DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Nice try but no banana. You're heading down the wrong path totally Chuck (& I think you know that, very ignoble of you). Truth is: I'm very much to the left, dont watch FOX, yadda-yadda-yadda... do you see what you're doing? Listen...

I posted a clip about people working together, an allegory for open source. You jumped in with the bad attitude. In fact, its still bad. Your assessment of me, of the clip, is wrong. I'm not referring to your added opinions outside the realm of the clip, I'm referring to your posture of feigned authority. Not gonna work here. What gives? Can you not pull your head out? You've done nothing but criticize, well everything... Why in the world cant you find something nice to say? I'm pointing out the incredible hebetude on *your* part. You've jumped in from square one bad mouthing everything. Virtually every statement is negative. Certainly decorum dictates that you & attempt civility, but to man - you would not talk to me like that in person, I wouldn't stand for it. I think it best at this point we stay out of one another's way, else I'll likely say something that would get on the admins short list.

> Perhaps you should learn some social theory.

Perhaps. And you?
Marveled user

Please guys, come on, don't be rude !

And if you really wanna discuss your points of view, maybe you could use PM instead of debating here...
Fdisk Soldier

My apologies for the distrubance LeFrettchen =) Think it best I remove myself. Best to one & all.
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Sanders View Post
Nice try but no banana. You're heading down the wrong path totally Chuck (& I think you know that, very ignoble of you).
C'mon Mike, we both know you know my real name. But I'm very flattered to compared to Beastie (even if his name ultimately isn't Chuck).

Quote:
Truth is: I'm very much to the left, dont watch FOX, yadda-yadda-yadda... do you see what you're doing? Listen...
You should. One of the best ways to learn what you are for is to understand what you are for not.

Quote:
I posted a clip about people working together, an allegory for open source.
And I responded by pointing out that it's a poor understanding of labor and structures. That's also a criticism of Open Source and one that I routinely make.

Quote:
You jumped in with the bad attitude. In fact, its still bad.
That appears to be conjecture. Responding to a piece with criticism is not the sign of a bad attitude.

Quote:
Your assessment of me, of the clip, is wrong.
I could, for obvious reasons, only be willing to agree to the former. But I have no evidence that would entail changing my opinion.

Quote:
I'm not referring to your added opinions outside the realm of the clip, I'm referring to your posture of feigned authority. Not gonna work here.
This is devoid of meaning. Critique and argument is built upon bringing in the thoughts and arguments of others. If not, we're just talking about our feels. Which could be fine, but not if one wants to advance an argument or point out why an argument put forward is bad.

Quote:
What gives? Can you not pull your head out? You've done nothing but criticize, well everything... Why in the world cant you find something nice to say?
Only one who has not been reading, or cannot understand, could make such a claim.

Quote:
I'm pointing out the incredible hebetude on *your* part.
That word does not mean what you think it means, judging by the remainder of the paragraph.

Quote:
You've jumped in from square one bad mouthing everything. Virtually every statement is negative.
Dangerous ideas need to be identified as such. If that's your definition of negative then there is nothing much anyone can do for you.

Quote:
Certainly decorum dictates that you & attempt civility, but to man - you would not talk to me like that in person, I wouldn't stand for it.
Of course I would talk to you like that in person. Why would you think otherwise? Part of this bit is literally the opening line of Urban Dictionary's "Internet Tough Guy" example text. (Won't link here because it's NSFW.)

Quote:
I think it best at this point we stay out of one another's way, else I'll likely say something that would get on the admins short list.
This is an odd statement. "Stay away from me or I'll get myself in trouble."

Quote:
> Perhaps you should learn some social theory.

Perhaps. And you?
I am! It is quite literally my job. Right now I'm reading The Whale and the Reactor: A Search for Limits in an Age of High Technology. It seems almost silly, since Winner is a professor in my department but it is quite good to read the whole book and not just the famous article Do Artifacts Have Politics? which is the second chapter of the book.
Old 3rd July 2015
Administrator

I'm closing this thread.

Civil discourse allows diverse opinions to exist, & this thread hasn't exhibited this civility. Paul Graham categorized disagreement into a hierarchy:

http://www.paulgraham.com/disagree.html

...which begs the question as to where on the spectrum do any of us really reside, & where should we reside?

This is a homework assignment. Mastery may make you a better person. As a bare minimum, you may become better at articulating your own opinion.

Last edited by ocicat; 3rd July 2015 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Closed Thread