DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

hmpf, I should have kicked it...
UNIX lover

> Don't send a private message with a technical question. The forums are for the benefit of all, so all Q&A should take place in the forums.

Smells like some little dictator who reads the messages.

>Edit your posts if you see spelling or grammar errors (don't write in cyberchat or cyberpunk style). English only.

Well a '*g*' will certainly lead to terminal disintegration
Spam Deminer

What happened to Tru64 UNIX? Was it merged with HP-UX when HP bought Compaq?
More noise than signal

Current status

With their purchase of Compaq in 2002, HP announced their intention to migrate many of Tru64 UNIX's more innovative features (including its AdvFS file system, Trucluster, and LSM) to HP-UX, HP's existing Unix OS. In December 2004, HP announced a change of plan; they would instead use the Veritas file system and abandon the rest of the Tru64 advanced features. In the process, many of the remaining Tru64 developers were laid off.[8]
In July 2007, HP stated that they would continue to support Tru64 UNIX until at least 2012, with the next maintenance release, 5.1B-5, planned for the second half of 2008.[9]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64
Old 22nd June 2008
Spam Deminer

Well, Vermaden, that PM you posted here is still masked... can you unmask it? I never got to read what it was... now that all the chips are on the table, it would be interesting to see what it was.

And Carpetsmoker, I'm not against you funding your hosting expenses of this site as a way to carry on this awesome forum, but it would be for the right reasons... it just feels like (considering the way the he's acted) Neo runs that site as a way to make money, not simply as a way to fund the site hosting expenses. I could be very wrong, but the impression he gives via his behavior points in that direction.

Basically, if he really is just trying to fund the hosting costs alone (and not looking to have that next cash-cow of a site) then his irresponsible and immature behavior has painted him as otherwise... he's really shot himself in the foot.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
Well, Vermaden, that PM you posted here is still masked... can you unmask it? I never got to read what it was... now that all the chips are on the table, it would be interesting to see what it was.
It basically was about that unix.com links are deleted from bsdforums.org and that bsdforums.org founders first start on unix.com and then started their own forum and now they are removing any links to unix.com.

He also stated that based on that story BSD community is selfish and only wants to take without giving anything back.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 22nd June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirbo View Post
A bit over the top...

If you need to administrate so badly that you change posts arbitrarily (arguably), maybe you should get a second hobby?

Or be less of a dick?

I hear knitting is quite fun.

Then again, so is playing with forum databases. I would have reset vermaden's password instead of banning him, and then sent him a PM here asking about the PMs on UNIX forums that he didn't respond to (that I would not actually send.)

But then again, I'm fun.
Let me clarify the situation. First my post was linking bsdforums, and it was edited by you Mr. Neo or by your staff. After Carpetsmoker showed me the post i thought of inserting a link to daemonforums since bsdforums is dead and since the thread is named "How Many Technology Forums Do You Actively Participate In?" and people entered links to forums they use.

After i've read this thread and understood what is happening i thought i will remove the link to daemonforums so i don't flame any possible war.

Quote:
But then again, I'm fun.
But then again, you are *not* fun, just childish.

My apologies to the community for any problem that might have arose from this.

/v
Old 24th June 2008
New User

Default Hello from Neo

Hello.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. So, I will post to clear up a small part of the misinformation.

First of all, vermaden was banned from unix.com for posting a PM without permission, which many folks, including me, consider to be very poor net etiquette. I am sure vermaden did not mean any harm; however, this is just basic net etiquette 101 in my view. Combining this with the fact that he has made very little contribution to our forums, and mostly posts links back to other forums, I did what any reasonable forum admin would do. Posting our PM was the last straw, not the first one.

OK, that is all I have to say.

Best of luck. I look forward to seeing your community grow!

If you have any further questions or issues, please login at www.unix.com and send me a PM (don't worry we will not post your PMs from over there). We don't permit these type of "less than productive" public discussions in the public forums at unix.com.

Neo

PS: Look forward to cooperating in the future!

Last edited by Neo; 24th June 2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 24th June 2008
Shell Scout

Doesn't sound like a very friendly place to me.

