DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
Port Guard

Unhappy Installation of Perl

Hi all,

I'm trying to get Perl 5.8.4 installed on OpenBSD 5.6. I have setup M:Tier and the appropriate repositories, but I get some very strange results when attempting to install.

First off, OpenBSD seemingly has no search functions of any kind. Meaning, I can find no functions to search the packages like I can in Yum, Apt, Yast, etc. It's all guessing and Google searches to find the names.

<pre>sudo pkg_info perl</pre>

I was able to find some information on installing Perl with the following (updated in January from securityrouter.org)

HTML Code:
cd /root
mount -uw /
ftp http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/`uname -m`/SHA256.sig
ftp http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/`uname -m`/base56.tgz
signify -C -p /etc/signify/openbsd-56-base.pub -x SHA256.sig base56.tgz && tar -xzpf base56.tgz -C / ./usr/libdata/perl5
rm SHA256.sig base56.tgz
mount -ur /
Afterwards though, all attempts to perform a pkg_info perl fail with either connection errors, or 404 errors to both OpenBSD and M:Tier. Neither have perl.tgz, or base56.tgz in the repositories.

That being said, Perl is installed:

Code:
This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2 (*)) built for i386-openbsd
(with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail)
I'm looking for much better information, and more accurate, to install Perl on OpenBSD. I'm in need of the 5.8.4 version of Perl at a minimum. Perhaps some advice on how to get Perl installed from source is needed?

Mostly I'm just frustrated that OpenBSD apparently finds it completely unnecessary to include a pkg_search binary in their OS . Why are we forced to download the entire ports locally just to search by hand? (That's what OpenBSD recommends instead of a standard search function)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.n1n2 View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to get Perl 5.8.4 installed on OpenBSD 5.6. I have setup M:Tier and the appropriate repositories, but I get some very strange results when attempting to install.

First off, OpenBSD seemingly has no search functions of any kind. Meaning, I can find no functions to search the packages like I can in Yum, Apt, Yast, etc. It's all guessing and Google searches to find the names.

<pre>sudo pkg_info perl</pre>
We have a very good search function for ports/packages. It's called pkg_info(1).

Perl is part of the OpenBSD base system, whereas you are trying to search for third-party ports/packages. Perl is always installed as part of OpenBSD and we have developers who ensure that we always have the latest and greatest Perl in base.

Quote:
I was able to find some information on installing Perl with the following (updated in January from securityrouter.org)
Such information is useless because you literally cannot install OpenBSD without Perl. Perl has been on your machine since you installed OpenBSD.

Quote:
HTML Code:
cd /root
mount -uw /
ftp http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/`uname -m`/SHA256.sig
ftp http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/`uname -m`/base56.tgz
signify -C -p /etc/signify/openbsd-56-base.pub -x SHA256.sig base56.tgz && tar -xzpf base56.tgz -C / ./usr/libdata/perl5
rm SHA256.sig base56.tgz
mount -ur /
These are manual instructions for installing the OpenBSD base system...
You should not follow the above instructions unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Quote:
Afterwards though, all attempts to perform a pkg_info perl fail with either connection errors, or 404 errors to both OpenBSD and M:Tier. Neither have perl.tgz, or base56.tgz in the repositories.
Because you are using a tool that searches for ports/packages that are not part of the base system.

Quote:
That being said, Perl is installed:
Because it always is...

Code:
This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2 (*)) built for i386-openbsd
(with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail)
Quote:
I'm looking for much better information, and more accurate, to install Perl on OpenBSD. I'm in need of the 5.8.4 version of Perl at a minimum. Perhaps some advice on how to get Perl installed from source is needed?
You install OpenBSD. You get Perl. End of story.
The version we have in base is 5.18.2--that is much much newer than 5.8.4--I don't understand your issue here?

Quote:
Mostly I'm just frustrated that OpenBSD apparently finds it completely unnecessary to include a pkg_search binary in their OS . Why are we forced to download the entire ports locally just to search by hand? (That's what OpenBSD recommends instead of a standard search function)
pkg_info(1). Part of the base install: /usr/sbin/pkg_info. Does not require having the ports tree. Does require you to set PKG_PATH. But if you install OpenBSD via http then you already have that.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
Marveled user

Quote:
Don't need.

