You are correct in assuming that i had downloaded the file using ie7. i will fix the problem using the solution you suggested. I will mark this as solved.
Old 29th July 2009
More noise than signal

No worries. But a web browser thinking it knows better for filenames? That was a first, for me. Sorry about that.

I have the feeling that most people considering OpenBSD are either coming from non-Microsoft operating systems, or have already switched web browsers if not. (It's also possible that those who use IE7 notice the filename mangling and corrected it, or renamed the file(s) afterwards.)
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks again.
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

jggimi,

i am going to give one of your live cds/dvds a run. Wireless would be set up the same way i assume?
Old 29th July 2009
More noise than signal

Yes. It's the same OS. The main differences are a kernel configured to use cd0 as the root partition, and a modified rc(8) script to mount read/write information in memory (MFS) file systems. The ipw package installs in /etc/firmware, and /etc is one of the six MFS filesystems.
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default changed .gz to .tgz

jggimi,

i changed the extension to the above mentioned and as is well. i will have wireless up in running very shortly, hopefully. is there any pitfalls i shoud be aware of? or, are you going to let me make some mistakes then come crawling back with my tail between my legs asking for help after the fact.

divadgnol
Old 29th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
is there any pitfalls i shoud be aware of?
  • You will save yourself a great deal of time & aggravation by studying the ipw(4) manpage.
  • Given that you are new to OpenBSD, it is equally as important to study the official FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/index.html

In particular, Section 6 covers networking & wireless support.
  • Archives of the official misc@ mailing list will have discussions of all aspects of the operating system. It would be worth your time to familiarize yourself with what others have encountered as well:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=ipw&q=b
OpenBSD's FAQ document is single best source of information about the operating system. Newcomers are highly advised to take the time to study the entirety of this document.
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default ipw0

ok, i have thoroughly read ipw(4),ifconfig(8) and hostname.if(5). I then created an /etc/hostname.ipw0 file and populated it with the following -
dhcp NONE NONE NONE nwkey 0x********** chan 11. Upon reboot dhcp tries to secure and address but eventually times out. ifconfig does show my wireless nic, but i am not certain if i have to agree to the firmware in some fashion or another before it will bring it up???? even after reading the manpage for ifconfig (8) not certain on how to bring the nic up manually. my tail is between my legs guys. just point me in the right direction and i should be able to find my way.

thanks again
Old 29th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
ifconfig does show my wireless nic...
Post the output of the following commands:

$ dmesg
$ ifconfig
Old 29th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

ociat,

when i run dmesg | grep ipw, i can see my nic and then when i run ifconfig ipw0 i get status: no network

sorry, i am unable to post the output due to the fact i can't get online with the laptop. i have visited damin's website and followed his instructions to the letter. by the way, how do i scan for available ap's?

ifconfig does show me wired and wireless options. i'm certain i am close but may have to dig a little deeper.