DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Mac Os X here we go

I am a Mac user at the moment but I am not that kind of typical mac user the one that can not live without the Apple symbol in each corner. So I want to try FreeBSD especially because it is open Source and I want to give open source a try.

Now what I am looking for ? I have the following Applications and I want to replace them with free open source, so tell what is best, or your preferred choice.

Mail, ical, Addressbook= mozilla collection, because that works best, or ?
itunes = banshee
Safari = Firefox
ichat= gajim (just wondering if it is possible to get a ichat skin for this application) or any other small jabber client
TexShop=a LaTeX with the result on the one side and the code on the other like this
textmate = gedit and this tutorial
photoshop= gimp
dashboard= the option to press F12 and have a bunch or small little applications that show for example the to do's for today, some notes, quick access to google and leo.org as well as wikipedia, maybe the weather, and rss feeds
dock= the bottom line in Mac Os X you know with the option to launch applications from and maybe also the option to have things like stacks.
quicklook = in mac OS X we have the feature to preview any kind of file by simply hitting the space key.
pages, Microsoft office = open office
cocoa Mysql= an mysql client that allows me to access mysql database through an ssh tunnel
some calculator that plots math functions and can calculate LaTeX code
skype = skype
windows emulation = As some people require me to have windows to be compatible I need some emulation running.

Sounds easy does not it so I want it a bit more specific I am going to use freeBSD + fxce + compiz on an PowerPc based mobile computer.

And the aim is to look like a Mac, behave like a Mac (stable and secure) but run even faster, much faster. Therefore the application should look nice but run fast.

I would be pleased to here your answers. And suggestions if you think I should take a look at some other applications.

Regrades Snoop1990