Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Microsoft wants to charge by Windows usage

Microsoft wants users to pay by how much they use Windows:
Quote:
Microsoft's plan would instead monitor the machine to track things such as disk storage space, processor cores and memory used, then bill the user for what was consumed during a set period.
Quote:
the company admitted that the overall cost to the user might be higher than for a standard PC purchase.
Five Reasons Microsoft Wants To Do This
1. The Road Has Run Out On Microsoft's Traditional Software Licensing Business Model.
2. The Pay As You Go Model Makes Microsoft The Sole Toll Taker.
3. Microsoft Wants Your Credit Card.
4. Google Is Eating Microsoft's Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner.
5. Microsoft Wants To Control The Horizontal And Vertical Of Your Internet Experience.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Port Guard

hell.. it's about time
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Spam Deminer

= Sun = AOL = ...
Keyword is Cloud Computing
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
Administrator

Probably MS cannot stand Google making about the same amount of money with advertising then they do with software sales
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

M$ - good luck with that one.

I'm sure they'll find plenty of suckers and those who feel trapped in a M$ world -- but they'll just drive a good number of current users away (probably to MacOS or Linux).
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
Too dumb for a smartphone

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see this working under the model that M$ gives away a high-powered PC essentially for free, and then just collects pay-per-use. If they did that, then their competitors, enemies, practial jokers, etc., could just order dozens of these things, pile them up in storage or landfill and never use them. M$ would be stuck with the tab and collect no revenue. Thus wouldn't they have to collect a significant portion of the PC's cost via a combination of up-front payment and minimum monthly fee over some contract term? At that point it seems not worthwhile for most users.

Last edited by IdOp; 31st December 2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelign
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
Arp Constable

Hmm, interesting landfill idea IdOp....

One thing I know, if those bastniches try to charge me pay as you go for MY hardware -- everything Microsoft is getting blacklisted, and anyone that won't accept a unix based OS, can kiss my shiny rebel rear end >_>.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see this working under the model that M$ gives away a high-powered PC essentially for free, and then just collects pay-per-use. If they did that, then their competitors, enemies, practial jokers, etc., could just order dozens of these things, pile them up in storage or landfill and never use them. M$ would be stuck with the tab and collect no revenue. Thus wouldn't they have to collect a significant portion of the PC's cost via a combination of up-front payment and minimum monthly fee over some contract term? At that point it seems not worthwhile for most users.
They would probably adapt to something like what cell phone companies use for pay as you go. Mine, they used to charge you a fee if you didn't use your phone at all for a month. Now, they switched to if you don't add more money to your phone, they take all the money on the account - regardless of usage or balance. So say you put on $10,000 and a month or two later you still have a $3000 balance -- no need to put more money on yet as there is still plenty. Wrong, the company just confiscated that $3000!

I can see M$ being even more malfeasant than that!
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Apparently they've been doing this in some parts of the world.
Link
Old 31st December 2008
Disgruntled desktop user

LOL!!!
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO
Old 31st December 2008
Banned

The world has officially ended, I advise everyone to sell all their Enron stock... and buy shotguns and canned beans.
Old 31st December 2008
Arp Constable

And when does the gremlins choir start singing New York, New York again?

Honestly, if they push t his thing home -> I think it will be either what saves Microsoft as king, or puts the nail on their coffen. Hell, everyone who believes in computer privacy will be up in arms if it ever comes to pass.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 31st December 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Has anyone ever thought that, undoubtedly, this plan, apart from increasing Microsoft's revenue (otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it) it will also be an opportunity for some people to take advantage of?
How many people pay for their cell phone devices? None. They all pay it indirectly but it is easier for them even if the cost is higher.

Microsoft:
Quote:
But the company admitted that the overall cost to the user might be higher than for a standard PC purchase. "Although the cost of ownership over the life of the computer may be higher than that of a one-time purchase, the payments can be deferred and the user can extend the useful life of the computer beyond that of the one-time purchase machine,"
At least the say it clearly

JMJ_coder:
Quote:
Mine, they used to charge you a fee if you didn't use your phone at all for a month. Now, they switched to if you don't add more money to your phone, they take all the money on the account - regardless of usage or balance. So say you put on $10,000 and a month or two later you still have a $3000 balance -- no need to put more money on yet as there is still plenty. Wrong, the company just confiscated that $3000!
Were I you, I'd change company.

TerryP:
Quote:
Honestly, if they push t his thing home -> I think it will be either what saves Microsoft as king, or puts the nail on their coffen. Hell, everyone who believes in computer privacy will be up in arms if it ever comes to pass.
Honestly, I don't think that such a thing can be done on an individual level because of the reason you just mentioned (privacy). But for a company... a SLA is more than enough for both sides. And that is where Microsoft is looking at.
Old 20th May 2009
Shell Scout

Will This affect those running M$ Linux? Or only those in M$ Windoze.
Old 20th May 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

I think the real question is whether it will be possible to get regular weekly podcast updates about M$ Linux on a blackberry.
Old 21st May 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
I think the real question is whether it will be possible to get regular weekly podcast updates about M$ Linux on a blackberry.
Dunno. you'll probably need to ask in the M$ Linux forums.
Old 21st May 2009
Shell Scout

LOL. In addition to the 'thanks', how about adding a 'funny' button.
Old 21st May 2009
More noise than signal

What, no one has seen www.mslinux.org ??
Old 21st May 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Yesterday we received a Microsoft/Intel bribe cake at work, they want us to tell all kind of bullshit to customers so we will sell more.
They will send ``mystery shoppers'', and if we tell&sell them the correct bullshit, we can win a lot of prizes.

The cake was delicious.
Arp Constable

Ha, ain't seen that site in years Jggimi!