DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Port Guard

Thumbs up Nvidia nForce MCP77 network adapter issue : RESOLVED

I have installed Freebsd 7.0 Stable ( amd64 ) on a laptop.
its configuration :

Model : Compaq Cq60
Chipset : Nvidia nForce MCP77
Processor : AMD64 X2 Dual Core.

I have tried a number of things to get this network interface working but no luck.

Here's what I have tried :
  • According to this page the nfe driver is present in the default 7.0 kernel.
  • My kldstat does not show if_nfe however...
  • So I do kldload if_nfe ..it says cannot load mii_bus and if_nfe ...already present!
  • So I add if_nfe_load="YES" in loader.conf and reboot...still it shows same message at bot time...
  • But now kldstat shows if_nfe loaded.
  • Now I tried ifconfig - a...nothing ..only loopback device lo0...BTW it was showing the same thing before trying all this if_nfe loading/unloading.
  • Then I tried to see if sysinstall detected this interface...nothing...not showing up there also.
  • Now I did dmesg | more to see if anything was detected at all at boot time....nothing!...it detects other devices like ATA controller and UDMA controller and USB hubs on same MCP77 chipset.
  • Finally , I took a look at the source for the driver if_nfe.c and if_nfereg.h in /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe ... it seems the defines for MCP77 are not included in the files. ... this page suggest adding lines for MCP77 after MCP73 lines. But even those are not present in the sources. Further ... thispage gives source for 7.1 PRERELEASE which DOES contain the lines for MCP77.

Now what options do I have? Do I HAVE to change the source files and recompile and load the modules? Am I doing ANYTHING wrong so that this can be solved without changes to source?... ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by padmanabh; 17th January 2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added RESOLVED in the title
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

kldstat only shows loaded modules, not ones built in the kernel, use kldstat -vto show all modules, i.e.:

% kldstat -v | grep nfe
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Port Guard

It does have the module present in the kernel. I figured that after looking at the GENERIC kerenl config file. But I gave it a shot anyway. So what is the solution?

Why is the network interface not getting detected.

A Little Correction ... I am using the 7.0 RELEASE ...and its sources only have lines upto MCP67 for nForce chipset.

If suppose those are the sources used to compile the RELEASE. so I guess lines for MCP 77 are not there in the source and so ....that is why the devices are not getting detected?

Any option to update the nfe driver ? ...obviously I cannot use the internet here.... I CAN boot into Windows and download something there and mount it from BSD and copy it ... ...anything...just let me know.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

You could try getting the sources for the newer nfe driver and compiling it on your 7.0 RELEASE system, it will probably work, but there are no guarantees and it's unsupported.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

If this is a Marvell chipset, check out all the posts related to their cruddy business practices towards the BSD community on the questions list of late...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2009
Port Guard

This issue is RESOLVED.
Just installed FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE...and as I had mentioned, the lines for my network card were present in 7.1 PRE-RELEASE source...so I had a hunch It would work.
7.1 Auto detected my card during install ...and infact I finished the whole install on FTP since the CD drive started giving the nasty READ_BIG error.

So No more Network Card Problems....