DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th April 2009
Port Guard

Default Xorg 7.3 -> 7.4 config problems

I'm having a bit of trouble getting xorg 7.4 going under FreeBSD 7. Video chipset is Radeon X800 (R430); card has one DVI out (which I'm using) and one VGA out. I can't seem to get any sort of display. Running 'X' switches to the new VTY, but nothing else happens--just a blank screen with only my LCD backlight. I don't need to use the <ctrl> key to switch to a console VTY, just <alt><Fx>, which struck me as odd and makes me think that something else "important" isn't happening.

My xorg.conf was auto-generated by 'X -configure'. I couldn't find anything relevant by googling. I did find in xorg.conf(5) a reference to Option "Monitor-<input>", so I added
Code:
Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "Monitor0"
and that seemed to help with what was being reported in Xorg.0.log about the DVI not being connected to an output, but I still don't have any practical improvement. I also tried disconnecting DVI (and removing 'Option "Monitor-DVI-0"'), hooking up VGA, and rebooting, but that's the same, just the LCD backlight.

Config and log are at http://web.mr-happy.com/xorg-7.4-200904/ . I'm grateful for any help.

Jeff

Last edited by jbhappy; 27th April 2009 at 05:35 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th April 2009
Spam Deminer

in one or both of the following two places someone has posted
a working xorg.conf that would help
the freebsd questions list
the forums at freebsd.org
Otherwise, the latter has long threads helping with xorg.
Cannot guess as to which would be quicker.
What I have done in the past is google for the specific chipset
"x800 OR R430" xorg.conf "xorg 7.4"
to obtain samples
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th April 2009
Port Guard

compiling it without HAL support made everything work for me.
i didnt do "X -configure", after compiling i just ran startx and everything was working perfectly.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2009
Port Guard

No luck. Tried the googling, built xorg without hal support, still nothing but a blank screen. I grabbed the output of 'xrandr -q --verbose' in case that means anything to anyone:
http://web.mr-happy.com/xorg-7.4-200...andr-q-verbose

I dunno. I'll keep looking, but I might end up having to roll my ports tree back to pre-7.4. Bah.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th April 2009
Port Guard

oh, man, I feel like such a tool. I think everything was working ok--it appears that xorg just changed its look a little. When I run 'X' with no arguments, I expect the irritating black-and-white background. apparently it's just a black background now. the lack of mouse pointer did throw me off, but I noticed that it appeared after I ran 'DISPLAY=:0 xrandr -q' from a console shell. tried xdm, and that worked fine.

sigh...