DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2013
Port Guard

Default automounting devices on Xfce4 with hotplugd does not work

OPENBSD 5.4 and XFCE 4.10

Using hotplugd and the instructions given here:

http://www.tumfatig.net/20110903/aut...ck-on-openbsd/ (sorry not able to post links, please copy/paste)

The above instructions does not seem to work, even after a reboot.

Is there any alternative way to auto mount devices in Xfce 4 and OpenBSD?

I have dbus-daemon running on system startup and I use xdm to launch xfce4-session with the ck-launch-session (to enable shutdown and reboot from within xfce4 in .xsession)

.xsession file:
Code:
ck-launch-session xfce4-session

Also thunar-volman seems to be missing in OpenBSD and it appears that functionality is not provided.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Last edited by ocicat; 5th December 2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: URL enabled
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2013
Port Guard

OK on further research it appears that the above does not work for CDs inserted into the drive. Must look for either static mounting or consider amd.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2013
More noise than signal

Welcome back!

AFAIK, thunar-volman is Linux-only, as I understand that it relies upon Linux kernel udev functions.

Your research is correct, hotplugd(8) initiates scripts only on device addition/deletion, not on media insertion into existing devices.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2013
Arp Constable

It is not automounting but there is a an xfce mount plugin that allows you to quickly mount devices, including CD's. If you frequently need to mount media it may be the next best thing.
A OpenBSD binary package is available. J65nko also has written a howto regarding user mounting of devices.

Last edited by shep; 5th December 2013 at 03:18 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2013
Port Guard

Thanks. I got static mounting to work on my cdrom device by following the instructions in the link above (kern.usermount=1) and setting the mount directory read/write for the user.

Regarding mass storage media, unfortunately ext4 seems to be unsupported in OpenBSD and other BSDs. It does not even mount as ext2 readonly which I wrongly assumed would be possible. That is a deal breaker, since all my data is on an ext4 partition in my external hard disk, I am unable to use OpenBSD for my purpose (for my office work). For some reason I was also unable to mount the internal hard disk NTFS partition of Windows XP residing on Primary Master (not sure why, it keeps saying device not configured).

Regretfully I have had to revert to Debian. I really got so far in OpenBSD and unfortunate that I have to fall back to Linux now. Maybe once I reformat my external hard drive, I will use ext2fs or ext3fs on it and can use OpenBSD.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2013
VPN Cryptographer

FreeBSD will mount ext4 as ext2 (I think ext3 as well), but it is read-only.

For ntfs partitions you'd want to use the fuse ntfs-3g driver.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2013
Port Guard

thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a copy of the latest FreeBSD right now, but the reason I was drawn to OpenBSD is that it treats binary packages as first class citizens, unlike FreeBSD, which prefers ports. I much prefer binary packages. And OpenBSD is much lighter to install as well and fairly simple (ignoring the fdisk+disklabel)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2013
More noise than signal

When and if you elect to return to OpenBSD:
  1. To my knowledge there are no plans to be able to mount ext4 filesystems. You can mount ext2 or ext3, as the latter is ext2 plus journaling.
  2. NTFS filesystems can be mounted read/only. Fuse support has been added to OpenBSD (for 5.5), and there is a working ntfs-3g port for read/write mounting -- it works for me -- which will likely be a binary package for 5.5.
It's too late to diagnose your NTFS filesystem problem, as you're no longer running OpenBSD, but with the limited information provided I assume one of these are the likely root cause of your failure to mount:
  • The drive had an OpenBSD disklabel installed that was misconfigured.
  • The drive did not have an MBR installed. OpenBSD requires either an MBR or a disklabel.
  • Correct MBR/disklabel but the NTFS partition was not in clean state (e.g.: Windows "hibernated" or otherwise not shut down)
  • Typographic error in your mount command.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2013
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar View Post
thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a copy of the latest FreeBSD right now, but the reason I was drawn to OpenBSD is that it treats binary packages as first class citizens, unlike FreeBSD, which prefers ports. I much prefer binary packages. And OpenBSD is much lighter to install as well and fairly simple (ignoring the fdisk+disklabel)
This maybe true in the past but now there is PKGNG with official package repository and such. It is working now in 9.x but will default package manager in 10. But I prefer ports.

I'll agree that OpenBSD install is lighter and more simple, but my current FreeBSD system has been running since 2005 so I haven't run the installer since then.
Port Guard

@roddierod, hi, interesting developments in the FreeBSD world, that! pkgng seems to be worth looking into.

Currently I have installed OpenBSD on a virtualbox in my debian laptop. I will try and see how much I can set it up as a desktop system.

I love Gnome 3 too. For some reason on my office machine, Gnome and GDM failed to startup in spite of the instructions given in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/

Gnome/gdm simply errored out with a "something went wrong. log out and try again". I will come back with the specific problem if I encounter it again.

On my office system I have an ATI Rage XL PCI card and it doesn't have 3d support either in Linux or BSD. But even then gnome should work in fallback/failsafe mode.

@jggimi, thanks for your tips. I will keep them in mind.
Old 6th December 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Gnome and GDM failed to startup in spite of the instructions given in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/
I'm fairly certain whatever issues you are having can be addressed. If interested, please start a separate thread, as this was about automounting and XFCE and has already morphed into FreeBSD and NTFS mounts.
Old 6th December 2013
Port Guard

Thanks, I did start the new thread. With screenshots attached (thanks to virtualbox, though the original problem also occurred on my desktop machine)
Old 6th December 2013
Arp Constable

If you have a local network you can use either nfs or ftp/sftp to migrate files once you get an OpenBSD desktop working to your satisfaction.
Old 17th December 2013
More noise than signal

This is a current discussion thread on the OpenBSD misc@ mailing list regarding ext2/ext3 use which may be helpful.

http://marc.info/?t=138723433600002&r=1&w=2