DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Default Span backups

Many of you know me as an OpenBSD user but the problem I am trying to solve is not unique to OpenBSD. Namely over the years I aggregated about 50-60 GB of pictures and videos of my kids and family which is the most valuable data I have on my computers. I used to backup that videos periodically by burning additional DVDs once I accumulate another 4.xxx GB of data or whatever it can be burned on the typical DVD and send it to multiple family members/grant parents so that in the case of disaster I can recover. At this point I would like to have a script which will automatically split 60 GB of data into the chunks appropriate for writing on DVDs which I will store in safe deposit box. I am familiar
Code:
split
. However I would like to do this splitting and writing on the fly without the need for additional HDD to store those chunks. I also know that our own jggimi asked similar question on misc@openbsd circa 2004 when he wanted to write dumps across many DVDs. Could people kindly share their expertise in this domain. I am also open for other suggestion for permanently archiving my photos.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2015
More noise than signal

You may want to look into sysutils/shunt, which I used to use for this purpose. You can contact its $MAINTAINER if you have any questions.

I haven't used optical media for backup in a very long time, and these days, my critical data is backed up commercially via sysutils/tarsnap.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
You may want to look into sysutils/shunt, which I used to use for this purpose. You can contact its $MAINTAINER if you have any questions.
That worked as a charm. Maintainer was extremely responsive . I would like to worn people against blindly cutting and pasting commands from the package website

http://www.serice.net/shunt/

as they are written for Linux. Tar is actually gtar and cpio have Linux specific options. I have not played enough with pax.