DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Shell Scout

Default Want to get rid of ugly color of rox

I'm using fluxbox and my firefox and Rox windows uses some strange light shade of pink or orange. I want to get rid of it. Sorry was not able to post screenshot as so far I was not able to figure out how to take screenshot (if somebody knows please do let me know. I got no desktop env installed and also don’t want to install any app which are part of or depend on gnome or KDE) also most of you who are using fluxbox, rox might have seen this.

thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Port Guard

Possibly there's a gtkrc file causing the colour scheme. Both Firefox and Rox are gtk+ apps. For firefox itself you could just install a theme of your choice if desired.

Or, you could get a gtk+ theme which will install a gtkrc file.

Or, you can place a .gtkrc-2.0 file (with the dot) in your home directory to override settings. Google for a sample .gtkrc-2.0 file (or take a gtkrc file from a gtk theme and rename it) and customize it.

P.S. I use a dark theme for xfce4 and it uses a gtkrc file. What I do is take and copy that file as ~/.gtkrc-2.0 so that my gtk+ apps all use that theme even when I'm not running xfce4.

These are the kinds of settings you'll find in a gtkrc file:
http://www.mikeserv.org/temp/gtkrc.txt

Last edited by Grogan; 11th May 2008 at 11:40 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
Possibly there's a gtkrc file causing the color scheme. Both Firefox and Rox are gtk+ apps. For firefox itself you could just install a theme of your choice if desired.
It makes sense. But only thing annoying me is the color. Don't want to change other settings. If anyone can tell me which file to edit, would be very helpful.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Port Guard

If they are defaults, there is no file to edit yet, you'd have to create one. Otherwise search for a gtkrc file somewhere on your system (if you have /usr/local/share/themes and it's populated with themes you'll have lots of them in there but they won't likely be the one that's in use)

See if there's already a .gtkrc-2.0 file in your home dir. I've not had ROX file manager, possible it's customized your environment?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Shell Scout

How can I apply one of the thems in /usr/local/share/themes/. I would like to apply clear looks.

Just copy gtk-2.0 to home directory.

thanks
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Port Guard

Yes, copy it to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with the dot and it should override your current gtk+ colours that you don't like.

This probably doesn't apply to you, but for the benefit of anyone else if you are using KDE you have to be sure to turn off "apply colours to non KDE apps" in Control Center, under appearances and themes/colors. Otherwise you'll get a partial mix of colours on gtk+ apps depending on which settings its enforcing.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
Yes, copy it to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with the dot and it should override your current gtk+ colours that you don't like.
Yup it worked thanks a lot.

Tags
fluxbox, screenshot