DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2024
Shell Scout

Default can't connect to openbsd through standard VNC : connection refused

hello

i tried to :
install tigervnc
launch vncserver from the users'ssh remotely
i added a password

then in root:
/etc/pf.conf
Quote:
block return out log proto {tcp udp} user _pbuild
pass in on egress proto udp from any to port 5900
pass in proto tcp from any to athn0 port 5900
pass in proto udp from any to athn0 port 5900
pass in on egress proto tcp from any to any port 5900
pass in on egress proto udp from any to any port 5900
restart by :
pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf

then, on the vnc client, to connect :
lanip:5900

with serveal pc on the same lan (everything is on lan, nothing uses internet), everytime the vnc client fails :
ConnectToTcpAddr[ipv4]: connect: Connection refused
Trying ipv6 connection to '192.168.1.53'
ConnectToTcpAddr[ipv6]: trying ip-addr: '192.168.1.53'
ConnectToTcpAddr[ipv6]: connect: Connection refused
Unable to connect to VNC server (192.168.1.53:5900)
vncviewer command failed: 0

i tried to look at :
https://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=2449
https://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=11837
https://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=12505

without solution

even in fe80:: .. i just dont understand
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2024
More noise than signal

I see what I believe are PF configuration errors.
  • You have provisioned `from any to port 5900`. I believe you want either `from any to any port 5900` or `any to (self) port 5900`. The grammar expects a host to follow "to", with as in this case, an optional port number.
  • You have provisioned `to athn0` but i believe you meant `on athn0`, since PF expects the operand following "to" to refer to a host or multiple hosts, not to an interface.
I recommend caution when ever you use `from`, `to`, `in`, and `on` as these limit what traffic matches the rule, and it is easy to make mistakes.

If the intent is to "permit both UDP and TCP traffic from anywhere that uses destination port 5900 to pass in both directions, if the traffic transits through athn0" then this rule should suffice:
Code:
pass on athn0 proto { tcp udp } from any to any port 5900
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I see what I believe are PF configuration errors.
  • You have provisioned `from any to port 5900`. I believe you want either `from any to any port 5900` or `any to (self) port 5900`. The grammar expects a host to follow "to", with as in this case, an optional port number.
  • You have provisioned `to athn0` but i believe you meant `on athn0`, since PF expects the operand following "to" to refer to a host or multiple hosts, not to an interface.
I recommend caution when ever you use `from`, `to`, `in`, and `on` as these limit what traffic matches the rule, and it is easy to make mistakes.

If the intent is to "permit both UDP and TCP traffic from anywhere that uses destination port 5900 to pass in both directions, if the traffic transits through athn0" then this rule should suffice:
Code:
Quote:
Impossible to connect to VNC server
i suspect being a firewall issue.

i tried by following this how-to :
https://www.tumfatig.net/2011/vnc-server-on-openbsd/
does it works for you?
for me : no.

i didnt found any other...

if somebody 'd like to help me, by xmpp tchat, to create a kind of "automatic script" whom permits to enable read-to-be-used VNC for workstations and personal laptops, in a way to avoid serching for hours a proper way of remote control..

alone i wont be able to..
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1 Week Ago
More noise than signal

1. I already provided a PF rule which should pass port 5900 in any direction. Have you applied this rule? If so, what does your COMPLETE pf.conf look like now?

2. You are trying to follow a 13-year-old "howto" which does not have any firewall recommendations. Have you contacted the author for any updates or guidance? There is an email link at the bottom of the page.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4 Days Ago
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
1. I already provided a PF rule which should pass port 5900 in any direction. Have you applied this rule? If so, what does your COMPLETE pf.conf look like now?

2. You are trying to follow a 13-year-old "howto" which does not have any firewall recommendations. Have you contacted the author for any updates or guidance? There is an email link at the bottom of the page.
hello:

pf.conf :
Quote:
set skip on lo

block return # block stateless traffic
pass # establish keep-state

# By default, do not permit remote connections to X11
#block return in on ! lo0 proto tcp to port 6000:6010

# Port build user does not need network

rc.conf.local:
Quote:
x11vnc_flags="-listen 0.0.0.0 -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.passwd -logfile /var/log/x11vnc -ncache 0 -display :0 -forever -loop100 -auth /etc/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-*"
pls consider me as a 13yo boy as openbsd is not that simple
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3 Days Ago
More noise than signal

You do not appear to have a firewall issue. From what you've posted, you have a "default pass" configuration. All traffic will either match the very last rule (pass on athn0...) if it is destined for port 5900 in either direction, otherwise, any other traffic will match your second rule (pass). PF has a "last matching rule wins" policy, unless expressly overridden, so your only block rule will not be applied to any traffic.
  1. Is x11vnc running? # rcctl check x11vnc should help.
  2. If it is, are you able to connect to it via loopback ("localhost" or "127.0.0.1" or "::1")?