DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2016
Port Guard

Default Installation / Network

Hello,
I'm using NetBSD for the first time and got Trouble while configuring the Network during Installation process.

Here is what I've tried so far:
Your DNS Domain: [empty] or 192.168.2.1 [Router IP], cuz idk what it means to my Network. Only know the Windows auto-config ;-)
Your hostname: NetBSD-PC
Your IPv4 number: 192.168.2.101
IPv4 Netmask: 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Gateway: 192.168.2.1
IPv4 name server: 192.168.2.1 or [empty]

Where's the mistake?
Would be cool if I can get some advices.
Ty
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2016
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
Hello
Hello, and welcome to daemonforums!

Quote:
Your DNS Domain: [empty] or 192.168.2.1
This looks like the problem. What you want to put there (to try to say it simply) is the name of the LAN on which the PC you're installing NetBSD on resides. This name would not be an IP address, as you have entered above, it would be a string. For example, if the fully qualified domain name of the PC on your LAN were NetBSD-PC.mylan then your response to the above prompt would be mylan. The system would expect that it would be able to resolve (i.e., look up) the full name NetBSD-PC.mylan into an IP address using the nameserver you configure; in your example you configured this to be your router.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2016
old timer

What problem are you having?

You describe your network settings, but not the issue.

I can see two issues with your settings, one is the domain name, which can be empty, or set to something like the previous respondents "mylan", or "local", or most anything..

The other possibly problematic entry is for the DNS name server. I doubt your gateway router is capable of doing DNS resolution. You need the IP address of a name server, preferably a name server from your ISP. If not that, then Google's public name server at 8.8.8.8 or another public name server.

Also, if your network is running DHCP from the gateway router (and most likely are these days), you can configure NetBSD to use DHCP to get it's address and name server information. As I recall, it's one of the early questions in the network configuration dialog (well before the ones you've answered.)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2016
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoebe View Post
I doubt your gateway router is capable of doing DNS resolution.
Good catch! I think what I had in mind was the DHCP server in the router, so why not DNS too, but you're right the latter seems quite unlikely. What made me vague on it was that I don't even use the router DHCP server since I don't trust it (and don't like to configure it via a graphical web browser).