Off-Topic Everything else.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2008
Port Guard

Default motivations of bsd licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
This is in NO WAY an abuse of the BSD license. Indeed, it is the very idea of the BSD license. People develop under it to get their code used, and not to protect it behind some GNU nonsense.

One can argue that it would be "nice" to get more back (and that is mainly cash), but that is not the goal or the point. The point is to make good code that is used widely.

So there are no actions for which "they" can be held accountable.

Please set this idea aside.
this thread split as reqested by jggimi from http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1545

perhaps i do not understand the bsd philosophy. i am actually an outsider commenting on a situation i don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
There is nothing legally wrong with a company making billions of euros or dollars using BSD or ISC licensed software, as long as the license is adhered to. Without giving back anything to anyone. Some few do, most don't. But the freedoms granted by the license are just that ... freedoms.
thats fine and i have no problem with anybody making money, i think what i misunderstand was the intentions of bsd. i think now they seem to be code for the sake of code, not code for the sake of a community, or a chance to give without expecting to receive.

if that is your true philosophy, then there is no room for any bitterness about adobe not making flash available on the bsd desktop in light of adobe's use of bsd code.

i am also not saying this to begin an argument, but to better understand your philosophy.

anyone care to chat about the philosophy behind bsd?

Last edited by uptonm; 25th July 2011 at 07:53 PM.