DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2009
New User

Default snd_emu10k1 and static

I'm running Freebsd 7.2 and using the snd_emu10k1 driver for my soundblaster live. I hear static noises when playing mp3s in xmms, also from the sound effects in pidgin.

Does anyone know of any tweaking I can try to get it to play clearly? Let me know what information you still need.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Are you sure your speakers, cables, and sound card are OK? This is usually a hardware problem.

One way to check is to run a Linux LiveCD. If it has the same problem then you can be pretty sure it's a hardware problem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2009
New User

Thank you Carpetsmoker. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem because I run a dual boot with Windows but don't have any of the same problems when I'm in Windows.

One thing I thought of trying is using the OSS driver instead of the snd_emu10k1 driver from Freebsd. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kly View Post
Thank you Carpetsmoker. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem because I run a dual boot with Windows but don't have any of the same problems when I'm in Windows.

One thing I thought of trying is using the OSS driver instead of the snd_emu10k1 driver from Freebsd. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks
Unless you do not want to use drivers developed by people who signed non-disclosure agreements because you believe in open source software OSS drivers are very good and support usually more devices than the native kernel drivers.

I hear that 8.0 has entirely new sound system. You might want to check that one. I personally have not used FreeBSD for the past two years.