DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Default The language here

One suggestion, and it is just my somewhat puritanical opinion.

It seems there is more obscenity on these forums than necessary.

I might be alone, or at least in a great minority, in noticing this, but it does give a rather bad impression.

These are public forums--people posting here, especially you young 'uns might keep in mind that prospective employers might google what you've done on the web.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Uber Geek

there there poor little scottro * pats your had *

i can hear the American's shouting "constitution" and "free speech" hehe
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Well, let me put it this way. On Fedora forums, which has over 100,000 members, they're rather strict on it. The forum actually has software that's beyond control. I tried to write, in romaji, the word ashita and it came out as
a***ta.

Yet, while people sometimes disagree with threads getting closed and the like, I've not seen one complaint on those forums about obscenity being censored.

It does seem that the people who use it most are coming from some Linux forums, where apparently it's OK. However, I haven't seen it on Fedora forums--I believe Ubuntu's rules also prohibit it, and that's probably the busiest forum of all. I don't recollect seeing much, if any, on the ArchLinux forums either.

Most forums actually seem to police themselves, so to speak--before the spam started, I don't recollect seeing much, if any, of the f word or s word on bsdforums either.

Anyway, it's simply a thought. I see that phoenix has already suggested to one user that they tone down their obscenity, so perhaps it isn't just me.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Uber Geek

We have moderated several posts and signatures
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
I might be alone, or at least in a great minority, in noticing this
You're not the only one...

Quote:
I don't recollect seeing much, if any, of the f word or s word on bsdforums either.
The fact they are replaced with "****" on bsdforums might have something to do with that

I didn't enable the censor because there forums are not a kindergarten, and I am not a nanny ... IMO such a censor would be like treating people like little children.
We've all seen "Demolition man", yes?

Now, I am not completely naive and realized that there would be some people who do need to be treated like little children, but it would seem that there are more of these people that I first thought, or they're more disruptive than I first thought...

In any case, I may have to enable the censor after all if people can't behave ... For now I'll explicitly put it in the README that this kind of language is not acceptable and keep a close eye on things...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
You're not the only one...

The fact they are replaced with "****" on bsdforums might have something to do with that

I didn't enable the censor because there forums are not a kindergarten, and I am not a nanny ... IMO such a censor would be like treating people like little children.
We've all seen "Demolition man", yes?

Now, I am not completely naive and realized that there would be some people who do need to be treated like little children, but it would seem that there are more of these people that I first thought, or they're more disruptive than I first thought...

In any case, I may have to enable the censor after all if people can't behave ... For now I'll explicitly put it in the README that this kind of language is not acceptable and keep a close eye on things...
You might want to point out in the README that not only is it not considered acceptable, posts with that kind of language, especially posts from people looking for help, are more likely to just get ignored :-)

Adam
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Banned

I liked the movie Demolition man, I did not however, like the "verbal violations" handed out when you swore..

Censorship is censorship, everyone here uses those descriptive words when angry/frustrated.. don't deny it.. it should be allowed everywhere in moderation, but a post full of.. "a word describing sexual intercourse" should not be allowed. (Think of the children!~!.. hehe.. ).
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I wish I could remember a wonderful paragraph from long ago. Something like gentlemen need to behave and treat each other as gentlemen, otherwise it degrades to the vagaries of something, something, spaceship.

And hollow content rings with the words of the uneducated (curse words).
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james
It's just the idiots that are shouting that, American or otherwise.

You guys have every right to enforce some standards around here. More power to you. This sort of site is just going to have too many users for you to reasonably expect courtesy from every single one of them.

The only [small] question is whether you want to use the automatic censor or to do it manually. Whatever works best.
Spam Deminer

I think for purposes of this conversation you could split the users into two general categories- the "regulars" and the "visitors"...

The regulars have a responsibility to a certain level of decency on this forum, or they risk the consternation of the rest of the regulars (and the moderators/admins.) The regulars should be concerned about giving quality comments and contributing to a quality community within these forums, and I think they are (otherwise this thread might not even exist.) I for one would hate to see in the misc- (at) - @openbsd.org list that this forum can be just as nasty as the mailing list, just because of a few bad apples.

And the visitors have a responsibility to themselves... most of them came here to find an answer to a pressing problem they are experiencing, hoping the good will of this community will shine upon them. But if they are going to use profane language or exhibit a poor attitude, the regulars should cease to help them that all.

I think that as this community grows and matures a bit, there will be a level of expectation that can be easily communicated- that this just isn't the place to be mean-spirited, profane, or indignant.

I for one have been impressed so far with the amount of maturity and talent that crossed over from bsdforums to DaemonForums, and have high hopes that this will not only be a saving grace for many an inexperienced BSD admin, but also a well-trodden and venerated watering hole for the more experienced in our community.

Last edited by ai-danno; 19th May 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 19th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james View Post
I replied in another thread here that the First Amendment rights (including free speech) are not absolute. I even quoted Supreme Court cases that showed as much. <- keep in mind that I am not a lawyer ->

My own personal take on profanity and obscenity in speech and writing is that if you cannot articulate and express yourself without resorting to the use of foul language, that is evidence of a lack of education and intelligence.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Old 19th May 2008
Arp Constable

I've never noticed any thing to squawk about (that has passed the moderators anyway ) but I only 'selectively' pick threads to read.

No idea where this board is hosted but although the USA has freedom of speech, THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY. The owner of the website says what goes and what stays on there property, which is thankfully what looks like a good community.

When I post, I might let some thing slip but I generally remember:

0/ Can say it in front of women
1/ Can say it in front of young children
2/ Can say it in a Disney Movie
4/ Deescalate the tone of profanity (e.g. s/s<self-edited>t/crap/) where appropriate.

I have several bones with "Gentleman" written on them and as part of my clan. I'm used to my actions and words reflecting upon my teams honourable reputation.

I've always expected others to respect the local rules, what ever they may be. And if they say dun't cuss a blue streak, stop making like a drunken sailer and a vodka'd up marine on shore leave !

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.