DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Administrator

Default abbreviating email addresses?

Given that we were sharing BSDForums with a number of spammers, the practice of removing (or at least abbreviating...) email addresses posted publicly was a practical policy attempting to protect people from needless spam.
  • It may be worth adding to DaemonForums' policy that publicly posted email addresses is not recommended, & Moderators may remove them without warning.
  • Is there any vBulletin add-on which will automatically blank out email domain names similar to words deemed as offensive?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Spam Deminer

And I was a culprit just today... I wasn't thinking... Ocicat's absolutely right, this can definitely be a problem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat
Is there any vBulletin add-on which will automatically blank out email domain names similar to words deemed as offensive?
If so, I think the way the NetBSD mailing list archive system handles it is pretty slick.

Example: mail@to.cn becomes mail%to.cn@localhost.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Arp Constable

Other then when it must be validated, I always write E-Mail addresses as user [at] host [dot] something. Which serves quite well when posting e-mail addresses in public view on the web.

Humans know how to deal with it (usually) and it takes a spambot smart enough to harvest it through a regular expression. Otherwise the program will only see regular text that doe not appear to be a user@host.something or an anchor with a mailto: href.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

I, for one, am not a particular big fan of attempting to "hide" email addresses from spammers, people should just use a proper anti-spam solution (spamassasin, dspam, tmda, etc) instead of attempting to hide their email address from spammers, the effectiveness of this method is questionable, and it makes it difficult to contact people ... Basically is doesn't really solve anything, it's just a poor attempt at fixing a symptom.

This being said, I also realize that many people don't share this view and do want to hide their email address, so publishing other people's email addresses without their content is of course not acceptable.

One non-intrusive way to make an address unharvestable would using writing it in HTML character entities, research done in 2003 shows this works http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

In any case, I would not be in favor of using automatic intrusive address munging ...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Uber Geek

user [at] host [dot] something <<--- i like this approach
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Arp Constable

It's a habit that I picked up the from community on forums.pcbsd.org and the Admin Team on sasclan.org -> where we always think about public view

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

IMHO. This forum ought to me made viable only by registered to that point we should also require that you have to log on in order to register just for an extra level of protection againts bots, and while were at it we should also have a dedicated group if members that does nothing but prune answered and solved threads and as always I m more than willing to moderate the linux Forum as i know quite I bit about linux and can always look up stuff iI am not sure about on google Linux or BSd for that matter. Another handy spam prevention method is to require a reference.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2008
Arp Constable

Wouldn't that somewhat injure people STFW and finding things here?

Old 22nd May 2008
Uber Geek

We would never put ourselves in a situation that would make us invisible to google