The packages list is available here http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/packages/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFrettchen View Post
Don't need.

The packages list is available here http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.6/packages/
But pkg_info will give you FULLPKGNAME, COMMENT, pkg/DESCR, MAINTAINER, and HOMEPAGE. It's really much nicer than just searching the package list on the web.

Example (games/beret, my first port):
Code:
/home/brian $ pkg_info beret
Information for http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/beret-1.2.1pl1p0.tgz

Comment:
2D puzzle-platformer game

Description:
Beret is a 2D puzzle-platformer game about a scientist, astonishingly
named Beret, who has gained telekinetic abilities through his research
at the Evil Corporation. He decides that the Evil Corporation is a tad
too evil for his liking, and begins his solitary quest to overthrow the
corporation and punish the evil deeds of his employers.

Maintainer: Brian Callahan <bcallah@openbsd.org>

WWW: http://kiwisauce.com/beret/
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
Administrator

Perl is part of the base OS. The OpenBSD package tools are written in Perl:

Code:
$ file $(which pkg_add)
/usr/sbin/pkg_add: a /usr/bin/perl script text executable
$ file $(which pkg_info)   
/usr/sbin/pkg_info: a /usr/bin/perl script text executable
$ file $(which pkg_delete)    
/usr/sbin/pkg_delete: a /usr/bin/perl script text executable
So it would be wise not to mess around with the system/base Perl version. BTW this is rather difficult because there are no packages for neither the base system Perl nor newer versions

The makers of the Perl framework Mojolicious recommend to use Perlbrew :

Quote:
perlbrew is a tool to manage multiple perl installations in your $HOME directory. They are completely isolated perl universes. This approach has many benefits:
  • No need to run sudo to install CPAN modules, any more.
  • Try the monthly released new perls.
  • Learn new language features.
  • Test your production code against different perl versions.
  • Leave vendor perl (the one that comes with OS) alone
    • Vendor perl usually serves its own purposes, and it might be a bad idea to mess it up too much.
    • Especially PITA when trying to upgrade system perl.
    • Some vendors introduced their own perl bugs, twice!
  • Hacking perl internals.
  • Just to keep up with fashion.
Caveat: I never used Perlbrew myself (yet )

Last edited by J65nko; 28th March 2015 at 01:52 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
But pkg_info will give you FULLPKGNAME, COMMENT, pkg/DESCR, MAINTAINER, and HOMEPAGE. It's really much nicer than just searching the package list on the web.(...)
Indeed, but still better than google results on another website...

Or the Openbsd manual pages, a goldmine.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
More noise than signal

Hello again.

1. Searching for third party ports and packages

The ports/package system has several 3rd party search tools. One of the handiest is the pkglocatedb package. Install that with pkg_add, and you'll have a tool that can be used to search through every package available, using locate(1).

Click on this link databases/pkglocatedb for more details... which is another handy location for searching for ports/packages. Its one of two different external, unofficial websites that track the OpenBSD ports repository. It keeps up with -current but you can still find details about packages available at -release or -stable.

The "classic" search tool is the ports tree itself. Install it on your system, and you can use $ make search key=<keyword> to find things in /usr/ports/INDEX. More details about this can be found in FAQ 15.

2. Filesets vs. 3rd party packages.

Perl is included in OpenBSD as a built-in application. It was installed when you first installed OpenBSD 5.6 release, as it is a critical part of OpenBSD's infrastructure. Many of the tools used in OpenBSD are written in Perl, so it is not a 3rd party port/package you install afterwards. Not only is it Perl 5.18.2, it is that version of Perl plus necessary patches to Perl needed for operation on OpenBSD.

When you install OpenBSD, you select kernels and filesets to install. Filesets are tarballs that are unpacked into the root directory at installation time, or, after installation if you discover you need one you chose not to install. You selected (or let the installation script select) base56.tgz, etc56.tgz, and perhaps additional filesets such as comp56.tgz and xbase56.tgz. The procedure to manually installing "missing' filesets is detailed in FAQ 4.11, "Adding filesets after install."

