DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th December 2014
Spam Deminer

Default troff and tbl vertically spanning rows

Code:
.TS
allbox,tab(#);
cB cB cB.
component#type#metric
.T&
l l lw(6.5i) .
T{
Kernel
.br
mutex
T}#\^utilization#T{
CONFIG_LOCK_STATS=y, /proc/lock_stat "holdtime-total" / "acquisitions" (also see holdtime-min",
.br
time-max") [8]; dynamic tracing of lock functions or instructions
T}
.T&
l l lw(6.5i) .
T{
Kernel
.br
mutex
T}#\^saturation#T{
With CONFIG_LOCK_STATS=y, /proc/lock_stat "waittime-total" / "contentions" (also see "waittime-min",
.br
profiling(perf record -a -g -F 997 ...,oprofile,dynamic tracing)
T}
.TE
The above code almost works. Except the "type" column with utilization and saturation I want to be vertically spanned, which should be done with \^, however, it is placing it at the top of the two instead of halfway between kernel mutex.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th December 2014
Administrator

It has been a long time, since I played with that

A HTML version of the official docs for tbl can be found at http://www.snake.net/software/troffcvt/tbl.html. The Bell Plan 9 site with the PDF times out on me.

The "Composition of Foods" example table in that document shows "Food" as being vertically spanned.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Tcpdump Spy

I know that DrJ knows all sorts of troff tricks ... I haven't seen him around in a while, but if you haven't solved it yet, you could try sending him a PM pointing him here,,,
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I know that DrJ knows all sorts of troff tricks ... I haven't seen him around in a while, but if you haven't solved it yet, you could try sending him a PM pointing him here,,,
+1 Dr. is a true Troff guru! I was wondering what is going on with him but seeing that his last activity is 20th October 2014 makes me think he is just too busy with grand kids I wish him and his family the best in the New Year.

Last edited by Oko; 15th May 2015 at 06:32 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Wow, yeah, I just realized I haven't heard from him in awhile either. He and I sometimes get on corresponding binges, so I'll send him an email and let him know we miss him.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2015
ISO Quartermaster

I just received scottro's email inquiring whether I was alive. Sadly, he sent it to an address that I don't check very often, and I did today.

I do stop by on occasion, and yes, I still use FreeBSD a lot. I have three FreeBSD servers that run in VMs, but once I get them working I leave them alone until I upgrade. Then I do a fresh install and copy over the user files.

Yes, I now have three grandkids and one great grandkid (!). But most of my time is spent running my business (a life sciences tools company). There is an incredible amount of overhead that goes into government grants administration, and that's where the majority of my money comes from.

Thanks for the compliment on my troff knowledge, but really I'm just a skilled user. I'll have a look at the code, if it still is relevant, to see if I can find a problem.

If you really want skilled troff people, go to the groff mailing list. There are people there who are really, really good. I'm working with the writer of the -mom macros to allow text to flow around equations, tables and figures. It is a capability of nearly every text formatter and word processor, but it never has been included into any of the troff macro packages. Personally I need that because the proposals I submit have strict page limits, and I can't afford to waste space every time I have to include a figure.

I'll stop by more often. Promise!