DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2009
Banned

Default Marshall Kirk McKusick on bsdtalk, DCBSDCon.

Marshall Kirk McKusick of early BSD fame talked at DCBSDCon recently, this happens to be the guy who worked on the early BSD releases (..at Berkeley).

His talk is available for download on bsdtalk, it's a very good listen.. he talks briefly about the work he did, the file system.. the virtual memory subsystem, but mostly it's about the early days at Berkeley.

So go listen.. why are you still reading?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2009
BSD gamer

I've listened to this one at least twice since it became available; a very good listen, indeed. It has made me seriously consider buying the video history from www.mckusick.com (not that I wasn't interested before).

I'm only surprised that there aren't more DCBSDcon recordings on bsdtalk or youtube/bsdconferences.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th February 2009
Arp Constable

After hearing bsdtalk, I think I'd buy the video if I had the cash to spare...

Very worth while for anyone that likes history. I especially enjoyed the comment about him, Bill Joy, and C-Shell :-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2009
Port Guard

I bought the BSD history video last year and I enjoyed every minute of it! Probably my best "geek" video..

You get this 2.5 hours talk from Dr McKusick, with his personal account of the BSD history. His talk follows his paper in DiBona book (twenty years of Berkeley Unix).

And yes, I really enjoy his comments about working with Bill Joy ("hack hack hack hack"..) and his personal recollection of the AT&T lawsuit.

As an extra, I got his personal signature on the package (for the custum declaration since I'm living in Canada)..

Man, I'm really a fan!

Last edited by hansivers; 18th February 2009 at 09:45 PM.