"reasonable admin"? I at least give my members 3 warnings before just arbitrarily banning them.

Posting PMs is a matter of personal choice. I allow it on my forum unless it is personally sensitive material. Of course, everybody has a different opinion.

Your forum is some place I may have visited had I known about it. hearing it first hand from the admin, I think I'll just stay here, hell, maybe I'll even keep hanging out on the Ubuntu forums.....much more accomodating.

-Tim
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
Doesn't sound like a very friendly place to me.
  • Whitewashing an entire site based on the opinion of one person is rather short-sighted, even if the opinion expressed is that of an Admin. Communities are more than that.
  • If different communities operate differently, great. In fact, I hope different communities act differently. Moreover, I would become nervous if they didn't.
  • Thinking that the way we operate here is the only way in which forum communities can & should operate is unhealthy. I'm sure there are good & bad practices everywhere. Even here.
While expressing esprit de corp is fine, this discussion is increasingly becoming polarized as "us" vs. "them". Continuing to go down this road is not only non-productive, it can be harmful. Everyone has had their say. Let's all move on.
Old 24th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

I do not know what wrongs were done to you by the BSDForums people in the past, I do know it all happened long before I joined and that I have no part in it, the same applies to most (If not all) of the members here.
Holding me responsible for these actions is like holding contemporary Spanish people responsible for the slaughter of the native Americans, or contemporary Italians for the invasion (and slaughter) of the Gaulish people ...

I think have explained this very clearly several times already, I think I have also backed it up by adding unix.com to the list of links and starting this thread.

I would like to be friends with all other communities and forums that are out there, including unix.com, I do not see other forums as competition but as an addition and complementary to DaemonForums, many people here (Myself included) are in fact active members of other forums.
If someone is better of posting a question at another forum then I will glad to point him/her there, the internet is more than large enough for all of us ...

Unfortunately you make it very difficult to be friends with, I have the distinct impression that no matter what I say you are convinced of my bad intent, the problem here is that there is no bad intent/feelings towards unix.com on my part.

Don't get me wrong, unix.com is your site, you pay for it, you make the rules, I respect that, but at the same time I find your actions (banning vermaden, removing links to DaemonForums, deleting my PM-box) rather unfriendly and not very sociable.

In any case, I have no hard feelings toward unix.com, but these false accusations will have to stop.
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Hello.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. So, I will post to clear up a small part of the misinformation.

First of all, vermaden was banned from unix.com for posting a PM without permission, which many folks, including me, consider to be very poor net etiquette. I am sure vermaden did not mean any harm; however, this is just basic net etiquette 101 in my view. Combining this with the fact that he has made very little contribution to our forums, and mostly posts links back to other forums, I did what any reasonable forum admin would do. Posting our PM was the last straw, not the first one.
Did you warn Vermaden about his bahaviour and the consequences of what would happen if he did not heed your warnings? If you did, you're perfectly justified in banning him; if you didn't, you went too far.
Old 24th June 2008
Local

At this stage I'd ask: is there intellectual (or entertainment) value in keeping this thread open? If not - with all respect to those who have made their opinions clear - I'd request that it be closed.
Tcpdump Spy

I sent the message above (post #52) to Neo, below is his reply.
At this point I do not care about his whining, him banning me, or anything even closely related to unix.com ... Taffers.

Let this be the end of this bitchfight, Neo can think whatever he likes to think, I have remained polite, patient, and carefully explained my POV several times, and tried to clear up any misunderstatement, but it is like teaching evolution to a young earth creationist, any fact will be twisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Accusing you of what?

You are simply fanning flames of a fire that you have created in your own mind based on a private conversation with one of our members who was spamming our boards with their links back to other boards, not contributing here.

I did not post your PMs and we do not have some unproductive conversation about you or your forums on these boards.

What are you smoking?

What have you or your boards been accused of, anywhere????

You are smoking too much Carpet, me thinks.

What I really think is that you guys are just trying to draw attention to your small board with useful banter about unix.com

We don't have time for that here.

Understood?

Go away and keep posting junk on your boards. Maybe instead of a technical forum, you can be a tabloid