DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2017
just passing through

Default xenocara configuration in OpenBSD 6.1

Hi,

Today I changed my laptop from Ubuntu/LXDE to OpenBSD-6.1 and I have a few questions about X11 configuration.
  1. How can the xenodm login screen's background be set? For example, where might the command $ xsetroot -solid grey20 be placed?
  2. Why do the firefox fonts look so bad when running under dwm but look okay with fvwm?
  3. What are some of the nifty networking capabilities of X11 and how might they be configured?

Edit:
Correction - It turns out that the fonts for daemonforums look really bad in firefox regardless of the window manager.
Addition - How can the cartoon fish image on the login page be removed or changed to something else? (I'm not really into mascots or cartoons).

Thanks!

Last edited by hanzer; 4th May 2017 at 03:12 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2017
Arp Constable

Quote:
How can the xenodm login screen's background be set? For example, where might the command $ xsetroot -solid grey20 be placed?
/etc/X11/xenodm/Xsetup_0

Quote:
Why do the firefox fonts look so bad when running under dwm but look okay with fvwm?
Firefox tries to match the fonts specified by the website to what is available in Xorg. Usually if you install fonts/msttcorefonts or specify in Firefox's configuration to use your own fonts they should look better. www/chromium and www/iridium come with their own fonts.

Quote:
What are some of the nifty networking capabilities of X11 and how might they be configured?
I think X11 forwarding via a secure shell is nifty.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2017
just passing through

This modification to /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsetup_0 does it. Thanks!
Code:
if [ "$DISPLAY" = ":0" -o "$DISPLAY" = ":0.0" ]
then
        xsetroot -solid grey20
        xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
fi
I installed fonts/msttcorefonts and some others. My approach to modifying the font path (~/.xsession below) seems a bit shallow but it works - Firefox fonts look good now. Thanks!
Code:
export ENV=$HOME/.kshrc
xset +fp /usr/local/lib/share/fonts/noto &
xset +fp /usr/local/lib/share/fonts/mscorefonts &
xset +fp /usr/local/lib/share/fonts/ghostscript &
xset +fp /usr/local/lib/share/fonts/terminus &
xset +fp /usr/local/lib/share/fonts/ubuntu &
xset -b &
xsetroot -solid grey20 &
dwm
Nice reference, I was not aware of www/iridium. Tinkering with it now.

Quote:
I think X11 forwarding via a secure shell is nifty.
My laptop and server are low-resource/heavy-load machines on a wired LAN with no untrusted connections. (Although, the server does gateway/NAT to the Internet).

On a whim, I was considering a richer configuration with native X11 transports but I suppose, from a best practices type of security perspective, that might be poor form.
--

For the cartoon fish on the xenodm login screen - this directory /etc/X11/xenodm/pixmaps/ contains these files:
Code:
OpenBSD_15bpp.xpm   OpenBSD_1bpp.xpm    OpenBSD_4bpp.xpm    OpenBSD_8bpp.xpm
which are X PixMap files. Presumably, these files could be replaced with an alternative image.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2017
just passing through

Changing the xenodm login screen logo turns out to be fairly straightforward. I used graphics/gimp to scale an image (166x166 works) and export it as xpm format. That file (StarFleet.xpm in this case) is copied into the /etc/X11/xenodm/pixmaps/ directory. Then the file /etc/X11/xenodm/Xresources is modified to point to the new logo:
Code:
    120 #ifdef bpp15
    121 #xlogin*logoFileName: /etc/X11/xenodm/pixmaps/OpenBSD_15bpp.xpm
    122 xlogin*logoFileName: /etc/X11/xenodm/pixmaps/StarFleet.xpm
    123 #endif
(The line numbers are the result of : set nu in vi - they're not part of the file).

Now I just need to find a cool logo for the login screen...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2017
Arp Constable

I do not frequently use xconsole so I comment it out and append my xsetroot. (You can always invoke xconsole from a terminal if needed.)
Code:
PooBear$ cat /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsetup_0
#!/bin/sh
# $OpenBSD: Xsetup_0,v 1.1 2016/10/23 08:30:37 matthieu Exp $
#if [ "$DISPLAY" = ":0" -o "$DISPLAY" = ":0.0" ]
#then
        #xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
#fi
xsetroot -solid "#172636"
I originally used this Customizing XDM
and if you really want to tweak XDM Shutdown Buttons

Last edited by shep; 6th May 2017 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Added Linux journal link