DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2008
Complete BSD nubcake

Default permissions and FTP/HTTP

DISCLAIMER: I'm a bit new to FreeBSD and 'nix in general. I'm learning and I'm willing to learn/read whatever it takes to get where I can do what I need to do.

Alrighty, here's the deal.

I'm running a FreeBSD 7.0 box as my webserver. It's running Apache 2.2.x and Pure-FTPD (Not sure on the version, latest stable build from around May).

Problem is that the FTP accounts are run as ftpuser:ftpuser and the HTTP needs www:www as the owner. Files that get uploaded with FTP are owned by ftpuser:ftpuser and as you can probably tell, this causes a problem.

I tried making an FTP account that is www:www but alas, no luck. I can't get it to connect.

I'm looking to use this as a free webhosting platform for a closed group and if I have to constantly "massage" the permissions, even via cron, that isn't a good thing.

What's the best way to "fix" this issue? How can I set FTP to use www:www as the account? Or should I change apache to run as ftpuser:ftpuser?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!