DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
Port Guard

Default how to upgrade firmware?

Just posting a follow up question:

I have a wireless nic that requires the firmware to be downloaded, what would be the best way to update the system with that in mind? The firmware is already on the system - would I need to drop to shell and manually load it?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
bsdstudent

hi @tls ! if I misunderstood your question just ignore my often-foolish post :
your case is similar to mine in that I too need wpi firmware to be downloaded .. what I do is just download the right firmware for later use after pkg_deleting everything .. I export PKG_PATH=~/ and install the firmware .. then reboot on bsd.rd and start upgrading .. so no need to fall back to wired connection ..
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
bsdstudent

http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls View Post
Just posting a follow up question...
Discussion has been split from its parent:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=7028

...due to a shift in topic. Follow-up questions should be posted in new threads.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls View Post
Posting a follow up question...
I suspect you have note found that your follow-up question has been split from its parent thread. We ask that members do not turn threads into a smorgasboard of different topics. This make searching for specific information difficult (since most members use the site's search facility the most...).

This is covered in the forum rules.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
I suspect you have note found that your follow-up question has been split from its parent thread. We ask that members do not turn threads into a smorgasboard of different topics. This make searching for specific information difficult (since most members use the site's search facility the most...).

This is covered in the forum rules.
My mistake, I'll certainly keep that in mind.

@daemonfowl

Thanks, I am aware of where to get the firmware - and as of 5.1 it downloads it with no interaction on my part. Could you explain how you are loading the firmware after booting the new ramdisk?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
sorry @tls but I don't understand what you mean by loading the firmware .. if you install a firmware it should load on reboot but it won't work unless you properly set ifconfig.
I first download the new firmware (wpi*.tgz) to my ~/
$ sudo pkg_delete /var/db/pkg/*
$ export PKG_PATH=~/
$ sudo pkg_add wpi*.tgz
$ sudo reboot
> prompt > bsd.rd
Sorry if this sounds silly but that's how a newbie does it ..
Are you aware that command will delete all installed packages on OpenBSD? What makes you think that will help solve the problem? To me, it's overkill. You can either delete the specified firmware package or simply upgrade it with newer firmware version. You need to read the FAQ carefully, especially the section abou packages and you should think carefully about these commands you have typed above.

Secondly, you don't need to use export PKG_PATH command to install a specified package on your local machine. You just do:
Code:
sudo pkg_add -v ~/firmwarename.tgz
or do an absolute path somewhere on another directory
Code:
sudo pkg_add -v /direction/to/package.tgz
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2012
bsdstudent

Thanks bmk1st
Maybe now you are aware of a different kind of newbies and that newbieness isn't one-layered .. coming to OpenBSD .. some lack in more than some ..
I was being too TRANSPARENT when I revealed what I usually do before upgrading ..
so that one of you come and correct me and the likes of me before they fall -too- to Bathos .. was it a mistake exposing one's ignorance ? I don't want want or need an answer.
I stop right here.
Thanks very much.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th April 2012
Port Guard

I am pretty sure this thread has deviated from the original question so I'll mark this as a special case and use the ethernet cable to do the upgrade.

But if you happen to know how to load firmware for a wireless nic while booting a new bsd.rd feel free to comment - I am sure inquiring minds would like to know.
Old 30th April 2012
Port Guard

Just wanted to post an update - it would be best if updating through wifi to download the sets to a usb stick and mount it at boot. If your laptop uses special firmware and your only upgrading, the firmware will still be present post install.