DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
Port Guard

Default NetBSD 7.1 binary packages issues

Hello. I've been trying to use NetBSD 7.1 binary packages and found that "7.1" packages directorys seem to be softlinked to earlier version on FTP/HTTP/etc mirrors. instead of being packages purpose-built for "7.1".

As a result, whetever I would try to install, I'd get bunch of errors in style:
Code:
---Mar 26 18:54:11: installing somepackage-0.1...
pkg_add: Warning: package `somepackage-0.1' was built for a platform:
pkg_add: NetBSD/x86_64 7.0.1_PATCH (pkg) vs. NetBSD/x86_64 7.1 (this host)
at best, I'd get warning and the package would install. At worst, package would fail because required dependency is not there.
Quote:
---Mar 26 18:54:21: installing libgtop-2.28.4nb10...
pkg_add: Warning: package `libgtop-2.28.4nb10' was built for a platform:
pkg_add: no pkg found for 'osabi-NetBSD-7.0.1_PATCH', sorry.
pkg_add: Can't install dependency osabi-NetBSD-7.0.1_PATCH
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
Which in turn, would release chain of failures..

Code:
pkg_add: Can't install dependency libgtop>=2.28.4nb3
Issue feels worst using 7.1 package directory, I cleaned up the packages completely and replaced the repository to "7.0_current" - which is giving me less failures, but still..

I've also substituted building/compiling the failing components from /usr/pkgsrc but some packages take "forever" to build on weaker hardware (QT4 for example). So the way binary packages are handled in NetBSD at the moment, feels rather half-assed, pardon the expression.

I am open to suggestions.

Btw, pkg_adm in NetBSD installer, for some reason fails to download and install pkgin though one can install pkgsrc packages through installer.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2017
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aht0 View Post
Hello. I've been trying to use NetBSD 7.1 binary packages and found that "7.1" packages directorys seem to be softlinked to earlier version on FTP/HTTP/etc mirrors. instead of being packages purpose-built for "7.1".
I've recently installed 7.0.2 and soon after moved to 7.1. I've found that the packages built for 7.0 are working fine on 7.1 so far.

Quote:
As a result, whetever I would try to install, I'd get bunch of errors in style:
Code:
---Mar 26 18:54:11: installing somepackage-0.1...
pkg_add: Warning: package `somepackage-0.1' was built for a platform:
at best, I'd get warning and the package would install.
These messages are often not much to worry about. However in some cases, they can indicate a problem later on, after installation. For example, about the same time as installing 7.0.2 on my desktop, I put -current on my laptop, and figured I'd use the 7.0 packages (there were no binary packages for -current). It turned out some of the packages would run and others wouldn't. There had been a library bump-up in -current that affected some packages which expected older versions of the library. In this situation, I suspect -current users would be expected to build their own packages, or to wait.

Quote:
At worst, package would fail because required dependency is not there.

Which in turn, would release chain of failures..

Code:
pkg_add: Can't install dependency libgtop>=2.28.4nb3
Issue feels worst using 7.1 package directory, I cleaned up the packages completely and replaced the repository to "7.0_current" - which is giving me less failures, but still..
Unfortunately there seems to be no guarantee that the pkgsrc binary collection is complete at all times. Something you want or need may be missing, which can be frustrating, although considering the huge amount of work involved I think they do a pretty good job. Sometimes the solution is just to wait, e.g., at one point recently gnuplot was missing, and a week later it was there.

Quote:
Btw, pkg_adm in NetBSD installer, for some reason fails to download and install pkgin though one can install pkgsrc packages through installer.
Did you mean pkg_admin? Its man page doesn't seem to mention pkgin. The latter is itself a package that some find useful, but it's not clear that it should be automatically installed if installing packages through the installer (something I've never done). pkgin itself has several dependencies, so you'd have to install it using the system's pkg_add command.

Last edited by IdOp; 28th March 2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: minor fixes
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2017
Arp Constable

I think the community is preparing for the release of 2017Q1
pkgsrc is now in freeze for 2017Q1. Hopefully 7.1 binary packages will be available soon.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2017
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Did you mean pkg_admin? Its man page doesn't seem to mention pkgin. The latter is itself a package that some find useful, but it's not clear that it should be automatically installed if installing packages through the installer (something I've never done). pkgin itself has several dependencies, so you'd have to install it using the system's pkg_add command.
Thanks for your replies. I mistyped. I meant pkg_add. In NetBSD installer when you select "Install binary packages (can't remember exact text)" it's what happens, after you specify the server/mirror etc, pkg_add would attempt to download pkgin package from your specified server and install it.

It simply freezes, until I abort it by Ctrl+C and Enter. When specifiyng false server or correct server but wrong path, installer would display the error about it just fine. With correct data, it just freezes. Perhaps it's non-functional IPV6 on my side, I am not sure. I've noticed that I had to delete ipv6 address in my ifconfig to get source ports to download without ipv6-caused time outs.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2017
Arp Constable

Adding packages with the installer has never worked for me. I install the base system and reboot followed by verifying the hostname and the network connection, Then, export the PKG_PATH followed by installing pkgin. Adjust /usr/pkg/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf to your preferred mirror and you should be good to go.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2017
Arp Constable

Some of the build reports for 2017Q1 are hitting the mailing lists.
Quote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2017
18:38 pkgsrc-2017Q1 NetBSD 6.0/x86_64 2017-03-30 05:31 (0) Manuel Bouyer
14:12 pkgsrc-2017Q1 NetBSD 6.0/i386 2017-03-30 05:34 (0) Manuel Bouyer
From the looks of it 6.0 seems to be the initial build platform.