DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
New User

Default [openBSD4.5] Not able to boot on Notebook

Hello@all,

Problem - System Hangup while Booting:
I finished the installation process successfully and want to start my operating system after waiting 3 seconds for boot.

What I got is only:
Code:
Using drive 0, partition 3.
Loading ...
probing: pc0 mem [631K 1918M a20=on]
disk: hd0+
>> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.01
boot>
booting hd0a:/bsd: 4785228

#SYSTEM HANGS HERE
My Notebook:
I got a dv6000 notebook by HP (AMD64).

What I did so far:
I installed 4.5 in using the install45.iso CD with an AMD64 Version, with X and all packages and configured the network successfully (during installation).
I also tried to solve the hang up problem in using "boot -c" but my system hangs again with same error.

What I could imagine myself is that there could be a problem with acpi (had this with several older kernels in debian etch) with the same notebook.

Thanks for your help.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
More noise than signal

Welcome to DaemonForums!

Normally, one would used "boot -c" to disable ACPI prior to kernel probes; it looks like, for some reason, the kernel isn't even getting far enough to do that.

Some things to try, knowing none may work:
  1. booting the MP kernel
  2. disabling ACPI in /bsd and /bsd.mp kernel while running from the ramdisk kernel, then trying both again.
  3. trying a recent snapshot.
To do #2, here are step-by-step instructions. Assuming wd0a is your root partition, and wd0d is your /usr partition. Adjust accordingly. The config program resides in /usr/sbin, and it uses dynamic libraries reside in /usr/lib and /usr/libexec. You'll engage the program via a chroot(8) shell, which will make the /mnt directory "/" until you exit.

Boot bsd.rd (or the install cd), select the shell, then:

# mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
# mount /dev/wd0d /mnt/usr
# /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt ksh
# config -ef /bsd
# config -ef /bsd.mp
# exit

From config's ukc> prompts: use "disable acpi" then "quit" to disable acpi in the UP and MP kernels.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
New User

Hello jggimi and thanx for ur reply.

I try to test your suggestions within the next hours/days, depends on how much of free time I got.

Further Information:

Sometimes (I cannot really tell u why), I can start with using "boot -c", but this doesn't happen very often.
I would say if it works, I will have to wait 10 seconds (not sure if this does really matter) and it will start boot -c (but it will hang up directly when I'm able to see "UKC>" where I normaly can disable acpi *not fine - hehe*).

If this works, the system will hangs up and does cold reboot.
Other times booting without giving any parameters to "boot", the system automatically reboot after:

Code:
boot>
booting hd0a:/bsd: 4785228
or hangs up itself.

With mp and the other kernels it's the same.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
New User

Ok, I did it,
but nothing changes.

The system halts / or reboots (randomly).
But what's about apm? Isn't it true that acpi moves to apm? That means that I have to deactivate apm, or not?

I try to get closer to the problem in analysing the system after installation, cause the installation kernel works and during installation the system works fine.

Any further ideas to find this stupid bug?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Banned

Hi,

Because the kernel isn't being loaded, the problem is probably not related to ACPI or APM.. but that also means it'll be hard to figure out why it's crashing like that.

My first impulse would be to check if the system has defective memory, via memtest86+ or similar.. my second would be to try using the i386 port of OpenBSD instead of amd64, you won't get the added benefits of a 64-bit operating system.. but you'll at least get a platform where you could offer developers access to try to find the cause of the hangup on amd64.

Very few developers hang out here, so you should really file a bug report and/or post on the mailing lists detailing what you've tried and the symptoms of the bug.. this is pretty much all the advice we can offer you at the moment.

Mailing list archives:
http://marc.info/

Filing a bug report:
http://www.openbsd.org/report.html

Mailing lists & posting requirements:
http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

Memtest86+:
http://www.memtest.org/

Hope that helps.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by openBSD-Boy View Post
But what's about apm? Isn't it true that acpi moves to apm? That means that I have to deactivate apm, or not?
The GENERIC kernels will test for the presence of APM, first. If the computer has APM, then apm(4) will be used, and acpi(4) will not be used. To force a computer that has both APM and APCI to use APCI, you must disable apm(4) in the kernel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Because the kernel isn't being loaded, the problem is probably not related to ACPI or APM..
I think so, too.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The GENERIC kernels will test for the presence of APM, first. If the computer has APM, then apm(4) will be used, and acpi(4) will not be used. To force a computer that has both APM and APCI to use APCI, you must disable apm(4) in the kernel.
4.5 actually has some additional heuristics, the decision to use ACPI vs APM is a little more complex.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=123972939300807&w=2

What that involves is beyond me, but it's not perfect.. but this is off topic, we both agree this users issue is unlikely to be related.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
New User

openBSD 4.5 with i386 brings up exactly the same error.

Last edited by openBSD-Boy; 3rd May 2009 at 09:07 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Banned

What mirror are you using? perhaps the files you're using are corrupt?
Old 4th May 2009
New User

I used several servers for downloading the install45 files.
with 4.4 I had the same problem.

Yesterday I got a stack error message after some reboots. Very mysterious. Sometimes I can boot with -c sometimes not, sometimes I receive one line of output, sometimes it's a reboot and other times its a long stack and memory output with several assembly codes. Seems strange to me this bug.
Old 4th May 2009
More noise than signal

This "sounds" like hardware to me. Software problems will usually show the same error consistently, rather then presenting different results each time.
Old 4th May 2009
New User

I'll totally agree with you, but what could this be?

Every other system works fine. I installed Vista, XP, later Debian (4.0) and since Lenny was released I used (5.0). No errors/hang ups at all.

I had a rather similar problem with Debian 4.0 in the past with a kernel 2.6.17 (hope I remember myself right) or smaller. Up to this kernel I had to use acpi=off noacpi to protect myself of hanging up/reboot the system.
With a newer Kernel, this problem went away.

Now with openBSD, it seems for me to look like the same problem, but I deactivated acpi in the kernel and also experimented due to your suggestions with the kernel conifgurations. Nothing changed. So I have to move on with my bug search.

Is it possible to use another kernel instead of the given ones that came with install45.img?
Old 4th May 2009
More noise than signal

There are many different models of the DV6000; the only one ever discussed on the OpenBSD misc@ mailing list was a Core 2 Duo, not an Athlon as you have.

I would save a dmesg from a working ramdisk kernel, and place it in-line in an e-mail to the misc@ mailing list along with a brief problem description.

Before posting to misc@, see:

"How to create a problem report" in www.openbsd.org/report.html
The "Netiquette" section of www.openbsd.org/mail.html