Third party packages are NOT part of the OS. They are applications managed by other projects that have been ported to run on OpenBSD. FAQ 15 describes OpenBSD's ports and packages system.

New users are sometimes confused between filesets and packages. They both end in .tgz, but the similarity ends there. They are tarballs "plus" a siginifant amount of additional information: dependency requirements, build-time library details, and if built by the Project they include cryptographic signatures.

By the way, the package tools that help you administer your packages (pkg_add, pkg_info, and pkg_delete) are written in Perl.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to get Perl 5.8.4 installed on OpenBSD 5.6.
Out of curiosity why do you need obsolete Perl? This what came with the base of my 5.7 installation.

Code:
predrag@oko$ uname -a
OpenBSD oko.bagdala2.net 5.7 GENERIC.MP#881 amd64
predrag@oko$ perl -v

This is perl 5, version 20, subversion 1 (v5.20.1) built for amd64-openbsd

Copyright 1987-2014, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
If using an OS makes you frustrated you should go for a long walk or see you friends. OpenBSD has even synaptic like pkg manager sysutils/pkg_mgr if that is what you are used to.

http://openports.se/sysutils/pkg_mgr

Last edited by Oko; 28th March 2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 28th March 2015
Fdisk Soldier

and pbrowser , a frontend to the ports.
of the four BSDs , OpenBSD seems to be the most ready-to-go out of the box (except for a browser... used to be lynx)
I find it cool to have a burning tool (cdio) and audited window managers in base.
Old 4th April 2015
Port Guard

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the information. What's Perl again?

While the man pages are fine and all, it doesn't help when the commands don't work. pkg_info just doesn't seem to have the *behavior* you guys describe. I've run pkg_info apache. This does nothing. I've run pkg_info screen. That does get a hit. 'search' isn't a command or anything, so I omitted it.

Code:
Error from https://stable.mtier.org/updates/5.6/i386/apache.tgz
ftp: Error retrieving file: 404 Not Found
Error from http://ftp5.usa.openbsd.org/pub/Open...386/apache.tgz
ftp: Error retrieving file: 404 Not Foun
From the *behavior*, I had assumed that it's not actually a search program, but merely informational about installed packages.

Ahaha, yes. I guess I've been used to places without good documentation. I will give it to BSD, that the documentation is actually worth looking at. RTFM, good stuff. @Oko - that really wasn't helping dude. There's a reason why OpenBSD people have a reputation some times. Thanks for the link though. What I would find useful is working examples of command line searches with pkg_info.

Yes, I have a learning curve with OpenBSD. Been about a month, so I apologize for the newbie questions. I also have never written, or knowingly used Perl. As an aside, I somehow just misread the Perl versions. I get it too, Perl is baked right into the center of OpenBSD. That's really nifty since the platform I'm tasked with installing almost uses it entirely in the backend.

So the Perl aside, I still can't get any search functions against the packages. From reading the man page, it seems you need to add a -e or -E option to perform a search.

I am used to Linux, the commands, and the syntax. I could give examples, but there are plenty of minor differences (like tar no longer taking a '-' before the options). I'm working to pick it up, but OpenBSD is a *very* different system from say CentOS. A working example of a search would be awesome and extremely appreciated (as opposed to man pkg_info). I consistently get 'invalid spec' for most of the commands.

Also, 5.18.2 perhaps isn't the latest Perl you can get on OpenBSD 5.6 if anyone has a need for a more recent version of Perl like I thought I did.

Code:
This is perl 5, version 20, subversion 2 (v5.20.2) built for i386-openbsd

Copyright 1987-2015, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
I found this project very useful: https://github.com/afresh1/OpenBSD-perl.
Old 4th April 2015
More noise than signal

Ho-kay, lets start with two tools I recommended.

