DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 10th August 2018
parrot

I am pretty good at drifting off topic my self, I could use a cable to connect the laptop but don't have one at this time,... so any way,...
And actually I am not sure this is even related to Iridium either, that may just be a coincidence that I happened to be using Iridium when it started happening.
I am using Iridium again now and it seems fine.
Quote:
It's hard to give more specific suggestions without knowing your setup
The details on the hardware, installation are here:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=174#post64828
A big factor, and I suspect this is the cause, seems like as long as I do not have any VM's running, everything runs fine, including the Iridium browser... But if I have a VM (QEMU) running, that is when it starts acting up. I recently increased the Ram on the VMs, and that seems to be a big factor. Never had this problem with any browsers before I increased the ram on the VM's. With the VM not running, I can not even come close to duplicating the problem,... so after all said and done, I should start a new topic
on this, if I think I need to, probably the solution is to run the VM with a lower amount of ram, or just not run it when I am online... sorry about that.
In any event , I am pretty sure the iridium browser has nothing to do with this. I shut the VM off , and everything is running smoothly, no errors in the console, etc.
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

I'm posting this here as I didn't feel it warranted a separate topic and Iridium is chrome-based anyway.

Browsing ports@ I came across this message (from two months ago) highlighting the chromium build times:
Quote:
In my latest bulk build, www/chromium took almost 27 hours to build.
From the start of the bulk build, it took over 5 hours before
www/chromium could be scheduled, due to the dependency chain
www/gtk+3 < x11/gnome/librsvg < lang/rust < devel/llvm.
The total bulk build time was 32 hours. Everything other than
chromium had finished after 21 hours from the start of the build.
In a follow-up he managed to reduce the build time to 9 hours tweaking the dpb options.

Even at 9 hours: ^2
Old 17th October 2018
Too dumb for a smartphone

Looks like we're getting close to the point where once software builds, it's already obsolete.
Old 3rd July 2020
Linux

What's the current situation with Iridium Browser? Is it safe to use? Is it better than Chromium? I need a separate browser to connect to my banking account, will Iridium be the right choice?
Old 3rd July 2020
More noise than signal

I've never used it, but I can see from the port Makefile that it uses pledge(2), and the most recent version of the software is from April 2020, in both -current and 6.7-release.
Old 3rd July 2020
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

I use iridium occasionally as a fall-back option to Firefox. Although Firefox is my main browser I've configured it in a way that amounts to heavy mutilation, with the effect that in some rare instances sites may not work correctly, like twitter for example.

Iridium is pleged, as jggimi already pointed out, and also unveiled. It works the same way Firefox's unveil does with the corresponding unveil files located in /etc/iridium. You can also use chrome extensions with iridium. Codewise iridium development always lags a bit behind chrome/chromium, I think.