DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2018
Shell Scout

Default OpenBSD quit booting

As the tile says. This is OpneBSD 6.3. The screen shows:
Code:
Loading . . . . . .
probing: pc0 mem[630k 3061M 1024M a20=on]
disk: hd0+
>> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.34
boot>
booting hda0:/bsd [several numbers separated by + I cannot read so quickly]
entry point at 0x1000158
There was no unclean shutdown, power failure, or any other unusual condition that I could observe. There is also no problem with the single hard drive.

I can boot /bsd.rd

Any help would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited by ocicat; 24th May 2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Please use [code] & [/code] tags when posting console output.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2018
parrot

Quote:
I can boot /bsd.rd
Then can you get a compete 'dmesg' report and paste it into code boxes here ?
There really is not enough details to guess at this.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
More noise than signal

The symptom you are showing is a failure of a GENERIC or GENERIC.MP kernel to boot, cause unknown. Since you can boot /bsd.rd, then it is possible you may be able circumvent the problem and recover.

If your /bsd image is the GENERIC.MP kernel, then there should be a uniprocessor GENERIC kernel file installed in your root directory, named /bsd.sp. If so, try booting it, and see if you get the same symptom, or if you are able to boot without error.

If you are able to run the /bsd.sp uniprocessor kernel but not the multiprocessor kernel, then perhaps the /bsd kernel file is to blame. OpenBSD re-links and replaces this kernel file each and every boot sequence. The prior kernel will be stored in /bsd.booted.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
More noise than signal

Posting a follow-up to be sure these are conducted in the least disruptive order.
  1. Attempt to boot the /bsd.booted kernel. If this successfully boots, then you will know that there is an error in the /bsd kernel file. The kernel rebuild process should successfully recreate a /bsd kernel file, and this should resolve the problem.
  2. If the /bsd.booted kernel does not boot, THEN try the /bsd.sp kernel file if your computer has multiple cores or multiple threads. This is the uniprocessor kernel, as noted in my first reply.
If your computer is a uniprocessor (not multi-core, not multi-thread) then the /bsd kernel file will be GENERIC instead of GENERIC.MP, and there will be a /bsd.mp file in the root directory instead of a /bsd.sp file. You may attempt to boot this /bsd.mp kernel file in the event /bsd.booted and /bsd both fail to boot.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
Shell Scout

Hi GarryR,

first, thank you for a reply. Since I can boot both /bsd.rd and /bsd.sp, see my response to jggimi below, I can certainly post the dmesg. However, before I pollute the thread, what is to be gained? Since the system boots, there should be no anomaly there, should it?

Hi jggimi,

thank you for the reply. The system does boot both /bsd.rd and /bsd.sp, but does not boot /bsd.booted and/or /bsd, with the same symptoms as described in my first post. Likewise, /bsd.mp does not boot with message: "No such file or directory". And, indeed, the file is not present, although I would think that such file should be present because the CPU is a two-core unit (T2370). Or is the /bsd really a copy of /bsd.mp?

So, what do I do now?

Kindest regards,

M
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
More noise than signal

The kernel file /bsd is the default kernel, and will either be GENERIC or GENERIC.MP, depending on the number of cpu(4) devices discovered during installation.
  • On a uniprocessor, the file /bsd is GENERIC, and the GENERIC.MP kernel is stored as /bsd.mp
  • On a multiprocessor, the file /bsd is GENERIC.MP, and the GENERIC kernel is stored in /bsd.sp
For reasons unknown, either your GENERIC.MP kernel was damaged, or, your computer is no longer physically able to boot the GENERIC.MP kernel.
Quote:
So, what do I do now?
Obtain a copy of the 6.3 GENERIC.MP kernel for your architecture, from your installation media or from a nearby mirror. If you were running 6.3-release, its kernel is available from http://<your nearby mirror>/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/<your architecture>/bsd.mp or, a recent -current kernel can be obtained from http://<your nearby mirror>/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/<your architecture>/bsd.mp.

If you copy the appropriate bsd.mp file into your root directory as /bsd, it will be the default kernel loaded at boot time.

If that GENERIC.MP kernel boots, you will know that the problem was caused by a local problem with your kernel files, and is not a problem with your hardware.

If you were running -release plus binary patches obtained through the syspatch(8) utility, I recomend reverting all patches (-R) then reinstalling them to be sure you have a correctly patched kernel.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

thank you for your help. I have downloaded the bsd.mp, then:
Code:
syspatch -R
The patches were uninstalled with a message "Relinking to create unique kernel . . . failed!" I attributed it to the problem with the kernel, so I continued:
Code:
rm bsd.booted
rm bsd
mv bsd.mp bsd
I shut down the machine and upon restart, the machine booted. Thus:
Code:
syspatch
The patches were installed with a message "Relinking to create unique kernel . . . failed!" Now, I could not ignore it, and eventually found that the relink.log complains of nonexistent kernel.SHA256, which was partially true because the /var/db contains a file kernel.SHA256 with 0 size.

I cannot find any source how to re-create the file. Any more help, please?

Kindest regards,

M
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
Shell Scout

O.K., I am officially an idiot:
Code:
sha256 -h /var/db/kernel.SHA256 /bsd
Thank you very much jggimi, you are awesome.

There is still a question - is there a way to find out what caused the problem?

Kindest regards,

M
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2018
More noise than signal

I would not consider you an idiot. Kernel relinking failed at some point. You might find an indication of the cause in /var/log/messages*.
Old 25th May 2018
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

The idiot comment was in regards to the kernel.SHA256 issue. Not that there are no other reasons.

And, you are, of course, correct again. I looked through the /var/log/messages and, indeed, the re-link failure was what cause the boot to abort. The kernel.SHA256 file still existed, but was corrupted to make its size 0.

Once again, thank you.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 25th May 2018
More noise than signal

I'll guess that you may have powered down while the relinking process was still in progress. But that is not necessarily idiotic. Discovering the hash failure and recreating (or deleting) the hash file is the hallmark of an astute, self-supporting admin.

You owe yourself a beer.
Old 25th May 2018
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

Well, studying the /var/log/messages, the re-link failed, then the system issued reboot and so on. It really is a mystery.

With all due respect, I would have never figured it out without your help/hints, so if someone is owed a beer, it is you.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 25th May 2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
...I can certainly post the dmesg. However, before I pollute the thread, what is to be gained? Since the system boots, there should be no anomaly there, should it?
dmesg(8) output gives the kernel’s complete understanding of the hardware environment. From a troubleshooting standpoint, it answers many questions both circulating in people’s minds along with questions which have not occurred in anyone’s mind yet.

Many threads on these forums would be solved more quickly is the original poster would provide dmesg(8) output at the very beginning.
Old 26th May 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
... it answers many questions ...
True. I had to guess the possibility of an MP architecture, and did not know if this was -release, -release+patches, -stable, or -current.
Old 27th May 2018
Shell Scout

Hi ocicat, jggimi,

if I understand correctly, the dmesg, does not necessarily identify the problem, but provides information helpful for troubleshooting, correct?

How do you make the dmesg(8) point to the man page?

Kindest regards,

M
Old 27th May 2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
if I understand correctly, the dmesg, does not necessarily identify the problem, but provides information helpful for troubleshooting, correct?
Correct.
Quote:
How do you make the dmesg(8) point to the man page?
See the FAQ page, and look for the oman tag.
Old 28th May 2018
Shell Scout

Hi ocicat,

thank you.

Kindest regards,

M