1. The Ports Tree

This is something that doesn't come with the default installation, you have to obtain it separately. But, it's a key component of OpenBSD. All of the third party packages you can install are built from it. FAQ 15 covers packages and ports, and FAQ 15.3.2 covers obtaining the ports tree tarball for 5.6 from various sources: CD, and the various Project download mirrors. Unpack that tarball in /usr/ports as described, and then, from that directory, you can use $ make search that I described above. Example, on a -current system, of searching for "apache":
Code:
$ cd /usr/ports
$ make search key=apache
Port:    apache-couchdb-1.6.1
Path:    databases/apache-couchdb
Info:    distributed, document-oriented database
Maint:    The OpenBSD ports mailing-list <ports@openbsd.org>
Index:    databases
L-deps: STEM->=0.10.38:devel/gettext converters/libiconv devel/libidn lang/spidermonkey net/curl textproc/icu4c
B-deps: STEM->=0.10.38:devel/gettext devel/gmake lang/erlang
R-deps: STEM->=0.10.38:devel/gettext lang/erlang
Archs:    any

Port:    postgresql-jdbc-9.1.901p3
Path:    databases/postgresql-jdbc,-main
Info:    JDBC Driver for PostgreSQL
Maint:    Matthias Kilian <kili@openbsd.org>
Index:    databases java
L-deps:
B-deps: devel/apache-ant jdk->=1.7.0,<1.8v0:devel/jdk/1.7
R-deps: jdk->=1.7.0
Archs:    jre->=1.7.0:devel/jdk/1.7

[2600+ lines snipped]
2. The pkglocate database.

If you install pkglocateb, which I'd recommended above, you can also use that to search for the same keyword:
Code:
$ pkglocate apache
aircontrol-1.4.2beta:net/aircontrol:/var/aircontrol/docs/licenses/license-apache-2.0.txt
ansible-1.8.4:sysutils/ansible:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/modules/core/web_infrastructure/apache2_module.py
ansible-1.8.4:sysutils/ansible:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/modules/core/web_infrastructure/apache2_module.pyc
ap2-mod_dnssd-0.6:www/ap2-mod_dnssd:/usr/local/lib/apache2/
ap2-mod_dnssd-0.6:www/ap2-mod_dnssd:/usr/local/lib/apache2/mod_dnssd.so
ap2-mod_fastcgi-2.4.2p0:www/ap2-mod_fastcgi:/usr/local/lib/apache2/mod_fastcgi.so
ap2-mod_fastcgi-2.4.2p0:www/ap2-mod_fastcgi:/usr/local/share/doc/apache2/mod/mod_fastcgi/
ap2-mod_fastcgi-2.4.2p0:www/ap2-mod_fastcgi:/usr/local/share/doc/apache2/mod/mod_fastcgi/LICENSE.TERMS
ap2-mod_fastcgi-2.4.2p0:www/ap2-mod_fastcgi:/usr/local/share/doc/apache2/mod/mod_fastcgi/mod_fastcgi.html
ap2-mod_fcgid-2.2p2:www/ap2-mod_fcgid:/usr/local/lib/apache2/
ap2-mod_fcgid-2.2p2:www/ap2-mod_fcgid:/usr/local/lib/apache2/mod_fcgid.so
[12000+ lines skipped]
Obviously, a little judicious use of grep(1) will aid you in narrowing your search. You'll discover two apache webservers in these listings: apache-httpd, which is Apache 2, and apache-httpd-openbsd, the long-time OpenBSD fork of Apache 1.3 with many security enhancements.

Last edited by jggimi; 4th April 2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: clarity, typos
Old 4th April 2015
Spam Deminer

pkg_info only works if you already know the name of the package.

Try 'apache-httpd' for example.

As far as I know, it doesn't search, like 'yum search'.

You were given a couple options for how to search. Personally, I usually use 'find' in my ports directory, or just look on one of the web mirrors which is how I found apache-httpd.

There is some translation between linux and OBSD, especially with all the CentOS bloat, but I find them minor and things are usually much simpler on the OBSD side.

Tim.
Old 4th April 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD View Post
pkg_info only works if you already know the name of the package.
Issuing:

$ pkg_info | more

...will display the names of all packages currently installed.

To the OP, studying the pkg_info(1) will reveal a wealth of information.
Old 4th April 2015
Spam Deminer

Yes, to be clear, I was only referring to the use case that is similar to a 'yum search' which the OP is in need of.

