DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Default install FileZilla in OpenBSD 4.2

I use OpenBSD 4.2 and install it before . I check ports tree and site , I can not find this package and I think this package dose not make for OpenBSD 4.2
How I can install this package and use it ???
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
I check ports tree and site , I can not find this package and I think this package dose not make for OpenBSD 4.2
According to the CVS log for filezilla's Makefile:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...zilla/Makefile

The initial check-in was made in December 2007 which was after the release of OpenBSD 4.2. You have two choices:
  • Either upgrade to OpenBSD 4.3 or 4.4 where filezilla is officially supported.
  • Port filezilla to OpenBSD 4.2 yourself.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
According to the CVS log for filezilla's Makefile:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...zilla/Makefile

The initial check-in was made in December 2007 which was after the release of OpenBSD 4.2. You have two choices:
  • Either upgrade to OpenBSD 4.3 or 4.4 where filezilla is officially supported.
  • Port filezilla to OpenBSD 4.2 yourself.

Can I install it from source ???
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
Can I install it from source ???
It is difficult to gauge how difficult porting will be until the job is done, & having prior experience certainly helps.

In general, there are two central issues which have to be resolved in porting any application to OpenBSD:
  • Is the application written in a POSIX-compliant manner? Or was the intent to specifically target Linux? Does it use libraries which are not present on OpenBSD?

All of these questions can potentially mean that you may need to spend significant time researching & porting supporting libraries required by the application.
  • Secondly, do assumptions made by the application conform to the filesystem layout used by OpenBSD (see the manpage to hier(7) for more information...)? Making an application found in the wild conform to OpenBSD's layout may take even more time & thought.
These are the issues that have to be dealt with in porting any application to OpenBSD's environment. If you are up to the challenge of porting filezilla, go for it, but be prepared to put a lot of time to complete the task.

However, the simplest solution is to upgrade to a newer version of OpenBSD. According to Section 5.1 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors

...any interest in support of OpenBSD 4.2 ended with the release of OpenBSD 4.4. You will not get help in porting either here or on the OpenBSD mailing lists. As of the first of November, OpenBSD 4.2 is no longer a supported version.

Again, the simplest solution is to upgrade versions of the operating system.