DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2010
Port Guard

Default More of libdvdcss and FreeBSD

I still have to open the dvd on a windows machine, in this case XP, go to its .dvdcss directory copy the key for the DVD
Code:
c:\Documents and Settings\......\.dvdcss\<name_of_dvd>\<key_data>
and put it into
Code:
/usr/home/<username>/.dvdcss/<name_of_dvd>/<key_data>
on the BSD machine for it to unscramble. All of the players will work with that. None of them will work without the key from the windows machine. Anyone have info on that? Thanks.

I'm sure that some of you have been into DVD's for years. I just recently started looking into it. I've read about what CSS is and how it works with the hardware etc. I thought that libdvdcss would generate the keys necessary to play a DVD without having to get at least one of the keys from a "licensed" OS - hardware device. What am I missing here?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2010
Administrator

Yes, I have been into DVD for years, on a simple stand-alone DVD player. I leave playing DVDs under a BSD OS to the masochists under us
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2010
Banned

There is no issue like this on OpenBSD, unlike AACS (HDDVD/Blu-Ray) DVD's CSS is simplistic by comparison.. i.e: there is no player key blacklisting.

When CSS security was compromised, it made things really easy for "unauthorized" players to be made.. either software (DeCSS/libdvdcss) or foreign black market devices.

This means that studios and vendors cannot lock out any specific device, I buy and rent DVD's all the time and they're successfully decrypted by mplayer+libdvdcss and my region-free macrovision-disabled "Norcent" DVD player.

They simply must retain compatibility, people would not be amused if their older player could no longer watch new releases... given the crazy circumstances in Blu-Ray/HDDVD land, I don't understand how people can tolerate their models being "locked out" of watching new releases.

Back to your issue, libdvdcss should be able to decrypt your disks.. make sure that your user has adequate permissions to access the RAW device node.

The FreeBSD port doesn't appear to cripple the port in any way, they just prevent distribution on their CD-ROM due to the American DMCA issue.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 2nd January 2010 at 04:35 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
make sure that your user has adequate permissions to access the RAW device node.
Yes I thought about that. Won't decrypt running player as root.

Here is what I have. I have a DVD here "The Great Escape"

When I attempt to play the DVD
On the windows(XP) box in the .dvdcss directory I get
Code:
 c:\Documents and Settings\.......\.dvdcss\GESCAPE-1998022609573900-00ecada931\0000354dda
And the contents of 0000354dda is c0:ec:ad:a9:31
And the DVD plays of course. I use mplayer on windows too.

On the FreeBSD box in the .dvdcss folder I get
Code:
/usr/home/<username>/.dvdcss/GESCAPE-1998022609573900-00ecada931
and nothing in the directory. And the DVD is scrambled of course.

If I make a text file named 0000354dda, make the contents c0:ec:ad:a9:31, make it executable,
Or just simply copy the key over from windows the DVD plays fine on the BSD box.
I thought about permission problem but running a player as root should eliminate that shouldn't it?

Quote:
I leave playing DVDs under a BSD OS to the masochists under us
Ya I got my teeth into it now and want to know how it works.

Thanks for the help.