Tim.
Old 4th April 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
While the man pages are fine and all, it doesn't help when the commands don't work. pkg_info just doesn't seem to have the *behavior* you guys describe. I've run pkg_info apache. This does nothing. I've run pkg_info screen. That does get a hit. 'search' isn't a command or anything, so I omitted it.
Read the man page: pkg_info(1) -Q is what you want.
Code:
/home/brian $ pkg_info -Q apache
apache-activemq-5.11.1
apache-ant-1.9.4
apache-couchdb-1.6.1
apache-httpd-2.2.29p3
apache-httpd-openbsd-1.3.20140502p3
apachetop-0.12.6p0
modsecurity-apache-1.9.3p6
p5-Apache-ASP-2.61p0
p5-Apache-DB-0.14p4
p5-Apache-DBI-0.94p2
p5-Apache-Gallery-1.0.2p1v0
p5-Apache-LogFormat-Compiler-0.32
p5-Apache-MP3-3.05p3
p5-Apache-Reload-0.12p0
p5-Apache-Session-1.83p2
p5-Apache-Session-Generate-UUID-0.2p0
p5-Apache-Session-Memcached-0.03p1
p5-Apache-Test-1.30p2
p5-Catalyst-Engine-Apache-1.16
p5-Config-ApacheFormat-1.2p0
You can then use pkg_info (without the flag) to get more details on any of the packages.

You could also do something like
Code:
$ pkg_info -Q apache | xargs pkg_info -I
or
Code:
$ pkg_info -Q apache | xargs pkg_info -c
or
Code:
$ pkg_info -Q apache | xargs pkg_info -d
This will produce more info, from least to most. The last one will produce a lot of output!

Quote:
Code:
Error from https://stable.mtier.org/updates/5.6/i386/apache.tgz
ftp: Error retrieving file: 404 Not Found
Error from http://ftp5.usa.openbsd.org/pub/Open...386/apache.tgz
ftp: Error retrieving file: 404 Not Foun
From the *behavior*, I had assumed that it's not actually a search program, but merely informational about installed packages.
Again, please read the man page.

Quote:
Ahaha, yes. I guess I've been used to places without good documentation. I will give it to BSD, that the documentation is actually worth looking at. RTFM, good stuff. @Oko - that really wasn't helping dude. There's a reason why OpenBSD people have a reputation some times. Thanks for the link though. What I would find useful is working examples of command line searches with pkg_info.
See my example above.

Quote:
I am used to Linux, the commands, and the syntax. I could give examples, but there are plenty of minor differences (like tar no longer taking a '-' before the options). I'm working to pick it up, but OpenBSD is a *very* different system from say CentOS. A working example of a search would be awesome and extremely appreciated (as opposed to man pkg_info). I consistently get 'invalid spec' for most of the commands.
Well, you're going to get both. I think that's important.

Quote:
Also, 5.18.2 perhaps isn't the latest Perl you can get on OpenBSD 5.6 if anyone has a need for a more recent version of Perl like I thought I did.
Perl does not get updated after a release is cut. If you want a newer Perl, upgrade OpenBSD.

Quote:
I found this project very useful: https://github.com/afresh1/OpenBSD-perl.
Andrew is a friend. He is also the OpenBSD developer responsible for keeping Perl up to date.

Or you could do what jggimi described. Don't really need to add to that.
Old 4th April 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Read the man page: pkg_info(1) -Q is what you want.
Ah, that's the ticket. Cool. Thanks. Sometimes, once I have *a* solution to a problem, I don't keep looking for the *best* solution. Find worked, so job done.

I don't even know how many years it took me to stop using 'cat file | more' instead of just 'more file'.

Tim.
Old 10th April 2015
Port Guard

Thank you very much for the examples. Exactly what I needed. All of you guys are very much appreciated during my learning curve switching to OpenBSD.

Yes, I *really* am reading the man pages. You have to forgive me, for years it what you did on Linux if you just wanted null output for most stuff

As a bonus, I generate a lot less traffic to Google.

Tags
openbsd perl installation