DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th January 2016
Spam Deminer

Default "Post your sendmail SMART_HOST usage and guide if possible"

I had one working back a few years ago... the ISP changed hands (it was the dialup era). I've guides saved as .htm, several books with a page or two, but meanwhile, given incompleteness as to the entire picture, not to mention ease of use, maybe someone or two ( from here, FreeBSD specific) can by posting relevant information(s) save one (myself to start) hours and hours of time.
For instance, I recently purchased a 'small mailbox'. The guide to set it up with sendmail is nowhere to be found, and the one for Thunderbird is for the Windows dialogs and are not useful for FreeBSD's Thunderbird... without a whole lot of
experimentation. And it appears the company also changed hands, (as well as
the dialup referenced above), so the staffing dedicated to resolving the issue is
apparently not in the budget, not being Wiindows/Mac/Android centric.

Not that it is urgent in the webmail era, but still...

Sorry to report I am unable to post anything. I've at present 31 .htm in
/etc/mail waiting for a clue as to which way to proceed next... and am out of
time (for this year maybe)...

/edit/ Seems like the below might work for sendmail... untested as of yet

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...mail-on-ubuntu

Last edited by jb_daefo; 15th January 2016 at 01:26 AM. Reason: found a sendmail discussion relevant
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th January 2016
Spam Deminer

Not to go off-topic, but it was suggested that redhat and/or CentOS had good documentation, with a link, in the FreeBSD forums. A search on that link for Smart_Host turned up three pages of solutions... it turns out that a subscription is required to read the solutions. Maybe someone would know if said subscription is worth the cost, its cost, etc...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th January 2016
More noise than signal

I'm not clear on why sendmail is a required MTA, and wonder why you are not implementing an alternative. Any functional alternative. Based on your comments in this thread and the feedback you received in your other thread on the same subject...
  • You cannot obtain sufficient guidance or documentation for provisioning sendmail for your requirements.
  • What little guidance that was provided in your other thread came from me, but was apparently insufficient.
  • All OSes that have (or used to have) sendmail as their default MTA have provisioning widgets to deploy alternatives. FreeBSD included.
As an example, here's an OpenSMTPd configuration file for a smart host that uses TLS to encrypt traffic, extracted from the first example in the smtpd.conf(5) man page:
Code:
listen on lo0 
table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases 
table secrets file:/etc/mail/secrets 
accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox 
accept for any relay via tls+auth://label@smtp.example.com \ 
	auth <secrets>
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th January 2016
Spam Deminer

I was about to delete the second post ( my ignorance was lessened by another web search since I posted it ) when I read your third post. It puts into place another piece of the puzzle (an smtp...com to relay to is preferred ).
So now instead of 31 .htm saved, I've about 40 .htm saved... and more chance of success with making sendmails's Smart Host working.
Or using openSMTPd, or ssmpt, or postfix... eventually.
OTOH another alternative would have been to just count on buying more books... then
writing the answers into the thread when/if I've more time...

Again, thanks for the reply.
/edit/ I updated the first post with an informative link.... /edit/

Last edited by jb_daefo; 15th January 2016 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Found a stackoverflow smarthost discussion
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2016
Spam Deminer

Okay, next question...
Having EVEN-MORE .htm saved (mc_editing-then-cf_howto-REF.htm)(1) for example, ...
What if anyone knows, is the "flowchart" between...
freebsd.cf
freebsd.submit.cf
sendmail.cf
[hostnameasinRC-CONF].cf
[hostnameasinRC-CONF].submit.cf
[hostnameasinRC-CONF].mc
freebsd.submit.mc
freebsd.mc
[hostnameasinRC-CONF].submit.mc
Particularly in regards to
"editing an .mc file for SMART_HOST" then
"make all install restart"...

The linux guides mostly mention changes to the .mc file... but
WHICH mc file???? It seems FreeBSD is missing an 'extra'
bit of documentation, or something critical to managing a FreeBSD
sendmail installation I am not aware of by ignorance...

(1) from linux.com I think... searching on 'sendmail...'
Bonus Points for making *this* post unneccesary by updating the handbook...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2016
More noise than signal

Each .mc file is compiled into a configuration file usable by sendmail. (The editable .mc files are nearly as unreadable to humans as the resulting .cf files, but sendmail cannot read .mc files directly.)

I don't know what FreeBSD has, but OpenBSD had a selection of distinct, separate .mc template files. You would pick one to use, and then adapt to your needs, then make(1) a single .cf file from it for use with sendmail.

Sendmail is one of those applications which has both an open-source community that supports the application and a commercial company that offers commercial products and commercial support. As you seem to be locked into sendmail, please consider engaging one, or the other.
I have not used sendmail in many years, and hated its insane provisioning structure when I was a user. Unfortunately I cannot come to your rescue, as I don't use the software and have never used your OS, and what little I've told you about sendmail hasn't seemed to address your needs, or get you to move to something else. Anything else.

Last edited by jggimi; 15th January 2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: clarity
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2016
Administrator

See https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mail.html for a detailed description of sendmail and how to run it with FreeBSD
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th January 2016
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
See https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mail.html for a detailed description of sendmail and how to run it with FreeBSD
Ah. Skipping past the initial sendmail and replace-sendmail-with-ssmpt parts of that chapter, in 27.9 it details a procedure that if written from the 27.9, backwards (onto paper as a draft), THEN following the on-paper procedure, could be an answer to the
sendmail SMART_HOST problem...