DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Default Secure Remote Access to an Internal Web Server

I just spent 12 hours trying unsuccessfully implement my solution for securing remote access to one of our internal web servers. I am soliciting ideas how to do it as I missed the deadline anyway so at least I want to get things right.

My starting point was assumption (possibly wrong) that the only way to give secure remote access to our internal server was using VPN. Namely my idea was to have Windows client connect to one of my firewalls using L2PT and there buy gain the access to my internal Web Server on the different subnet. As picture shows.

-------- > VPN 10.9.0.0/24 ------->
| |
Windows Client ----> Internet 76.53.145.15 ----> OpenBSD firewall/L2PT ------> 192.168.1.0/24 Web Server

I got L2PT server working on OpenBSD using npppd and ipsec in no time. Windows 7 has no problem to connect to it in secure fashion.

Relevant ipsec.conf file

Code:
ike passive esp transport \
        proto udp from $external_ip to any port 1701 \
        main auth "hmac-sha1" enc "aes" group modp2048 \
        quick auth "hmac-sha1" enc "3des" \
        psk "secret_key"
I have two new interfaces tun0 and enc0. I appended pf.conf file with the following
Code:
pass quick proto { esp, ah } from any to any
pass in quick on egress proto udp from any to any port {500, 4500, 1701} keep state
pass on enc0 from any to any keep state (if-bound)

pass quick on $vpn_if
where vpn_if="tun0"

without the last rule which I have not seen in any of L2PT howtos on the Internet I could not get VPN client to be able to see Internet or use Unbound resolver on my firewall.

It looks like the problem is that L2TP VPN is not able push route configuration for client during connected to my private network 192.168.1.0/24 as I can't ping my web server from Windows machine. I played with rdr traffic from $vpn_if to the private address but it doesn't work.

This setup is trivial with OpenVPN and I am running something similar internally but installing certificate on Window is a customer service nightmare for a guy like me so I thought I bypass the nonsense using Windows friendly VPN solution.

Any thought, comments, rude remarks? I am open for any suggestion short of compromising the security of the setup. This post seems to be on something but I am too tired to make something out of it.

http://serverfault.com/questions/574...ent-during-con

Cheers,
Oko

BTW I will post complete configuration files for L2PT on misc once I am done with this nonsense. The answers I received on the question I posted few days ago were very good.

Last edited by Oko; 1st April 2015 at 02:53 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

If you hadn't mentioned client certificates specifically, I'd suggest perhaps a rdr-to an internal nginx reverse proxy that does client SSL certificate verification.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
If you hadn't mentioned client certificates specifically, I'd suggest perhaps a rdr-to an internal nginx reverse proxy that does client SSL certificate verification.
If I understand you correctly you would just set up Nginx reverse proxy with SSL certificates and have client connect through https tunnel to the website. Correct? How would you prevent other people who know the ip address of your Ngingx proxy to see the web site. Have them use some kind login interface for nginx?

I specifically want people to have to log into our network before they can access the content of the web server through an encrypted tunnel.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
More noise than signal

I run two private websites with public facing addresses. Client certificates are required to obtain any communication at all. One of the two applications also requires userid/pw for additional authentication.

Last edited by jggimi; 1st April 2015 at 03:56 AM. Reason: auto correct typo
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Yeah, as jggimi pointed out, you would use client-side certificates (as a hard requirement, not a soft requirement) in nginx such that traffic couldn't hit the actual backend webserver until the client presented a valid signed certificate (which you could sign if you ran your own internal CA).

But like you said, distribution of the client-side certs would be a headache.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
More noise than signal

My clients are Firefox and Chrome browsers, and these both install pkcs#12 client certificates. The certs are encrypted with a pre-shared key, allowing the .p12 files to be transmitted insecurely. However, as always, the management of pre-shared keys is left to the administrator and user to deal with.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

I made more progress. I nailed down to the static routing problem on web server now. I can ping internal private interface 192.168.1.1 from Windows vpn 10.0.0.2 but not further into internal network (I can't ping
192.168.1.2 web server). It took adding static routes to Window laptop even for that.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

I got things to work as originally designed. Thanks to everyone who helped. I will post howto here and on misc over the weekend. I am still have few deadlines to beat.

BTW OpenBSD IPsec stack and npppd are true gems comparing with other "user friendly" OS implementations.