DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Default I want OpenBSD on my Thinkpad but..

Hi, I currently have Slackware on my Thinkpad because of the usb support for Calibre because I have a Kobo Aura HD. The OpenBSD Calibre port has no direct USB/MTP access in the OpenBSD package. I remember running Calibre on FreeBSD, years ago, because at the time I had a Sony Ereader (before Kobo took over as the high-end ereader) and I did just treat the Ereader as a generic usb storage device and loaded books on it that way but when I put books processed by Calibre on it that seriously hampered my ability to manage my ebooks ,on my device, because of metadata issues. I'm afraid the samething would happen with OpenBSD and my Kobo device. I'm willing to get around this by using windows in a virtual machine if there is a virtual machine that has usb passthrough on OpenBSD. Despite using *nix systems for 17 years I'm not a developer (I can shell script and write some perl scripts when sed and awk run out of steam but that is about it regular sysadmin stuff) so I can't simply just add the support I desire to OpenBSD.

Anyway, usb support in Calibre is a killer seemingly needed feature for me and other than that OpenBSD has everything I want for my laptop. I prefer OpenBSD to Slackware and really don't like the GPL and I can't stand the post 1990's Linux community -- I'd rather not be associated with it so any tips or advice is welcome. You are free to advise me to stay with Linux, as well, but I really hope that isn't the case.

Last edited by Angevin; 26th October 2014 at 11:40 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2014
More noise than signal

Welcome back!

OpenBSD has had devel/libmtp in the ports tree since 2007, This library is a dependency of audio/amarok, audio/clementine, audio/gnomad2, textproc/calibre, and x11/gnome/banshee. All of these but calibre are audio players or audio management.

I just replaced an Android phone last week and I, too, would like to have MTP capability, since the newer phone does not support USB mass storage. All I have discovered in 15 minutes of playing with the "example" binaries packaged with libmtp that 1) they can communicate with the phone, and recognize and report the phone's make/model, and 2) I cannot figure out how to get any additional communication to proceed after that.

While not the same as a direct MTP attachment, I've seen recommendations to install and use applications like Airdroid, ftpdroid, or SSHDroidPro to move files with systems that do not support MTP. Of that short list, I have Airdroid.

In the past, I've implemented SSH clients and servers on Android phones, but as I haven't rooted this new phone that's not (yet) an option for me.

Last edited by jggimi; 27th October 2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2014
OpenBSD language porter

FYI: from the port itself

Code:
# Requires /sys filesystem for HW detection
MAKE_ENV +=             WITH_USB=no
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2014
More noise than signal

Yup. And more clearly, righ in the pkg/DESCR:
Code:
   (note, no direct USB/MTP access in the OpenBSD package)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

So does anyone happen to know if qemu currently has usb passthrough support ? I know throughout its history, on OpenBSD, it has varied in regard to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi
Welcome back!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi
While not the same as a direct MTP attachment, I've seen recommendations to install and use applications like Airdroid, ftpdroid, or SSHDroidPro to move files with systems that do not support MTP. Of that short list, I have Airdroid.
I can treat my reader as a usb storage device, in OpenBSD, and load books manually : the problem is that Calibre has to be able to to sync the metadata directly,itself, for one reason or another last time I remember. I can still put books on my device but without the metadata Calibre is significantly lacking as a ebook manager then. I don't really remember the details because it was so long ago so maybe it isn't an issue anymore but I doubt it.

Last edited by Angevin; 27th October 2014 at 09:38 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angevin View Post
So does anyone happen to know if qemu currently has usb passthrough support ? I know throughout its history, on OpenBSD, it has varied in regard to this.
According to the man page for QEMU 2.1.2, USB pass through is Linux-only:
Code:
       host:bus.addr
           Pass through the host device identified by bus.addr (Linux
           only).

host:vendor_id:product_id
           Pass through the host device identified by vendor_id:product_id
           (Linux only).

Last edited by jggimi; 27th October 2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Screw it I decided to install OpenBSD on my laptop, anyway. No more Slackware for me. I had slackware freeze or lock up on me several times and also alot of slackware users said they would continue to use slackware if Patrick Volkerding decided to switch to Systemd in the future. Linux users and many of the developers obviously don't give a sh*t about the Unix philosophy. Not even Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds care about the Unix philosophy. Eric S. Raymond does, though. I can't associate with the Linux community, anymore, for this reason and many others.

