DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2018
New User

Default Consistant panic on boot after install of 6.3

This is probably going to come across as a fairly useless request for help, but I cound't find any answer anywhere, so I figured I'd ask anyway.

I installed OpenBSD for the first time a few days ago and have, to date, not been able to get it to boot. At all. It's rather strange. I have gotten FreeBSD and Dragonfly to work without much trouble, and I use Gentoo Linux as my daily OS, so I'm not completely oblivious to Unix, but it I don't quite understand what I'm doing wrong here. A big part of the problem, and of why I'm worried this post wont be helpful, is that the kernel panics so quickly after boot that it doesn't even load they keyboard driver. I can't even scroll up to read the dump info.

I installed it 4 separate times to try to resolve any obvious problems. I formatted the disk several different ways, including simply allowing the installer to make all the partitions it recommended (with the standard 4.2BSD fs), and I tried installing with both a GPT and msdos style bootloader. Nothing works.

If installed with GPT and booted straight from the BIOS screen, bypassing grub, the basic loader screen does come up, but the moment it tries to boot the kernel it panics. Grub also refuses to chainload the OS. It did actually try it a few times, after which it didn't even panic, the computer just gave up and did a hard reset (rarely a good thing). Loading the kernel directly leads straight to a coredump.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. I tried installing the thing in a virtual machine and everything worked just fine. I have no idea what the problem here is. It seems possible that it could have something to do with mounting the root partition (maybe?), but I couldn't fathom why. fstab is set up just fine. Like I said, I also don't really know what to offer here in terms of diagnostics. I can't really get at any.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2018
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

I recommend avoid trying to multiboot, to eliminate that as any sort of problem source or complication. Install to a separate drive -- you can even install onto a USB memory stick, and boot that instead of your workstation's default drive. OpenBSD 6.2 (and the latest release, 6.3) support EFI booting and GPT partitioning, as well as MBR booting. But GPT multibooting is not supported.

From your description, it appears that on at least one occasion, you've been able to successfully get the bootloader to boot, but not get the bootloader to successfully load a GENERIC kernel. You have successfully booted and loaded a RAMDISK kernel from installation media, but these kernels are not identical.

Edited to add: Here's a link to shep's comments regarding multiboot with GPT.

Last edited by jggimi; 1st May 2018 at 12:29 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2018
New User

Oops. The title of this post is wrong. I did in fact install 6.3, the latest release.

I tried pulling all the hard drives but one out of my machine and reinstalling the system again. It booted to the familiar simple loader again, but immediately panicked the moment the kernel started. The only semi-useful information I can glean from the 23 available lines (more wastes one...) is something about `aml_parse` and that the last instruction executed was`popq %rpb`. Not terribly useful. This install was on a normal MBR partition. Why rock the boat?

The times before that I got it to boot from the bios screen were EFI installs. I thought GPT only supported EFI? I was using the terms synonymously. In any case, it doesn't boot from a single hard drive either, so I don't think multiboot is the problem.

Maybe the computer gods just don't want this to be. I've strayed from the path of GPL righteousness and my soul is lost. Or something.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post
Oops. The title of this post is wrong. I did in fact install 6.3, the latest release.
Fixed.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post
Or something.
If you end up at a ddb> prompt, it may be possible to determine what is failing. This is ddb(4), the kernel debugger. If you don't arrive at that, then it is unlikely we will be able to help directly.

If you're getting a ddb> prompt, these two man pages may help:

and
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2018
More noise than signal

Hmmm. There's an "aml_parse" and "aml_die" issue that was just reported to the misc@ mailing list today.

https://marc.info/?t=152525356400001&r=1&w=2