DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2012
New User

Default which bootloader does NetBSD use

Hello,

I try to use NetBSD with Easybcd. Now I wonder what bootloader NetBSD uses so I can check if Easybcd can work with it.

Roelof
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2012
Administrator

On a dedicated NetBSD system on standard PC hardware, NetBSD is started by the code in the first sector of the diskdrive, the MBR. This code scans the partition table for an active partition and passes control to the boot code (volume boot record) at the beginning of this active partition.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_..._bootstrapping

In most boot managers you will only have to select to the MBR partition number of your NetBSD install.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2012
Too dumb for a smartphone

That's a correct and succinct description of the generic boot process, however a little more specific info may also be helpful.

Have a look at the boot(8) and mbr(8) man pages.

The upshot is that NetBSD has custom boot selector code that can optionally be installed into the MBR. It's pretty cute stuff, but if you choose to install it, it will overwrite any existing boot code in the MBR, such as presumably EasyBCD (which I've never used). But you don't have to use NetBSD's boot code in the MBR, you can use another if it has the ability to chain over to the NetBSD partition's first sector.