Last edited by Angevin; 29th October 2014 at 07:51 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Screw it I decided to install OpenBSD on my laptop, anyway. No more Slackware for me. I had slackware freeze or lock up on me several times
I never had issues with freezes or lock ups when running Slackware.
Quote:
and also alot of slackware users said they would continue to use slackware if Patrick Volkerding decided to switch to Systemd in the future.
So what?
Quote:
Linux users and many of the developers obviously don't give a sh*t about the Unix philosophy.
Of course not. Nothing new there.
Quote:
Not even Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds care about the Unix philosophy.
What made you think those two ever cared?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st November 2014
Port Guard

Don't use OpenBSD because you don't want to use Linux. Use OpenBSD because you want to use OpenBSD.
Quote:
Anyway, usb support in Calibre is a killer seemingly needed feature for me
I've always used my kindle as a USB storage device, so I never needed the USB support in calibre. But if you're having metadata problems, it might be worth poking around some message boards and see if others have found solutions to the problem. This sounds like a calibre bug or Kobo's database isn't refreshing properly.
Old 9th November 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord
Don't use OpenBSD because you don't want to use Linux. Use OpenBSD because you want to use OpenBSD.
I use OpenBSD because I prefer a simple UNIX system : the quality documentation and security features are just icing on the cake. I used to like NetBSD better because it was simple, too, and it seemed more flexible and pkgsrc spanks ports IMHO but NetBSD has stumbled into obsolesence IMHO so now I prefer OpenBSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord
I've always used my kindle as a USB storage device, so I never needed the USB support in calibre. But if you're having metadata problems, it might be worth poking around some message boards and see if others have found solutions to the problem. This sounds like a calibre bug or Kobo's database isn't refreshing properly.
I wrongly anticipated that I would have a problem because managing my old Sony Ereaders with Calibre metadata was much more pleasurable than not having it loaded, on the device, but with the Kobo it doesn't matter the kobo is more intelligent at managing books just put onto it as a generic USB storage device. Anyway, I recommend the Kobo Aura HD or Kobo Aura HD H20 to OpenBSD users over the other Ereaders, because it is very OS agnostic (only the setup is less agnostic as one can use the computer software which runs on windows and mac but one could instead set it up wirelessly without a need for the windows or mac software). Also, it is higher- end hardware and supports more ebook formats than the kindle e.g. the most important one being the ubiquitous epub format.

Last edited by Angevin; 9th November 2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 9th November 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
I never had issues with freezes or lock ups when running Slackware.
Well I did. What are you trying to imply I am lying or that it was user error ? I can assure you I am not lying and it was not user error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf
So what?
So it shows that not even the niche Linux community of the most Unix-like Linux distro care about the Unix philosophy. I care about the Unix philosophy so that is one of the reasons why I don't use Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf
What made you think those two ever cared?
Well Linus at one point must of cared about Unix because Linus Torvalds said in 1993: “If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would probably never have happened.”

Anyway, Linux is full of shoddy cheap little hacks that just happen to run and it is insecure trash. Linux is for bitches and dumb ones at that .

I have these simple beliefs:

1) The root partition should be small... painfully so.

2) /var is not for web servers or their content.

3) The kernel has one job: to keeping the system up, running and stable, not
to serve web content - I don't care if it's faster from the kernel. (Linux can serve web content from the kernel i.e. kHTTPdl)

4) Really understanding IP and the applications built upon it is a
requirement before you are "1337" (Linux users think they are 'l337' just because they use Linux and if one properly understands the OSI related layer model of TCP/IP then one would never put a web server in the kernel).

5.)The init system should follow the Unix philosophy of doing one thing and doing it well etc.. and should not be a bloated monolithic program with needless dependencies like systemd.

6) I don't care how fast something is, if it comes at the cost of security or stability it's stupid.

7) *BSD is the way.

Last edited by Angevin; 9th November 2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 9th November 2014
PrinceCruise

Quote:
Linux is for bitches and dumb ones at that
Saying that doesn't make you or *BSD any better than Linux and Linux users.

Regards.
Old 9th November 2014
ISO Quartermaster

As for mtp support--I tend to use either CentOS or FreeBSD, both of which have iffy MTP support, at least last time I looked. However, the ES file explorer app on a phone has an FTP server which can be easily used to transfer files. There's also an ssh server app. It's something I turn on if I want to transfer files to and from my phone, then turn off.

As for anti-Linux comments, fun though they may be, it strikes me as it always did with Linux users sniping at Windows and Mac--as BSD has far less market share and vendor support than Linux, I feel--and of course, this is only one old grouch's opinion--that it makes us look silly, like a little dog barking at a big dog. (At least on public forums). The official FreeBSD stance is, in response to <Whatever> is better than FreeBSD or FreeBSD is better than <Whatever> is that that is user opinion only. (Granted that is FreeBSD and the discussion here is about OpenBSD--and more importantly, we didn't see Angevin's face as they typed, they may have just been being silly, figuring everyone would get the sarcasm).
Old 9th November 2014
Arp Constable

On the Windows vs Linux(Ubuntu vs RedHat vs Debian vs Slackware) vs FreeBSD vs OpenBSD issue I view the Operating Systems as tools. Each has their strengths - pick the best one for the task at hand.
Old 9th November 2014
VPN Cryptographer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Linux is for bitches and dumb ones at that .
I've been running OpenBSD since 5.0 and FreeBSD since 5.x. I've been a Slacker since 2004. At the Moment I have one OpenBSD box (this one) and three Slackware units. I'm running FreeBSD 10.0 in a VM.
Is that comment of yours really needed? I don't think xenophobic statements like that are helpful.

Tags
calibre, ebooks, openbsd, usb