DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

Question How to optimize FreeBSD 7.0 ?

Hi,

While i was googling, i found this page.

The optimizations described are said 'applyable' to FreeBSD 4 and 5.
Can they be applied to a FreeBSD 7.0 ? I am interesting in optimizing the software compilation process. Where can i find an up to date guide to achieve this?
How, once it is done, recompile all the already installed ports?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

I suggest that you leave your CFLAGS alone. You just break things if you play with them. Default CFLAGS are quaranteed to work.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
UNIX lover

Just change the scheduler from 4BSD to SCHED_ULE.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erno View Post
I suggest that you leave your CFLAGS alone. You just break things if you play with them. Default CFLAGS are quaranteed to work.
Maybe, but I don't think that's the best way to learn more about it and how to use it even more efficiently.

That's why I am asking. I guess that if these flags are there and modifiable it must be because they can be used and I'd like to know how.
If somebody can help me....
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

But that flags may interact very badly with some ports, so use them on your own risk.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
But that flags may interact very badly with some ports, so use them on your own risk.
yes I got that. But being afraid of them won't help me to understand them.
Of course I have a sandbox to play with them. I would just like to have a more detailed guide than the make.conf itself.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Local

@Sunsawe: tinkering to learn more is a noble effort, IMO, but there is a clearly a best practice here. If you mess with your CFLAGS (against the good advice on this thread), you're on your own to fix the problem.

From the manpages for make.conf(5):
Quote:
CFLAGS (str) Controls the compiler setting when compiling C code.
Optimization levels other than -O and -O2 are not sup-
ported...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Dont' play with the CFLAGS, just set the CPUTYPE value to according your CPU on /etc/make.conf . This enables all the safe and recommended optimizations.

Last edited by harisman; 29th May 2008 at 03:37 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

Thanks, it seems that only setting the cpu is useful.
But how can I recompile all the already installed ports to take this change in account?
Old 29th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

First, do a backup of all installed packages with pkg_create -b using a 'for' loop

Then, do a portupgrade -arR
Old 29th May 2008
UNIX lover

The performance gain will be marginal but looking after the problem if some port fails to compile will drives you crazy. Furthermore posting a PR with such 'optimizations' will not get you any response. This is in my opinion 'Gentooish behaviour'.

>But how can I recompile all the already installed ports to take this change in account?

As you can see, there are more important thing to learn instead of tinkering with the stability and reliability of the system

http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?s...ic=portupgrade
Arp Constable

The posts generally applicable.

My advice:

Set CPUTYPE as harisman suggested, it makes sense to do so (for example I havn't used any thing but i685 and em64t chips in a long time, never seen an Intel 80386 either)

Using SCHED_ULE might be worth while as Oliver_H posted. I've personally never had a problem with any of the schedulers I've built kernels off, but I don't run high load servers !

Do not mess with CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS unless you know what you are doing.

Do not mess with CFLAGS unless you know what you are doing and are a C Programmer familiar with the available options to gcc.

Do not not mess with CXXFLAGS unless you know what you are doing and are a C++ Programmer familiar with the available options to g++.

Do not touch CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS for building world or kernel unless you are a FreeBSD hacker and know what you are doing.

Always read the compiler documentation before setting CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS outside your own programs, and even then read it if you don't know what is happening.

(Might seem rude but the above comments might make life easier in the long run.)

The cross reference to optimizing kernel builds should be taken with a grain of salt as far as some parts go. Same for the kernel related options imho -> make sure of things before screwing around with non-important stuff, less headaches then hunt & pecking options.

Locate bottlenecks before trying to optimize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
With any performance tuning, it is important to monitor your system after you make your changes. Did you go overboard, or underestimate what you would need? Always check and adjust accordingly. The numbers here might not be the exact ones that you need!

Unless you hit a spot that can benefit from optimization, you probably shouldn't change things from defaults unless you know what your changing or are willing to play with it until you either break it, fix it, or perfect it.

PS:

I generally build my own programs with CFLAGS set to one of these values in my makefiles:

Code:
# normal build
CFLAGS= -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wconversion \
        -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes \
        -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Winline -Wnested-externs\
        -std=c99 -march=i686

# for debugging builds append to CFLAGS
 -ggdb  # or -g3

# optimized builds with options added after clfags, used for testing for problems that may occur in the code when optimized
OFLAGS= -fforce-mem -fforce-addr -finline-functions -fstrength-reduce \
        -floop-optimize -O3
These are my standard settings, each was chosen with consideration behind the them and I usually settle on warnings only while writing things, saving the rest for playing around.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 30th May 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
This is very true. I was banging my head against the desk when I couldn't figure out why TripWire built but could never generate the keys for signing files. Turns out TripWire doesn't like

Code:
CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
On a desktop system, you can fiddle with it, just be aware of the consequences. In a production setting, I would stay away from it.
Old 30th May 2008
Administrator

here you have an example /etc/make.conf from one of my boxes:
http://toya.net.pl/~vermaden/text/make.conf

you should also tweak /etc/src.conf for base system components tweaking: src.conf(5)

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 30th May 2008
UNIX lover

But remember vermaden is a former Gentoo user ;-)
New User

After messing with my CFLAGS on a test system, I am inclined to agree that leaving them alone is for the best. I used O3 optimizations and noticed the stability of the system fell as a consequence.

Also, messing with the CFLAGS often prevents a successful buildworld.

The only optimizations I now do, is to set the CPUTYPE. I remove unnecessary modules from the kernel, and use the ULE scheduler.
Old 1st June 2008
Banned

None of you should be messing with the CFLAGS, unless you have the slightest idea what the options do, leave them alone.. you're more likely to break something then improve performance any.
Old 2nd June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
But remember vermaden is a former Gentoo user ;-)
vermaden is a smart ex-Gentoo user who's settled on a great operating system in its place. I'm sure he knows this too. I ditched Gentoo for Debian. I was running FreeBSD, which I like even more, but no official support from ATi and no KDE 4, I think I'll wait to migrate.