DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2019
Fdisk Soldier

Default BEST VNC SERVER FOR OPENBSD

Hi all,

I am planning to install an OpenBSD server in a place located somewhere else to the main office, so that this server is not in the main LAN. To administrate this server from my desktop I would use something like anydesk or team viewer... after looking for information, I found out probably the best is to install and setup X11VNC server, that seems a little bit difficult... is there any alternative to make this easier? I could also use ssh instead, nor necessary remote desktop since all the maintenance tasks can be made using the cli.

Thanks and best
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2019
More noise than signal

Have you considered OpenSSH instead of VNC? It's the technology most BSD administrators use for remote administration, and is an OpenBSD-developed technology.

You may have noticed that the OpenBSD installer asks if you'd like sshd(8) started automatically on install. If you selected "No" you can enable and start it with:
Code:
# rcctl enable sshd
# rcctl start sshd
See the ssh(1) man page to get started. Additional information can be found at www.openssh.org
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2019
Fdisk Soldier

thanks for the reply. I use and understand how ssh works but the problem is that the remote server in nor in the same place neither in the same network (it's placed far away) and moreover, it has a dynamic ip, not a fixed one. How can I access to this server using ssh then?

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2019
More noise than signal

I can think of three mechanisms that could be used to establish an SSH connection when the remote IP address is subject to change.
  1. Use a dynamic DNS service for the remote site, in combination with a notification script such as net/ddclient.
  2. Use a multicast vxlan(4) tunnel. This will require intermediate multicast routers.
  3. Pre-establish a reverse SSH tunnel from the remote site to the client with ssh(1) -R. This will require restarting whenever there is a change in IP address or a change in state on the client system, perhaps through ifstated(8).